Upgraded to 1.0.15 and now having trouble restoring database

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
zoeselina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Upgraded to 1.0.15 and now having trouble restoring database

Post by zoeselina » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi,

I recently successfully upgraded to 1.0.15 but when I upgraded to the latest version of Virtuemart I lost my content. It was still available in the backend through the content menu, but would not show up on the site.

The advice I was given was to restore the database, so I exported it using phpmyadmin, dropped the tables and then tried to import it again. I keep getting errors such as:

Code: Select all

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '--
I can't find a solution to this anywhere except from people saying to choose other options when exporting. Well it's a bit too late for that now. Please tell me there's a solution! I'm desperate! :'(

dragonrider
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Upgraded to 1.0.15 and now having trouble restoring database

Post by dragonrider » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:32 pm

I'm sorry but I think I have some bad news for you, you should have exported the database BEFORE you made the change.

Exporting a database after a major error will only export the error with it. Have you not got an earlier backup of your database? If so, import that into your db and hope.

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:36 pm

I recently successfully upgraded to 1.0.15 but when I upgraded to the latest version of Virtuemart I lost my content. It was still available in the backend through the content menu, but would not show up on the site.
I'd try to disable the Virtuemart Modules and Mambots. See if the content comes back.

zoeselina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zoeselina » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:19 pm

SOLVED: I've sorted it out now. I had two problems: I couldn't restore my database (kept getting a syntax error) and my content was missing with the Virtuemart module. I have solved both and wanted to post the solution in case anyone else runs into either of the same problems.

To restore the database I had to open the sql dump in an editor other than notepad (I used Dreamweaver) and remove the line breaks that were occurring at the beginnings of the create table and dump data commands. I then had to copy and paste the sql into phpMyAdmin manually, rather than trying to import it as a file.

To bring back my content after upgrading Virtuemart, all I had to do was delete the mosproductsnap mambot. The Virtuemart forum posts suggest that you should also delete the files "mambots/vmproductsnapshots.php" and "mambots/vmproductsnapshots.xml" but this was not necessary for me to get my content back. Hoorah! :D

zoeselina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zoeselina » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:21 pm

dragonrider wrote:I'm sorry but I think I have some bad news for you, you should have exported the database BEFORE you made the change.

Exporting a database after a major error will only export the error with it. Have you not got an earlier backup of your database? If so, import that into your db and hope.
I actually had exports from before and after the upgrade, but neither of them would restore without the syntax error. However, it's all sorted now. :)

Return to “Upgrading - 1.0.x”