No sections, just categories

mino.b
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

No sections, just categories

Post by mino.b » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:27 am

I wish I could post articles into sections. Even better to lose the sections, and have categories able to contain other categories. It happens pretty often a site's category contains articles and subcategories. This way I have to create a couple category-section. Example:

Category Travel has 1 article and 1 subsection. When I want to add these to the section/category Travel, I create a category "Travel" to host the article, and section "Travel" to host the subsection. Everything needs to be typed in twice, any change in title and similar needs double effort. Also explaining this to clients is sometimes pain.

Thanks

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: No sections, just categories

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:30 am

I hardly use sections at all, and I stack categories all the time. Just drive your hierarchy off of your menu. You are thinking in the right direction. I have hardly found anyone else who agrees with me - sections should go away!

mouloud
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: No sections, just categories

Post by mouloud » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 am

+1
a categories/ infinite subcategories system would be ggggrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaattt !!! And, of course, a SEF system linked to that. So we could reproduce the directory structure of a static web site, which google would looooove !!!
Edit : I removed the last part of my message after reading this thread http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,10894.90.html
It seems that this request is known by all developpers, but hard work to do, so we just have to wait, and eventually help.
Thanks again for everything, and i'll ask every core team for mariage when we'll have nested category !  ;D
Last edited by mouloud on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wishlists and Feature Requests - Archive”