Open Source Licenses are No Laughing Matter

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Open Source Licenses are No Laughing Matter

Post by NivF007 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 am

Okay, after a heated debate on open source licensing - it's time to have some fun and hopefully some laughs.

Please keep it humorous, simple, stupid, funny whatever - just no debates on this thread - this just intended for pure silly uber-geeky fun.

(I'm hoping we can all get a few laughs and help folks learn a bit about the differences between OS licenses).

-------------------------

I'll start it off:

How people from Colorado understand Open Source Licensing

GPL: Dudes! I've got this great crop. I can give you some seeds and you can grow some great s--t with them but only if you share the seeds of all your crops with all your brothers and sisters so they can get high too.

LGPL: Yo sista! I've got this great crop. I can give you some seeds and you can grow some great s--t with them but only if you share the seeds from those crops with all your brothers and sisters so they can get the same buzz.

MIT/BSD: Let's just roll up that free s--t and smoke it.

-----------------------

The strategic marketing paradigm of Open Source is a massively-parallel drunkard's walk filtered by a Darwinistic process.

- Bruce Perens
-----------------------

Open Source Licenses in Plain English

Disclaimer
I don't claim this software is good for anything. If you think it is, cool. If it doesn't work, that's too bad.
If you lose a million because it crashes, it's you that loses a million, not I. If you don't like this disclaimer, that's too bad.

I reserve the right to do the absolute minimum provided by law, up to and including absolutely nothing.

This is basically the same disclaimer that comes with all software packages
but this one is written in plain English, theirs is written in Legalese and BaffleGab.

I didn't want to include any disclaimer at all, but lawyers showed up and insisted.

License Agreement:
You are a criminal for even thinking about using this software.

Modified from: http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/7 ... agreement/

-----------------------------

The WTFPL (v2)

DO WHAT THE F--K YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, December 2002

Copyright (C) 2002 Forrest Gump <[email protected]>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE F--K YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

1. Just DO WHAT THE F--K YOU WANT TO.

Interesting facts about WTFPL: This license is actually in use by some projects. Potlatch, an online editor of the OpenStreetMap project, as well as its more recent equivalent iD, are released under the WTFPL.

It differs from public domain in that an author can use this license if they do not necessarily have the possibility to place their work in the public domain according to their local laws.

-----------------------------

errr...okay...so I'm hoping other people's jokes will be actually much more funny...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “OpenSourceMatters.org”