Help Screens 1.0.x Suggestions, Corrections etc

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Help Screens 1.0.x Suggestions, Corrections etc

Post by humvee » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 am

Hi,
1. "User Manager" help screen at Help site, you must retype the key reference to "screen.users" (now the key reference is "screen.users.edit").

2. "User Manager [ User : Edit ]" help screen at Help site, you must retype the key reference to "screen.users.edit" (now the key reference is "screen.users.edit2").
Completed.
3. "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" help screen. We have mentioned it above (the help button links to "Menu Item: Link - Content Item"). You said the key reference (screen.menus) is placed into the correct Help Screen. Perhaps it can be duplicated (see "Menu Item: Link - Content Item" at Help Site).

4. "Site Mambots: New / Edit" help screen. This could be a similar issue (the help button links to "Site Mambot: MOS Image"). If the key reference (screen.mambots.edit) is placed into the correct Help Screen, you can check if it is duplicated (see "Site Mambot: MOS Image" at Help Site).
Remains an issue and with some weird behaviour. As said before this may not be resolved at this time and will not ultimately be allowed to stop release of the help pack.
Note: Solution you have adopted for "Template Manager [Site]" Help Screen (the strategy redirecting to the correct screen) could be applied to another cases (see the review for issues highlighted in orange color) => Perhaps you are already doing it
Seeing as it seems quite an effective way of dealing with the issue - I thought I might abandon the idea! :-\

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:10 am

humvee wrote:Seeing as it seems quite an effective way of dealing with the issue - I thought I might abandon the idea! :-\
Why? Contradictory ideas for me  ???.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Why? Contradictory ideas for me  .

English humour, don't worry about it. Yes the changes are being made.

Andy

morvenwestfield
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Suggestion: Add a pointer for How to Upgrade a Component

Post by morvenwestfield » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 pm

I'm a relative newbie and all I've done so far is INSTALL components. Recently I needed to UPGRADE a component, but I didn't know how.  I looked in the documentation and help, but didn't find any reference to upgrading. (Of course, I could have been looking in the wrong place.)

I posted a question asking how to upgrade in the Upgrading section of this forum:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,146380.0.html

The answer is:
Unfortunately, there is no standard for this. Most components do not delete the data when uninstalling, this means it is best to check this out before installing.
Based on that, I opened the Zip file for the component and found a text file called "Installation" which indeed did tell me how to upgrade and preserve my data.

Suggestion: Somewhere in the doc and component installation help, mention that there ISN'T a standard way to upgrade a component and that the administrator should check for installation instructions or a README. Yeah, I know that sounds obvious, but I didn't know if it varied from component to component, or if there was a Joomla-standard way to do it.

Thanks for all your hard work,
Morven
Last edited by humvee on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keve
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Suggestion for "Users: Access Control Levels" Page 2 of 3

Post by Keve » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:23 pm

What is written under Author, Editor and Publisher sections:

A new Menu Item link will need to be added to one of the web site Menus to allow the Author to access this function.

and

A new Menu Item link will need to be added to one of the web site Menus to allow the Editor to access this function.

and

A new Menu Item link will need to be added to one of the web site Menus to allow the Publisher to access this function directly for any unpublished Content.

???

It is not clear what to do or why. How does one creates a new menu item link so these groups can access the appropriate functions (whatever that means)? Do you mean that even though I make a user a front-end publisher, that person will not be able to publish items until I add some link to some function in the user menu? An example to illustrate would  help. And a link to additional topics on adding menu item links would also help the newer Joomla administrators.
Last edited by humvee on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Suggestion for "Users: Access Control Levels" Page 2 of 3

Post by humvee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:01 am

Hi Keve,

Thanks for the suggestion I will recheck the format of this screen  and adjust it as appropriate.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback, let me know if there are any other anomaly's that you find like this.

Regards

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Suggestion: Add a pointer for How to Upgrade a Component

Post by humvee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:06 am

Hi Morven,

I will take a look at this and will make any necessary recommended changes to the Dev Doc Team who manage the Installation manual side of things.

There is also a fairly useful section in the FAQ's forum that deals with upgrading with lots of different scenarios tht people have encountered and resolved so might be worth giving that a shot if you are still experiencing difficulties.

Thanks for the feedback, and please let us know of any other ideas you have or problems you find, we will act upon them

Regards

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi Morven,

Just to correct this: I misread your post and I have added a line to the Help Screens and will flag this for the User Manual too.

Thanks

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Also added a note to the Module and Mambot Installer pages

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Suggestion for "Users: Access Control Levels" Page 2 of 3

Post by humvee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi

Modifications/additions made to the text in line with above suggestion.

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi Andy,

Here the list we have talked about:

A) New redirect links:

1. "Category Manager [ Content: All ]" => Include redirect links to => "Contact Category Manager" , "News Feed Category Manager" , "Web Link Category Manager"

2. "Category: New or Edit [Content:All]" => Include redirect links to: "Contact Category: New or Edit", "News Feed Category: New or Edit", "Web Link Category: New or Edit"

3. "Module Manager [ Site ]" => Include redirect link to: "Module Manager [ Administrator ]"

4. "Site Modules: New" => Include redirect link to "Admin Module: New"

B) A special case for "Admin Modules: Edit" feature:

1. First create "Admin Modules: Edit" Help Screen (include a list of all Joomla! Admin Modules).

2. Go to "Site Modules: Edit" and include a redirect link to "Admin Modules: Edit".

C) Minor issues at help site (rename titles):

1. "Site Mambot: MOS Image" => "Site Mambot: Edit [ MOS Image ]"

2. "Site Mambot: [ Load Module Positions ]" => "Site Mambot: Edit [ Load Module Positions ]"

3. "Site Mambot Edit [ Search Contacts ]" => Include a colon between "Mambot" and "Edit"

D) Another minor issues:

1. Go to "Messages New" Help Screen => See "Message Inbox" as incorrect link (on Related Information)

2. Go to "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" Help Screen => See "[ User Menu" redirect link => Include a "]".

Perhaps could be another minor issues on links, but they'll remain for a later review  :D.

______

Help Wrapped - Index:

I have experimented a index on the wrapped help (see the image attached). But it requires some work:

1) Create new help screens as index of each menu,
2) Associate key references to them, and
3) Create html files including a numbered title into the tag (example: 01. Home Menu ).

It's only a suggestion. Don't attach too much importance to it (you have worked very very much).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Leandro,

A thru D completed.

Thanks

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Andy,

Have a look to "Admin Module: Edit" Help Screen. There are two errors:

1) See text: "The following table shows all the Site Modules that are installed, by default, by Joomla! Select the relevant Module to see the specific Parameters of it".

Retype to: "The following table shows all the Admin Modules that are installed, by default, by Joomla! Select the relevant Module to see the specific Parameters of it".

2) Incorrect link: "Admin Module: New" (see Related Information)

Cheers,
Leandro
Last edited by leadict on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:05 am

Hi,

Both done thx

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: [REVIEW]Install plug in vs. component/mambot

Post by humvee » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi,
jefferis wrote: I am finding some items labeled as plugins but they are failing with both mambot  and component  and module installers.
ERROR: Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.
[ Continue ... ]
Upload component - Failed
Installation file not found:
/usr/www/users/name/tacky/media/install_45b8f229d7cfc/plug_cbprofilegallery/
[ Continue ... ]

Upload new mambot - Error
Installation file not found:
/usr/www/users/name/tacky/administrator/components/com_installer/mambot/
[ Continue ... ]

Docs on plugins would be helpful

[Edit: Marked for review for HS & UM]
This has now been added to the Help Screens.
Thanks for the suggestion.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Andy,

Please, have a look to the following thread:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,149236.0.html

(It reports a problem with "What's New in Version 1.0.0" redirect link into wrapped help).

PS: Another minor subject. Maybe the "Add Menu Item: Component **NEW**" Help Screen can be renamed as the rest of "Menu Items" by deleting the word: "Add".

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 pm

leadict wrote: Andy,

Please, have a look to the following thread:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,149236.0.html

(It reports a problem with "What's New in Version 1.0.0" redirect link into wrapped help).

Hi, Yep I have responded to this and also requested the item be moved to this forum
PS: Another minor subject. Maybe the "Add Menu Item: Component **NEW**" Help Screen can be renamed as the rest of "Menu Items" by deleting the word: "Add".
This is a deliberate leave so as to distinguish it from the other Menu Item: Components [component_name] screens that are created from it.

Thx

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:41 pm

Andy,

Section Manager Help Screen:

1) Check text:
Delete: Check the check box next to the Section to be deleted. Click the Delete icon to delete the Section selected. A cautionary pop up dialogue will appear asking for confirmation of the proposed deletion. Click the OK button to delete the Category. Select the Cancel button to abort the delete operation.

Delete: Check the check box next to the Section to be deleted. Click the Delete icon to delete the Section selected. A cautionary pop up dialogue will appear asking for confirmation of the proposed deletion. Click the OK button to delete the Section. Select the Cancel button to abort the delete operation.

2) Check description:
Reorder: Change the order that the Sections are displayed within the Section Manager. Click the  up or  down direction mini-icons to increase, or decrease, the Section's position in the list by one. Repeat as necessary. Click the save order mini-icon next to the Order heading to save the new order.

You don't need to click the save order mini-icon when you use the arrows to reorder the sections (once you click the arrow the order is automatically saved).

Note: The last issue affects to all help screens in which the Reorder function is available.
Last edited by leadict on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Sorry I missed doing this one :(

Edit on Section Manager done.

Removal of "save" element on re-order description done  - hopefully on all relevant screens.

Thanks

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:36 pm

- REVIEW OF BLOG MENU ITEMS HELP SCREENS-

1) SPECIFIC ISSUES:

Blog - Content Section
You can select more than one section. So there are two definitions to update:

1. See Description:

The Blog - Content Section Menu Item is a shortcut to a Blog style page showing Intro Text of all the published Content Items of a particular Section. It is possible to change the way in which they appear on the display page by changing the number of columns the articles are divided between.

Update to:

The Blog - Content Section Menu Item is a shortcut to a Blog style page showing a number of Content Items'Intro Text. These Content Items may come from a single Section, Multiple Sections, or All Sections as defined below. It is possible to change the way in which they appear on the display page by changing the number of columns the articles are divided between.

2. See Details:

Section: Select the Section from the list of defined Sections to which this Menu Item will create a shortcut.

Update to:

Selection: Select the Section, multiple Sections, or All Sections from the list of installed Sections to which this Menu Item will create a shortcut.

=> BTW: In Joomla! 1.5 i have noticed that you can't select more than one section on Blog Section Layout. I don't know if this is done intentionally.
Blog - Content Section Archive
You can't select multiple sections. The only you can do is select one or all (i don't know if this is a bug). So there would be two definitions to update:

1. See Description:

The Blog - Content Section Archive, Menu Item is a shortcut to a Blog style page showing a number of Archived Content Items' Intro Text. It is possible to change the way in which the Content Items appear on the display page simply by changing the number of columns the articles are divided between.

Update to:

The Blog - Content Section Archive, Menu Item is a shortcut to a Blog style page showing a number of Archived Content Items' Intro Text. These Content Items may come from a single Section or All Sections as defined below. It is possible to change the way in which the Content Items appear on the display page simply by changing the number of columns the articles are divided between.

2. See Details:

Section: Select the Archive Section, from the list of defined Sections, to which this Menu Item will create a shortcut. This field is not editable once the New Menu Item has been saved for the first time. Select multiple Sections or All Sections.

Update to:

Section: Select the Archive Section, from the list of defined Sections, to which this Menu Item will create a shortcut. This field is not editable once the New Menu Item has been saved for the first time. Select a single Section or All Sections.
Blog - Content Category
The title is duplicated.
2) COMMON ISSUES:

Regarding the Category Order and Primary Order parameters there is a little difference between the definitions used for:
Example of 1.0.12 Help Screens:

Category Order: Select the order in which the Categories will be displayed within the target page display . There are four choices:

- No, Order by Primary Order Only: Orders the Categories within the selected Section in accordance with the Primary Order setting configured in the next field.
- Title Alphabetical: Orders the Categories, within the selected Section, alphabetically in ascending (A-Z) order, based on their individual Title headings.
- Title Reverse-Alphabetical: Orders the Categories, within the selected Section, alphabetically in descending (Z-A) order, based on their individual Title headings.
- Ordering: Orders the Categories in accordance with the Order settings in the Category Manager for that particular Section, then by the Primary Order (as specified in the Primary Order field).

Primary Order: The Primary Order determines the Order in which the individual Content Items are displayed within the target display page. The Primary Order is applied after the Category Order.

Example of 1.5 Help Screens: (Note: I have adapted it to the 1.0.12 terminology).

Category Order: If the page displays Content Items from several Categories, the Content Items can be grouped by Category, then by primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field, described below). In this drop-down menu, one of the following options can be selected:

- No, Order by Primary Ordering Only: Arranges Content Items only by primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field, described below), regardless of category.
- Title Alphabetical: Arranges Content Items first by Category in alphabetical order, then by the primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field).
- Title Reverse-Alphabetical: Arranges Content Items first by Category in reverse alphabetical order, then by the primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field).
- Ordering: Arranges Content Items first by Category order as set in the Category Manager, then by the primary order (as specified in the Primary Order field).

Primary Order: This controls the order that the Content Items will be displayed in. The setting in the Category Order field (described above) takes precedence. In this drop-down menu, one of the following options can be selected:
I think the second option is more precise, because the Categories are not displayed in the practice. The blog display the Content Items, and these can be grouped (or arranged) by Category.

Anyway there are another problems with the options descriptions inside the Order Category at 1.0.12 Help Screens. I will list them:

1. "Blog - Content Section" and "Blog - Content Section Archive":

You can select more than one Section in both screens, so talking of "selected Section" is not proper (i think).

2. "Blog - Content Category":

First of all, you don't select a Section in this layout. You select one or multiple Categories. So the definitions are incorrect.
Then, the Ordering option definition also is incorrect. The order setting is placed in the Category Manager not the Section Manager.

Conclusion: I think the above 1.5 HS descriptions of Order Category and Primary Order would be good for the three 1.0.12 Help Screens: "Blog - Content Section", "Blog - Content Section Archive" and "Blog - Content Category". Perhaps improving the "'Title Alphabetical" and "Title Reverse-Alphabetical" parameters definitions.

I hope this be useful :).

Regards
Leandro

Tigre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tigre » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:10 pm

First - thanks to the team behind Joomla.  You prove that open source matters!

When testing the mass mail component in 1.012 i noticed that the sender (in this case me as super administrator) does not receive a mail when i.e the super administrator group is selected. Only other superadministrators.

It makes it difficult to test the output directly.
It should be mentioned in the help screen, or better: - corrected?

Best regards

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi Tigre,

Thanks for the note,

If I am testing something like this I just set up a dummy user account at whichever level is required.

I would not consider this an "error" in the system.

Andy

JayB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JayB » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:30 pm

On the help page for... 

Site Mambot: Edit [ MOS Pagination ]

... let's add something that says pagination isn't applyed when the artical is viewed on the Front Page.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi JayB

Thanks for the suggestion and we will take this into consideration :)

Regards

Andy

Return to “Suggestions, Modifications, and Corrections”