Revising or commenting

braiswick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Revising or commenting

Post by braiswick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:20 pm

Perhaps I've not found the right pages, but having logged into the Workshop I started to look at Chapter 1

Is there a conventional Wiki method of editing? At the bottom of the first screen for Chapter 1 I was referred to this Forum, where I can't see any amendments.

My changes for the first paragraph would be;

Do you want to easily design and publish your own Web site?

Joomla! is just the ticket for you!

Joomla! takes the worry out of creating Web pages. You do not need to understand how to program. You'll work through your usual Web browser.

If you can use a standard word processor, like Open Office Writer or MS Word, then you can manage a Web site using Joomla!

Simple... Quick... And easy!

But adding these here is not feasible. Is it?
Trevor Lockwood

Michelle Bisson
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Revising or commenting

Post by Michelle Bisson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:49 am

braiswick ,
Is there a conventional Wiki method of editing?
We are using the Workshop site for writing, editing and proof-reading 1.5 Help Screens.  Once you are granted publisher rights, you can edit any of the Help Screens.

My preference would be for you to focus on any two Help Screens in the   which will take you about 5 hours. 

http://help.joomla.org/workshop/index.p ... Itemid=234
The instructions are there.  What is most important is that you submit your backup of the Help Screen that you are working on? The instructions are on the top of each Help Screen.

If you are wanting to edit 1.0.x Administrator manual or Help Screens, then
please post here: Help Screens - Administrator - Joomla! 1.0.x Updating as Andy is coordinating it.
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,115661.0.html

At the bottom of the first screen for Chapter 1 I was referred to this Forum, where I can't see any amendments.

My changes for the first paragraph would be;

Do you want to easily design and publish your own Web site?

Joomla! is just the ticket for you!
Is this from 1.0.x Administrator Manual?  It would be helpful if you could post links so that we know what you are talking about.

Joomla! takes the worry out of creating Web pages. You do not need to understand how to program. You'll work through your usual Web browser.

If you can use a standard word processor, like Open Office Writer or MS Word, then you can manage a Web site using Joomla!

Simple... Quick... And easy!

But adding these here is not feasible. Is it?[/quote]
Michelle Bisson, POPcliQ, http://www.popcliq.com
Joomla / OSM Trademarks Team Member

braiswick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

First revision

Post by braiswick » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:37 am

Michelle

The revision I added was taken from http://help.joomla.org/content/view/467/270/

My simple brain doesn't really know whether that's 1.0 or 1.5 - so perhaps the template for each should be a different colour, so it's immediately obvious which version is being edited?

For beginners I believe it is useful to describe the overall scheme in simple terms, and we should introduce the whole project, and each section in more detail.

The Help Screen approach is limiting. For example I want to add audio and video file in version 1.0 - as far as I am aware there's no mention of this facility, except that there is a Media Manager, so it can be presumed we are talking about more than graphics: but then the screens talk of Images, not of all types of media.

Incidentally I can't load audio files through the Media Manager, the screen always times out whatever the size of file, and there's no obvious system to add audio visual files to Joomla! content pages.
Trevor Lockwood

Michelle Bisson
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Michelle Bisson » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:06 am

The revision I added was taken from http://help.joomla.org/content/view/467/270/
My simple brain doesn't really know whether that's 1.0 or 1.5 - so perhaps the template for each should be a different colour, so it's immediately obvious which version is being edited?
@Andy, can you verify this.  It would be good if we included the text of 1.0.x or 1.5 in the title of each page on the Help Site.
For beginners I believe it is useful to describe the overall scheme in simple terms, and we should introduce the whole project, and each section in more detail.

The Help Screen approach is limiting. For example I want to add audio and video file in version 1.0 - as far as I am aware there's no mention of this facility, except that there is a Media Manager, so it can be presumed we are talking about more than graphics: but then the screens talk of Images, not of all types of media.
We know that the Help Screen approach is limiting.  That is why, we are starting to put links to other relevant documentation.

Actually, we encourage those in the community to write 3 party indepth tutorials which we would like to publish in the Recommended Reading section on the Help Site.

Are you interested in helping write the missing content for some of the Help Screens?

braiswick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by braiswick » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:25 am

Michelle

Yes I am willing to help. I've tried to Skype you, but our times are askew.

I'm not technically competent enough to create the initial pages, but have had great success in the past in 'translating' statements made by developers into English that everyone can understand. Looking at some screens, which have clearly been written by people with English as a second language, they could be tidied up. That's where I would like to help.
Trevor Lockwood

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:38 am

@Andy, can you verify this.  It would be good if we included the text of 1.0.x or 1.5 in the title of each page on the Help Site.
I would think that as it is taken from the Administrator 1.0.x section of the Help Screens or is accessed via the 1.0.x release Help buttons of the core system even newbies would see the association. The titles of the pages are already quite long and adding something else could in fact be detrimental.

If it must be added then I would suggest at the 1st line of the page itself Version: 1.0.x.. This could serve a secondary purpose of showing for which particular release of Joomla! a Help Screen has been updated for.

Anyway back to the original post it is from the Administrator Manual for 1.0.x, it is labelled as a Work in Progress as it was never originally completed by anyone. That said I am not clear what the point is:
But adding these here is not feasible. Is it?
What  do you mean by this?

Please clarify

Thanks

Andy

braiswick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by braiswick » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:56 am

Andy

As a newbie I can only say that I did not see the association. A change of colour of the template is all that is needed - extra words will get lost.

Since I made the original post Michelle has pointed out that edit facilities are only available to publishers - but I've not been granted that privilege, so cannot edit any content.

There are screens that direct people to this forum if they have any suggestions or changes, but it is not immediately clear that author or publisher access is required.

I'm concerned with simplicity and clarity. Once you become immersed in a subject assumptions are made that it all so easy - what are people talking about, isn't it obvious?

My reply is: no it is not, but with some minor changes, it could be.
Trevor Lockwood

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:11 am

My reply is: no it is not, but with some minor changes, it could be.
Hi braiswick,

The only assumption that is made as far as I can see is that someone new to Joomla! isn't going to read just the first paragraph of the first section of the first chapter of the manual.

Within two sections is:
What Joomla! is not
Joomla! is not a self-contained web-hosting server package with everything you need to run your own web server. Joomla! does require some understanding of, or a lot of experimentation with...
So the first paragraph is the bait to get people's interest and is defined further in the document.

Andy

braiswick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by braiswick » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:14 am

Andy

You must understand that newcomers are easily confused, and our task - as help screen writers - should be to ease their experience. The suggestion that it will be difficult but so what, you must concentrate is not productive.

I'd be very surprised if I'm the only one who has blundered around, trying to work out what is going on, before gaining some understanding.

Joomla! is intended to make web site design and maintenance easy.
Trevor Lockwood

Michelle Bisson
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Michelle Bisson » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:17 am

Trevor,

Please send me an email next week if you are available using the contact us form on the Doc team Workshop site so we can arrange chatting on skype.
http://help.joomla.org/workshop/index.p ... Itemid=287

I checked and you should have access to the workshop site.  Please verify.
http://help.joomla.org/workshop/

Michelle

Return to “Archive”