[Not So Solved Anymore] Odd Registration Issue

Please see sticky inside.
Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

[Not So Solved Anymore] Odd Registration Issue

Post by Lottario » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:48 pm

When a user registers for my site (alright, when I test-register for my site, since its not live), my admin email account recieves an email, as it should, however, another email account also recieves an email.  I've tried it twice, and its gone to a different email account each time, but they've both been @premium8.geo.yahoo8.akadns.net.

No other emails that I recieve on my admin email account go to any other email address.  This is really weird, not to mention a major security risk for when the sites ready to go online.

Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?  Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Lottario on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Odd Registration Issue

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 am

Lottario, i don't understand you very well. What do you want to mean with a different e-mail account each time? Please explain each step you do, and what type of user/e-mail get the messages (I would like to clarify this issue).
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Odd Registration Issue

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:17 pm

All I do is register a new account from the frontend.  Joomla! then sends the email associated with my admin account an email telling me that a new person registered, along with username/password info for that user, which is what is supposed to happen.  However, this email also gets sent to another account which I've never seen before.  In the two times I've tried this, the email account thats not supposed to get the email has been different, but each time has been @premium8.geo.yahoo8.akadns.net.

For example, one of the emails would be along the lines of:

To: [email protected] (the admin address), [email protected] (the unwanted email address)

A new member has registered.
Name: name
Username: username
Password: password

Obviously, this is very troubling to me, as I don't want some random email address recieving username/password info.  I've also tried sending an email from my email account to my email account outside of Joomla! just in case it was a problem with that, but no strange email address occurred then.

EDIT: Upgraded to the latest nightly build, and now I think I understand what was going on.  The first part of the email (before the @) was what I had entered in the email field before the @ sign, but after the @ sign, it changed where it was sending to for some reason.  This doesn't occur in the latest nightly build, however.  It sends it to the my admin email, and the email I entered when I filled out the registration.

It was a very strange error, but it seems to be fixed now :)
Last edited by Lottario on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: [SOLVED (It Seems)] Odd Registration Issue

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:27 pm

There were done changes recently in user register feature, so perhaps it can be related with the issue you had experienced:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,175571.0.html
Also, possibly you have already seen the following thread, i think it can be interesting to you :pop:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,191700.0.html
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Hmm... that user register change occured before I even knew about Joomla! though.  It'd have to be something changed in the last week that would have fixed this.  I'm not seeing anything in the changelog that seems directly related though... ah well, the important thing is its fixed, right? :)

And yes, I've been watching that thread fairly closely :).  Its a little worrying that ianmac and Hackwar seem to be disagreeing on how hard data transfer will be (they should have the same information on the subject I'd think), but at least it sounds doable.  It looks like I might have to come back and do some upgrades to my site when the RC comes out (I'm passing the site off to others in about a month and a half).  Well, I knew what I was getting into when I started with the Beta (but really, how could I resist?  Betas are just so much fun :)).

As always, thanks very much for your help  ;D

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Lottario wrote: Hmm... that user register change occured before I even knew about Joomla! though.  It'd have to be something changed in the last week that would have fixed this.  I'm not seeing anything in the changelog that seems directly related though... ah well, the important thing is its fixed, right? :)
Yes, but that rework was implemented recently and i think in the last days there were done changes to it (see for example this report). Anyway, if you experienced again that problem, you could open a specific report.
Lottario wrote: And yes, I've been watching that thread fairly closely :).  Its a little worrying that ianmac and Hackwar seem to be disagreeing on how hard data transfer will be (they should have the same information on the subject I'd think), but at least it sounds doable.  It looks like I might have to come back and do some upgrades to my site when the RC comes out (I'm passing the site off to others in about a month and a half).  Well, I knew what I was getting into when I started with the Beta (but really, how could I resist?  Betas are just so much fun :)).
You should start from the fact that Beta 2 is not recommended for live sites: "that is the main premise". At your own risk, you can omit that one. Then the process to upgrade from a Beta/Nightly build... to RC.. would depend mainly on the changes done by developers. So, i would consider this as a complex process because you should examine if there are changes affecting to the installation and data of your site...

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:54 pm

By the time the RC comes out, I should have two instances of my site running, a locally hosted test site, and the actual internet site, so that should minimize the impact if it does become impossible to transfer data between nightly builds and the RC.  I try it out first on my test server, and if that doesn't work, I rebuild the site by copying and pasting data from articles on the live site into articles on the test site, then just upload the test site when its working as an RC version.

The site shouldn't be too big by the time the RC comes out (its under 40 articles right now, and it doesn't look like the size should increase any time soon), so its not too much work.

Lottario
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Lottario » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:01 pm

Ach, happened again.  Time for a specific report, it seems.

EDIT: And, the link to the report: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,192466.0.html
Last edited by Lottario on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 BETA 2”