Explanation for admin login error in which the server's tmp directory is full

This is the archive off all FAQ related threads.
pikepace
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Explanation for admin login error in which the server's tmp directory is full

Post by pikepace » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 pm

Very soon after upgrading to Joomla 1.0.8 I noticed that I was not able to log into the administrator side.  After typing in my username, password, and then clicking Login, the screen simply refreshed.  The same login screen reappeared and I could not get past it.  I frantically clicked Login over and over, only to see the login screen refreshing.  After logging in to the cPanel of my server, I checked the error log and found the following message:

Code: Select all

PHP Warning:  session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in joomla_path/administrator/index.php on line 106
PHP Warning:  session_write_close(): write failed: No space left on device (28) in joomla_path/administrator/index.php on line 106
While still in cPanel I was able to check the disk status and confirmed that the tmp directory referenced in the error message was full.  I'm posting this here so that someone else who encounters a similar problem might find it and realize that Joomla is not the culprit (I'm waiting to hear from my service provider, but I'll confirm this is not a Joomla bug as soon as I am able).

If this happens to you, then the best thing you can do is contact your server host and inform them of the problem.  Unfortunately, until space is made available in the tmp directory there is no way to login to the administrator.

EDIT: I have confirmed that Joomla was in no way repsonsible for this problem.  The server company was performing some kind of backup/maintenance and they used all the memory, temporarily.
Last edited by pikepace on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FAQ Archive”