A question about process & site development...

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
gribbles
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

A question about process & site development...

Post by gribbles » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:20 am

I'm running a small community web site. Very much a hobby project at the moment, and I can't see it getting huge.

My approach to it so far is that I want to encourage anyone to write articles. Once registred anyone can submit an article.

However, I want to be able to play with menus, new components etc without the users seeing the 'WIP'. I can't use the 'Special' Access group, because Authors are in that and so they see the WIP.

Ideally, I'd have a dev site and just update the live site once I've sussed it all out on the dev site - and although I could do that, I don'r really wnat to at this point in time.

Anyone any ideas how I could do the above - or should I just stop being lazy and set up a local dev site...?  :)

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: A question about process & site development...

Post by humvee » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:34 am

gribbles wrote: Ideally, I'd have a dev site and just update the live site once I've sussed it all out on the dev site - and although I could do that, I don'r really wnat to at this point in time.

Anyone any ideas how I could do the above - or should I just stop being lazy and set up a local dev site...?  :)
Got it in one :)

This is by far the best and safest way of doing this. If for example you had an Extension that had compatibility issues with the rest of your site - your "public" site would be affected and you would finish up with it offline. Dev site is the the way to go. Whether you choose to run this on the remote host or a localhost installation would then be your next choice. Localhost is quicker and easier to run and test upon initially, but final compatibility testing is best done on remote dev site before then running on Public site.

hth

Andy

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”