Error Message With Internet Explorer Only

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jamartin1979
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error Message With Internet Explorer Only

Post by jamartin1979 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:36 am

The page loads completely then this error pops up.

Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site

http://www.tonkawabucsweb.com/.

Operation Aborted

The a page cannot be displayed error page is displayed.

I thought this error had something to do with the url rewrite in my htaccess file, but it did not. I have commented out all changes I made to the file as well as removed the file completely and still get the error.

This only effects internet explorer, and happens after clicking the login button.

However a simple refresh after the error results in a successful login.

Clicking any button on the menu also makes this happen.
Last edited by jamartin1979 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Error Message With Internet Explorer Only

Post by Pinc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:14 am

You may need an IE fix for IE6 and IE7, the two most commonly used browsers at this point (I think). ;)
”Character isn't how you act when every one is watching; character is how you act when no one is watching.” ~ Anonymous
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

jamartin1979
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamartin1979 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:17 am

I found this.

This problem occurs because a child container HTML element contains script code that tries to modify the parent container element of the child container. The script code tries to modify the parent container element by using either the innerHTML method or the appendChild method.

I think I also found the problem. What I don't understand is that, I have had this module going for a month and didn't start experiencing this error until about 3 days ago.

I had a weather channel banner loading in the bottom module position using the JUMI plugin.

Disabling this module made the error go away, I just can't figure out why this error wasn't happening the entire time that module was published.

jamartin1979
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamartin1979 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:19 am

Pinc wrote:You may need an IE fix for IE6 and IE7, the two most commonly used browsers at this point (I think). ;)
The problem with the "fix" is that it isn't really a fix, it is more of a cover up.

The issue was apperantly "fixed" in IE8, but it merely moves the error to the status bar instead of giving you an operation aborted error.

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 am

And that's why I hate IE.
Glad you found a "sort-a-fix". Can you go back and mark your post "solved" so others may benefit from the solution?
;)
”Character isn't how you act when every one is watching; character is how you act when no one is watching.” ~ Anonymous
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

jpbryan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpbryan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Where do I find this "fix" you folks are talking about? AND I hate IE as well... But, that is what most folks use..

jamartin1979
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamartin1979 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:39 pm

jpbryan wrote:Where do I find this "fix" you folks are talking about? AND I hate IE as well... But, that is what most folks use..

I can't seem to find the hotfix for IE 5.5, 6 and 7 but I have found that there is one.

I would just download IE8 Beta

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... itnow.mspx

jpbryan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpbryan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks.. I'll do it..

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm

You can download the IE8, but that won't help with visitors who haven't updated to IE8. ;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

jpbryan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpbryan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:18 am

I thought about that. And even with the IE-8 it just stops loading..

It would seem that microsoft would have the capabilities to put a useable and friendly browser out there... Maybe they try too hard..

So, it's Fire Fox for me.. and has been for a long time..

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:13 am

I don't find Microsoft to be very user friendly or customer orientated. Just take a look at Vistas and that's all that needs to be said. ;)
A developer can get you a fix. PM me and I'll give you some code for IE6 & IE7 that may or may not help with your site.
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

jamartin1979
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jamartin1979 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:02 pm

jpbryan wrote:I thought about that. And even with the IE-8 it just stops loading..

It would seem that microsoft would have the capabilities to put a useable and friendly browser out there... Maybe they try too hard..

So, it's Fire Fox for me.. and has been for a long time..
The error does not occur until the page is 100% loaded. In IE 8 it puts an error in the status bar. At least every time I encounter the issue. But IE8 sucks just as bad.. All kinds of display issues on my site with IE8.

Think I will just put a message on my site telling people if they want to view without any errors or problems, use Firefox, Safari, or Opera.

jpbryan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jpbryan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:21 pm

I put up an opening page telling visitors that if they use IE, there would be problems. Then I said I recommended Firefox, or any other browser, and gave them a link to Firefox.

It is still hard for me to see that Microsoft is so arrogant! They can fix this problem! They just won't admit they have it!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”