1.5.0: Cannot access a remote database

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
greno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

1.5.0: Cannot access a remote database

Post by greno » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 am

This just has not been my day as far as Joomla is concerned.

First, yes I know I need to upgrade. I've been trying with no luck. See all my posts.

Next, I now need to change my config to access the mysql database on another server. So I made the change in configuration.php and now I cannot get any pages to load. They all say cannot connect to database. So I brought up a terminal window and I was able to log into mysql on the other server using the Joomla user/pw and db without a problem. I also created a little connect script and put it in the docroot and when I access it, it says connected. So what would be preventing Joomla from being able to connect to this remote db?

Regards,
Gerry

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: 1.5.0: Cannot access a remote database

Post by brad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:00 am

Perhaps the remote server needs the IP address of the other server to be an allowed mysql access host?

Also, PLEASE upgrade to a secure and more stable version of Joomla.

greno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by greno » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 am

Hi Brad,
Yes, I've been trying to upgrade today but I get serious errors both with an upgrade and with the full install.

I am using only IP's in the config so no dns issues here. The joomla dbuser has permission to the full lan. I can access the db from terminal and a connect script using the same credentials that are in the config script but Joomla just refuses to connect. I've triple checked the config file and the db settings and everything is right. It doesn't make sense unless there is some bug.

Regards,
Gerry

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:42 am

I doubt there is a bug preventing you to connect. Are you sure php is compiled with the mysql extensions/modules ? Does a fresh install of Joomla work?

greno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by greno » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:02 am

Ok, I have the remote db access working. There was a semicolon instead of a colon between host and port.

I would really like to upgrade to 1.5.4 but everytime I try I get this cyclic link error business and I don't know how to solve that issue. See my other posts today if you are interested. Anyway, for now I have 1.5.0 working.

Regards,
Gerry

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:12 am

Great stuff... :)

All the best with the upgrade.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”