Make categories viewable on the homepage

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
rhondavcurtis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Make categories viewable on the homepage

Post by rhondavcurtis » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm trying set up the categories on my site to appear horizontally similar to www.pinkdot.com. is there a module i can download that does this. right now, its set up vertically in the left panel.

compusolver
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Make categories viewable on the homepage

Post by compusolver » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm

It depends a lot on your template. Some templates will have a main menu that is horizontal across the top and others have them vertically on one side or the other - but even most of those (but not all) also offer a position for a "top menu" which you could setup with your categories.
- Hank Castello
https://CompuSolver.com
PHP / Joomla / Wordpress / Yii / SEO / Security

rhondavcurtis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rhondavcurtis » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:14 pm

thank you so much for your help. i found a module that i can download that does EXACTLY what i want, but now i'm having trouble installing it to the site. can you help?

compusolver
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by compusolver » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Unfortunately, probably not. You see, you don't need to download a module to present a horizontal menu across the top of your screen. That capability is already in Joomla. It is up to your template and how you've configured your template, as to whether you can utilize it or not. If you're going to proceed along this path though, the good news is that installing a module is very simple. Just refer to the online documentation (on this site) for installing Joomla modules and read any instructions that came with your module. Once it is installed, you are back to the issue of dealing with your template as to what position it can go into, etc.
- Hank Castello
https://CompuSolver.com
PHP / Joomla / Wordpress / Yii / SEO / Security

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”