The PHP temporary directory is not set.. HELP!

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: The PHP temporary directory is not set.. HELP!

Post by aaanativearts » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 pm

dommaster wrote:Thanks for your reply

I checked and it looks ok public $tmp_path = '/usr/local/pem/vhosts/1xxx49/webspace/httpdocs/tmp';

And tested with set permissions to rwxrwxrwx

its timing out, can't read the error as it loads a blank browser page....

any ideas appreciated

Cheers DM
If you're getting a blank page, that usually indicates a programming parse error, like you inadvertently removed one of the quote marks or left off a ; somewhere in the code like
'/usr/local/pem/vhosts/1xxx49/webspace/httpdocs/tmp;
instead of
'/usr/local/pem/vhosts/1xxx49/webspace/httpdocs/tmp';

martkell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by martkell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

I see this same warning in my Joomla Warnings tab.
One thing I have noticed, that may or may not be related. The permissions
on the configuration.php file gets set to 444 everytime you save a change
from within Joomla. Any ideas what causes this? BTW, I am using
Joomla 2.5.4.

aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aaanativearts » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:42 am

martkell wrote:
One thing I have noticed, that may or may not be related. The permissions
on the configuration.php file gets set to 444 everytime you save a change
from within Joomla. Any ideas what causes this? BTW, I am using
Joomla 2.5.4.
That is a safety feature to be sure hackers can't tamper with your configuration file. It only needs to be 644 when you are changing something in Global Configuration. That shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.

You may have to contact your web hosting company and ask them for the path to your temporary directory. It is probably named /tmp

Sometimes it doesn't exist and you have to create it. It also has to have write permissions of 777 or 755, depending on your server configuration, or you won't be able to install anything, because the script usually needs to write to it. However, if your server requires 777 to be writable, you should change it back to 755 as soon as you are done with your installation, because 777 is considered to be insecure.

joaosaldanha
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joaosaldanha » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Hello

I´m a designer working for a client who has a website www.sbxled.com with some images and currently i´m doing some updates to the structure of the site.

And i have a BIG problem: i´ve noticed that some times the images (and also pdf links) in the home page don´t apear.

Recently i made an update to the joomla version (from 1.5 to 2.5) and also to the gantry extension. I guess it was after that the problems started.

In the extensions manager/warnings, there is a message:

The PHP temporary directory is not set
The PHP temporary directory is the directory that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla! can access this file. Whilst the directory not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue.

It´s because of this that my site is not working properly?

I went to the System Information, and in Directory Permissions the configuration.php file is unwritable (the only one).

Also i can´t access the php.ini file and its settings. Regarding the user configurations, i´m a super user but i´m not the only administrator. I enter the control panel without passing thru cloudaccess.net, becouse someone else (my client) owns the acount data to enter thru cloudaccess.net.

I guess i would have to enter thru cloudaccess.net to make the necessary changes to the php files?

I apreciate URGENT HELP on this issue.

Best regards

João Saldanha

aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aaanativearts » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 am

Go into your root folder if that is where your Joomla is installed, or the directory file it's in if Joomla is installed in a subdirectory. Create a file named tmp and chmod it 777 or 755 using your ftp program. Try 755 first. If your server requires 777, then you should set it back to 755 after you finish your installation of whatever you are trying to install, because 777 is not considered safe because anyone can write to it.

If you need a setting changed in php.ini and you don't have access to it, send the instructions the script gave you to your web host and ask them to set it for you. They should do that for you without charge. If they refuse, get a new webhost, because most hosts will do that.

aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aaanativearts » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 am

You might also post your problem on the gantry forum. Sometimes plugin conflicts will cause problems, especially with a major upgrade, and they will often have a solution.

aaanativearts
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aaanativearts » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 am

If you have an ftp login to your client's hosting account, you can access the files via your ftp program or probably there is a File Manager interface in his web hosting panel (outside of the Joomla admin interface). Otherwise, just ask your client to create the tmp file and set the permissions, or pass the requests regarding the php.ini file setting on to his webhost if that doesn't solve the problem.

amerloc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by amerloc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm

You have to set the the tmp in the php.ini file as:

; Temporary directory for HTTP uploaded files (will use system default if not
; specified).
; http://php.net/upload-tmp-dir
upload_tmp_dir ="/tmp"

Then you wont have this problem

jdh930
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jdh930 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:14 pm

I need help getting this issue resolved. I have tried the fixes in the thread and any time I make a change to my .htaccess file, I then get an error accessing the site. I think I am adding in the snippet of code in the wrong place in the .htaccess file but don't have enough knowledge to know where it should be added.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Contact your host to have it fixed.

onlyyrrej
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by onlyyrrej » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:00 am

If you can install extensions and upload pictures, then I'd say don't worry about the warning. Perhaps it's a 1.6 issue that needs to get worked.

If you can't install extensions, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Perhaps checking out the 1.6 forum.
Last edited by Per Yngve Berg on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Manual signature removed. See Forum Rules.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”