Animated favicon - where to put code?? Issue resolved

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
swanston1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Animated favicon - where to put code?? Issue resolved

Post by swanston1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:57 am

Hi there,

My first post here so hope it's in the right place. New to Joomla but have done websites outside of Joomla.
OK...
How to, or more to the point where to put the coding for animated favicon.

I have uploaded favicon.ico and over written the standard favicon.ico that comes with joomla install.
I have uploaded the animated_favicon1.gif to the same directory. I know the coding to place for animated favicon which is
-----
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
<link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="animated_favicon1.gif">
-----
Just can't figure where one earth to place it. What file etc etc.
There must be a file that already has the <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico"> in it where I just need to add the second part.
I had put the above mentioned code in the templates index.php file but that stops the favicon from showing at all.
Is there somewhere else it has to go? Is there some CSS that needs to be altered?

See this website for example I am talking about http://www.mmapp.com.au

Thanks.

Sarah.
Last edited by swanston1 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Animated favicon - where to put code??

Post by rand486 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I believe it is often kept in the root folder, but more accepted if it is in the template folder. You then link to the appropriate location in the index.php of the template, not the Joomla core index.php found in the root folder.

Of course, remember that favicons cache, and take FOREVER to update unless you clear your browser's cache.

swanston1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swanston1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey Rand,
Yeah!! It's got me baffled.
both favicon.ico and animated_favicon1.gif the other file needed for animation are both in
root/templates/currenttemplateinuse

Put coding
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
<link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="animated_favicon1.gif">

into the root/templates/currenttemplateinuse/index.php

refreshed browser etc...on site reload the correct image shows but only for a fraction of a second then disappears...have been trying to figure this out for hours. I'm just not sure if there's another file I need to place it in.

For example...if a get a page source view of the site I can see the coding there, but not working. Just flashes up for a split second. But.....if I remove all favicon coding from the index.php, the favicon shows perfectly...that's why I'm wondering if there's another file I need to go to...

Thanks Rand...

swanston1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by swanston1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Issue resolved.
What I did to resolve the issue was put the full url in and it seemed to be the only thing that let it work. Now it is animated perfectly.

1. make sure your favicon and gif images are in the main folder of your templates so root/template/yourtemplate (upload images here)
2. go to index.php in root/template/yourtemplate - index.php (insert coding here)

Put code (replace with your own details)
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="root/templates/your template/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="root/templates/your template/animated_favicon1.gif">

Put this coding in after the opening <head> but before the closing </head> (around where you would have meta tags etc in the html section) and save file. Now open your web site or refresh. This is all through the cpanel - NOT the Joomla end of it...log in to your cpanel.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”