Question on Joomla

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Question on Joomla

Post by Eriku » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm

yeah, i know the position , just wanna add "i forgot what that called already, i will use the term of "box" to replace it " a new box in the main menu . :)

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Eriku wrote:I see. However those extension seem to be add gallery into article. I wish to create a new thing in the main menu , example " Anime Gallery " , so users can click Anime Gallery in the Main Menu and it direct them to the page where there're all the anime gallery in the page for users to view. :) Beside, admin can set permission who're allow to upload picture into the gallery and it's easy to upload, maybe able to upload from the page itself. :)
I mean i wish to create a new Menu Item in the Main Menu where it direct user to a page of picture gallery where user can read the description of the picture and so on.

By the way, if i set the access level of administrator's Menu Item in Main Menu to registered , am i able to see the administrator ? Because i have to login to administrator everytime i visit the site instead of auto login

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:55 pm

By the way, if i set the access level of administrator's Menu Item in Main Menu to registered , am i able to see the administrator ? Because i have to login to administrator everytime i visit the site instead of auto login
You have to log in to the administrator separately, even if you are logged in to the front end of your site.
I mean i wish to create a new Menu Item in the Main Menu where it direct user to a page of picture gallery where user can read the description of the picture and so on.
Some of the other photo gallery components do let you do this, so look at the descriptions and demos of some of them to find one you like.

But, I don't have a specific recommendation of a component that allows your users to create their own galleries and upload from the public side of your website. I'm sure that there are some ... I just don't know of any.

The few times that I have needed to do this, I used "Coppermine" (which is not a Joomla component) to do the photo gallery. Other people prefer to use Gallery2.
John Muehleisen
Visit my "Getting Started with Joomla" site, now with videos, tips, and new user tutorials:  http://welcometojoomla.com

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I see. THank you so much again ^^

Apparently , i am trying to install RSS Feed to my Joomla, and i seem to be having problem of Joomla not showing out in my website.

I follow this tutorial , it was not working
http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=tiBpLju1akI

then i download this extension ( http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... 92/details ) and click documentation and follow the video in it.

It also not working as i didn't saw any feed in my webpage. I set their position at user 5 . >.<

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Are you trying to give an RSS feed of YOUR website to another website, or are you trying to show on your website the RSS feed from ANOTHER website?

The component that you liked to is one that provides a feed of articles on your site to another site.

But it sounds like you want to show on your site the list of articles from a different site.

So, that may be why you are not getting the results that you want.

Tell me a bit more of what you want to do.
John Muehleisen
Visit my "Getting Started with Joomla" site, now with videos, tips, and new user tutorials:  http://welcometojoomla.com

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Yeah, i want to provides a feed of articles on my site to another site. :)

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:42 pm

In looking at your site, I see that the RSS feed is working:
ss-rss1.jpg
But, I do not see the icon in your user5 position.

So, things are partially working ... but not the module part in user 5. That will help you know where to look.

Try publishing something else to the user5 position ... make sure that is working OK.

Oh, one other thing: you will want to change the "Site Description" in your "Global Configuration" as that shows in the RSS feed. Currently it is showing the standard Joomla description - you will want to change that to tell about your site.
ss-rss2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Muehleisen

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Yeah , the only problem was i don't see the RSS Feed in User5 position. >.< I actually don't quite get what you mean by publishing something in the user5. >.<

Haha, you have accidentally answered my next question because i do planned on going to ask how to change the description of the site as i found my site description in Google were about Joomla.

Really Thank you so much for that again .

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 pm

I actually don't quite get what you mean by publishing something in the user5. >.<
What I mean is this. Go to the module manager and create a new module of the type "Custom HTML".

Just put the words "Hello there!" in there and publish that module to the user5 position (be sure it is "enabled."

Then check your site. Does anything show up in the "user5" position (which is on the left side of your site, if I remember correctly).

If your "Hello" message can be seen, then we know that the "user5" position is working properly.

If you do NOT see the "Hello" message ... then we need to find out why "user5" is not working right.
John Muehleisen

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Alright, i am able to see the user5 right now. :)
Which mean it's the RSS FEED problem. :)
By the way, how can you see the RSS Feed in the address bar and also how you're able to see my description? >.<

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:44 pm

how can you see the RSS Feed in the address bar
If FireFox detects that there is a RSS feed on a site, it puts that icon in the address bar automatically.

So that is why I say "the feed seems to be working" ... what isn't working is the module that puts the icon in the user5 position.

So, I think you are very close to getting it to work!

And, you site is looking very good these days. You have really put a lot of hard work into it.
John Muehleisen

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 am

Thank you very much for your compliment. ^^ You also really put a lot of hard work in helping me, i am very grateful about it. :)

I see. I am using google chrome and chrome did not auto put the RSS feed in the address bar. Therefore, i was not aware that the RSS feed was already working. >.<

So, how can we put the icon on the users5 ? >.<

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:56 am

In the module manager, be sure that the Ninja RSS module is "enabled" ... and that you have selected a feed in the "module parameters" section.

And, don't forget that you need to set up the feed itself using the Ninja RSS Components (Components -> Ninja RSS Syndicator)
John Muehleisen

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 pm

I am sure that the Ninja RSS module is "enabled" . :)
Yep, i did set up a Feed in Ninja RSS Syndicator. :)

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:10 am

John, Thank yoiu very much for solving the problem. However, can i know how you solve the problem? What actually is causing the problem? :)

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks for setting up an administrator password for me so I could look at your site.

The problem was in the module configuration for the RSS module. You have the "Advanced Module Manager" installed (a wonderful extension ... I put it on all of my sites) and it was not configured right. It was set to hide the RSS module on the home page and to only show it on certain pages.

Once that was changed, the RSS module was showing up as you wanted.
John Muehleisen

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Welcome and i have to thanks you for helping me solving the problem again ^^

module configuration? Erm.. how can i change the module configuration? >.<

jmuehleisen
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by jmuehleisen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm

In the module manager, on the right side you will see a section "Module Assignment."

That is the "Advanced Module Manager."

Click on that and you can control what pages the module appears on. That is where the problem was on that module.
John Muehleisen

Eriku
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Eriku » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:54 pm

I see. Still, what is the part that you want me to edit? :)

bellybling
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bellybling » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:17 pm

I am looking at installing this RSS extension. Is worth the weight of an added extension or should I code it manually instead? Any suggestions?

wnye
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wnye » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Helpful thread, thanks everyone.

pcsystems
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pcsystems » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi bellybling,

I think this tutorial will help

http://kb.siteground.com/how_to_enable_ ... joomla_15/

abolay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abolay » Fri May 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Very Interesting topic, I need be concerned.. just a little!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”