Idiots Guide to the Facebook link??

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Idiots Guide to the Facebook link??

Post by Bill8089 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi All, I just can't get anything to work. Take this link for example

http://www.joomlajumpstart.com/general- ... oomla-site

I have tried but it doesn't say whether to use the html5, the xfbml or the iFrame code. I have tried the HTML, but the Facebook code intructions say paste the java bit high up on the page and then the other bit where you want the plugin to appear, but the link 'how to' instructions refer to a module.

So the position I am in is that the instructions just expsoe how much I don't know. I don't even know how to get the module to appear. Can anyone help with some really basic instuctions that don't assume too much knowledge please.

Ta.
Bill

Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Idiots Guide to the Facebook link??

Post by Bill8089 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Can anyone even suggest anything?

joomkruno
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joomkruno » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,

It can't be more simple than this: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... gins/like/

Enter your site url, adjust settings, and hit get code!

Paste the code in your site as instructed, first one after the opening <body> tag, and the second one where you want a button to appear...
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:37 pm

joomkruno wrote:It can't be more simple than this
Actually it can. :)

The JED has an entire section dedicated to Social Media, and two subcategories entirely for Facebook.

If you're not the type who can handle code, and don't know what <head> or <body> means, this is probably a much better solution for you.
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/social-web

I'm sure you'll find extensions for just about any Facebook integration you want to do.

Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bill8089 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 pm

joomkruno wrote:Hi,

It can't be more simple than this: http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... gins/like/

Enter your site url, adjust settings, and hit get code!

Paste the code in your site as instructed, first one after the opening <body> tag, and the second one where you want a button to appear...
Thanks for replying. Trouble is you guys have sufficient knowledge to fill in the gaps in the instructions. For me there were problems from the start. I got three options on clicking get code. Which one do I use? I suppose 'it depends' but on what? When you say post the code into your site - well what exactly does that mean? What page, article, module or something else? Sorry to go on but I'm just trying to explain why I don't get it. I have tried, honest, and have faced issues with pasted code disappearing, finding out how to stop that, then finding that it doesn't work. I don't eveb know if what I am putting the code into is right.

Thanks again for getting back but still stuck
Bill.

Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bill8089 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:09 pm

rand486 wrote:
joomkruno wrote:It can't be more simple than this
Actually it can. :)

The JED has an entire section dedicated to Social Media, and two subcategories entirely for Facebook.

If you're not the type who can handle code, and don't know what <head> or <body> means, this is probably a much better solution for you.
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/social-web

I'm sure you'll find extensions for just about any Facebook integration you want to do.
Well I'm no expert but I do understand basic HTML and a bit of php but its well rusty and fiddling is best avoided right now. CSS is greek at the moment as is the structure of Joomla, but I will stick with and maybe one day I might even answer a question :-)

Do you see my point in my other post though? To me there are massive gaps in the posted instructions for people that are new like me and have just knocked up a basic Joomla site but then want a link to Facebook.

Thanks for replying.
Bill.

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm not going to make excuses for third party websites/blogs that seek to explain how to do certain things to your website. Their level of technical writing is none of my concern.

That said, Joomla offers something for everyone here:
The non-technical can use a pre-made extension.
The technical can use an extension or add the code.

Seems to me that you have a solution :)

To REALLY drag this out, I'll say this: You should be using the HTML5 code, not the other 2 options. As for placing the code, perhaps your issue is that the editor is cleaning your code out?

You COULD post the "upper" section of the code into your template HTML, just after the body tag. Or you could use an extension. Lots of possibilities for those who read carefully :)

Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bill8089 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 pm

To be honest some of the writings that I have in mind when i refer to assumed knowledge are on here, but I will relent. Just one more question if I may, what do you mean when you say post into my template? Which file is that?
Regards.
Bill

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Template Manager-> Choose your template -> Edit HTML

Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bill8089 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Ok I'll give it a try.
And many thanks for staying with me.
All the best.
Bill.

Bill8089
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bill8089 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Just to you know that you provided the final piece of the jigsaw and its working now!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”