How do you sort your images?

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
vampire666
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

How do you sort your images?

Post by vampire666 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi there.
I was wondering how you sort your images.

I'm setting up a site powered with Joomla and it will have lots of articles and multiple images per article.

What is the best way to sort images on the server? All in one folder (so this folder will have constantly new images and will grow over time), or have a different approach like having a subdirectory for each article and their images in it?

Thank you. :)

budfox100
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How do you sort your images?

Post by budfox100 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I'd organise them into sensible folders, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of scrolling to find the right ones.

In fact, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to organise them in that way.

vampire666
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by vampire666 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. :)

May I ask what do you mean by sensitive folders?
Could you make an example?

Do you mean by something like: folder "dogs" with all images with dogs, folder "people" with all images with people, and so on...
What if a picture has a dog and some people in it. Where would I put it? :D I'm joking, but that could be a real scenario. Is there a way to tag images so that I can search images in different folders by using tags? That would be perfect I guess.

What about creating a folder for each article? I guess that the images will be sorted, but to reuse one it would be nightmare to find it (unless I remember where that same image was used). This would not be the best way, unless a tagging system is used.

I wonder if there isn't a better way to do it.

vampire666
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by vampire666 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Up.

Would be nice to hear some other opinion. :)

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Forum Rules:
No useless posts. This includes: Thread bumping, useless one liners, Flamewars, Trolling and Spamming. What is spamming? Read this.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

This isn't 4chan ;)

I assume no one is answering your posts because it's highly subjective. Everyone has their own sense of organization.

Budfox's answer was entirely appropriate. Organize them sensibly.

The way you organize files for one site may (and likely is) entirely unreasonable for another site. Using your example of dogs and humans: If the site is about dogs, thats hardly a sensible organization system, is it? You'd want to sort by German Shephards, Golden Labs, Black Labs... etc.

There is no right answer here.

vampire666
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by vampire666 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Ok. Thanks for the reply (and sorry for bumping the thread).

Just wanted to be sure before committing to a sorting system that might not be ideal, but as you say there's not right answer and the organization of images might change from site to site and depending on what the admin chooses to do.

Have a great day.

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:15 pm

No problem, I'm not an admin. I was just trying to give you a heads-up.

FYI, questions like these (with no REAL answer) might be better suited for "The Lounge".

http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=48

This forum is more intended for "I have a problem with a definite solution" kinds of questions.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”