can't edit articles - resolved

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

can't edit articles - resolved

Post by kentuckyjoe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm using 1.5.26 and just within the last couple of days I cannot edit articles. I click any article and the browser attempts to load the article but it is not able to do so. There is nothing on the screen; only a blank, totally white page. The site is hosted at godaddy. I've tried clearing cache and checking all articles in. So far, nothing helps. Any ideas or guidance for me on this? Thank you.
Last edited by kentuckyjoe on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jratunh21
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: can't edit articles

Post by jratunh21 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 pm

What browser are you using? Try using Firefox or Google Chrome. If you already are using one of those, then try IE. This has happened to me before. I would get a message saying "show all content" (something to that degree. I don't remember) every time I switched pages. So, I just turned the feature off in IE and Firefox.

long story short, try all browsers first to narrow the problem down to see if it's a browser issue or something more in depth. Let me know. :)
http://www.letmefixthatforyou.com
http://vel.joomla.org/ [Joomla's Vulnerable Extension List]
"When in doubt, just ask Google"

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 pm

It's happening with IE 11.0.96 and with Google Chrome 34.0.1847.116m which I think are the latest versions. I haven't tried Firefox yet but I'll download it and try now.

What appears in the address bar is the following and then just a blank, white screen. It's like it wants to show the page but just can't. Each article has a similar address with just the number at the end varying. And every article does exactly the same; it just won't appear. I'll get Firefox now and try. Thank you for your help jrat.

http://www.adoptanangel.net/administrat ... t&cid[]=46

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:24 pm

One other thing. You said you got a message like "show all content" or something like that. In my google research I saw that others had gotten messages as well instead of their article(s). I get nothing; no message or screen content at all.

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Firefox and got the same result. So, it must not be browser related. Any other ideas for me to try? Thank you.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Check your php error logs and see if there is an error message, white screen usually means a php error. If you can not access the error logs then try setting Error Reporting to Maximum in the Global Configuration settings, then test by opening an edit window. Typically the problem is an extension that adds an option to the editor and the editor can not display the option and doesn't load because of it.

Could also be an editor problem, try a different editor in the User Manager settings for your user. JCE is a good one if you do not have it installed. If you are using the TinyMCE editor it could be a corrupt or missing file, try uploading the;
plugins/editors/tinymce
folder from a good backup or the Joomla file set of the same version as you have installed.

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 am

Thank you dpac. I'm a real rookie with joomla and therein lies probably most of the problem. What you say makes a lot of sense and I'll do my best to follow your suggestions. I'll let you know how I fare. Thanks.

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 am

dpac, I'm just too much of a novice to do anything. I could not figure how how to see, or turn on, the php error logs and I could not see how to set Error Reporting to Maximum in the Global Configuration settings. I could not find anything about error reporting. We are using JCE.

I think what you say is right because in trying to find out how to turn on, or even see, the error logs I ran across the following. It seems to describe my problem.

http://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-joomla ... rs-on-site

So, I didn't get far. I think we'll have to hire someone that knows what they are doing to get in there and figure this out. If you know of anyone please recommend them to me. I hope my last statement didn't break any forum rules.

Thank you.

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 pm

I've received a couple of PM's that I've tried to respond to but they just stay in my outbox; they are not sent. I don't understand this. Maybe it's because that I'm so new to the forum that they require moderation. I hope that is the case and if so; that they will be moderated soon.

jratunh21
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jratunh21 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm

This forum is moderated, but your pms aren't.
http://www.letmefixthatforyou.com
http://vel.joomla.org/ [Joomla's Vulnerable Extension List]
"When in doubt, just ask Google"

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

When I send a PM I get a message that says its been sent but the message just goes into my outbox older; not my sent folder.

To send I press the Submit button. It seems to me there should be a 'Send' button but I don't see it. Only Submit. Submit is good for posts but 'Send' should be for emails/pms. This is a great forum and I think this is just operator error and I'm missing something.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Sent messages sit in your Outbox until the receiver opens the message, a little archaic but it at least lets you know if your PM has been read.

kentuckyjoe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kentuckyjoe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59 pm

it turns out that there was no editor selected so since it didn't know what editor to use; nothing happened. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and helped me on this. And a special thanks to dpacadmin as he was the one who uncovered the problem.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”