New Website Internal Redirect

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Bankesy26
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

New Website Internal Redirect

Post by Bankesy26 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello

At this school our existing website is Joomla based but we have recently launched a new one designed and hosted by School Website.

School Website produced a DNS change request which was handled by our local authority (because they handle our broadband, DNS, proxy etc.) and now when outside of the school using our web address you see the new site.

However internally we still see the old website and I assume this is due to the fact Joomla is hosted on an internal web server.

Is there something I need to do with in Joomla to get it to redirect to the new site?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: New Website Internal Redirect

Post by toivo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:52 pm

It sounds like the domain in your internal DNS server in the school LAN is still pointing to the internal IP address. The best way to fix the issue is to remove that entry from the DNS server. The domain of the website would then be looked up from the public DNS server system where it is working correctly.

You can find out the name and IP address of the name server for your LAN if you run "nslookup" from a command prompt inside the LAN.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Bankesy26
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bankesy26 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:06 am

Hello

Yes I figured it might be DNS related but this is what I see on the DNS server:

Under Forward Lookup Zones I have an entry for testschool.testcounty.sch.uk for example.

In here are a number of different Host (A) entries relating to the internal web server including one called www

If I look at the properties of www I can see its fully qualified domain name is www.testschool.testcounty.sch.uk for example but greyed out and the IP address points at the web server.

I did try deleting this www entry but it prevented other features on our intranet page from working and still didn't take me to the new site.

Have you any further advice for me?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:43 pm

I did try deleting this www entry but it prevented other features on our intranet page from working and still didn't take me to the new site.
You should talk to the company or contractor supporting your DNS server how to remove the website from there.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”