PHP Errors on front end

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
ukfish1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

PHP Errors on front end

Post by ukfish1 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:15 pm

ref:
www.guardgas.co.uk
www.videomagic.tv

These two sites are running really old versions of trhe Jpomla software (1.5 and 2.5). Both are running on a server with PHP 5.6

Both sites were until recenlty were displaying Ok but now are showing many PHP errors. Any idea what might have changed to cause these errors to show. We have not made any chnages to the sites at all.

Thanks, Paul

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: PHP Errors on front end

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:35 pm

I can can tell you that the first website you mention is based on J! 1.5.15 but I can't tell you anything else that would be helpful. I can tell you that the second website is based on J! 2.5.28. Two different websites but two different problems and if you want help with both these websites then you need to separate the two issues.

I presume that you are aware that both J! 1.5 and J! 2.5 have been "dead" for nearly ten years and most of the people who use this forum are not especially knowledgeable about dead software.

In relation to the J! 2.5.28 website, there is a call to a third-party system plugin jSecure that the version of PHP you are using does not support. Apart from that, you could "disable" this plugin by renaming the file ../plugins/system/jsecure/jsecure.php to something like "jsecure.old" (which would overcome the error but may not necessarily fix other underlying problems).

In relation to the other website, there's a problem connecting to the database but I couldn't tell you what, specifically, is the cause of that problem.

In summary: two different websites, different problems, outdated and unsupported software that reached its "shelf life" over seven years ago; two different websites that appear to have been unmaintained and long overdue for being overhauled and replaced, in my opinion.

ukfish1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ukfish1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:57 am

Many thanks for the advice. I am of course aware that these versions of Joomla are very outdated. I have tried to persuade the owners to update over the last few years but they won't pay to have it done. Guess they will have to now.

I have disabled jsecure and choronoforms which has cured most of the problems but not all on the Joomal 2.5 site. Over to the website owner now to decide what to do.

If anyone can shed any light on the Joomla 1.5 site that would be great.

thanks again for your time.

paul

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:01 am

Disable error display or reduce error reporting level. Error display should be disabled in production environment anyways.

ukfish1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ukfish1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:07 am

thanks but I cant even login to the backend of the website at the moment

Paul

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:12 am

If you have FTP access, edit configuration.php in Joomla directory. If you have access to hosting control panel, try changing PHP settings there.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:12 pm

If the site goes down (or is hacked) due to out of date software (not only Joomla itself, but the hosting infrastructure - PHP 5.6 has been outdated for at least 5 years) your client will have more trouble than not paying you to keep the site maintained.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:52 am

1.5.26 was the latest version of 1.5

https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla ... format=zip

1.5 was updated by unzipping the package and upload overwriting the files.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”