Restricted Access for Super Admin?

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dtb716
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Restricted Access for Super Admin?

Post by dtb716 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:02 am

Hi
I am new to joomla and have been trying to set up the page. I made a successful install through my webhost, webmasters.com. I then went through all the steps and made it through without any errors.

I can go to the home page, and certain areas of the admin page. For instance, I can go to article manager, but not User Manager. Some of the areas tell me "restricted access" when I click on them...

When I installed it, I thought I signed assigned myself as a super-administrator? I am sure I did.

What could I have done wrong?

Thanks for any help.

~Don

bealeman
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Restricted Access for Super Admin?

Post by bealeman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:28 am

Your default admin user at set up has super admin credentials.
Are you logging on as "admin" as the username.
8)

dtb716
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dtb716 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:33 am

yes.

bealeman
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bealeman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:10 am

there is another post for you to keep your eye on: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=329591
8)

dtb716
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dtb716 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:17 am

Okay, well here is what I have done so far. I have completey erased all the old joomla files from my domain. I then dropped all the tables on my db. Then I re created the database so nothing is left over from previous attempts.

I re-installed joomla, went through the full process; again with no errors. Added my password for my Super-Admin account. After install was complete, I deleted the install dir. Went to the admin area. signed in. Some areas I can get into, but most of them give me a 'restricted access' error. I don't get it...

I have been watching the other post mentioned, still can't get to the bottom of this problem! Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow, and either my brain will be more refreshed and will be able to find the problem myself, or some joomla angel will have posted some helpful hints on this board! Either way would be great! Thanks for listening to me, and I am signing off for the evening..

~Don

dtb716
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dtb716 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Still 'Restricted Access'

I deleted everything again, and started over. There were no errors during set up, there should be no problem. Why would it restrict access to my super-admin account?

M3rl3n
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by M3rl3n » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:50 am

I'm having the same problem.

There was a website previously installed, and I have had to re-install Joomla for a number of reasons. I now have everything working on the page side, but when logged in as admin (it shows me as Super Administrator) I have "Restricted Access" in the following;

User Manager
Media Manager
Menu Manager
Main Menu
......... well I thought it would just be a few items, but it looks as if I am restricted from all :eek:

Any suggestions?

M3rl3n
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by M3rl3n » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:14 am

Ok... I got mine to work.

It seems that there were some previous files hanging around from a previous install of 1.0.

Purged the whole directory and uploaded the files again... installed.... no errors.... logged on as the admin and the first few areas that I checked have all allowed me access.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:01 am

dtb716 wrote:Still 'Restricted Access'
I deleted everything again, and started over. There were no errors during set up, there should be no problem. Why would it restrict access to my super-admin account?
Are you manually creating configuration.php or are you letting the Web installer create this as required?
Are you accessing using admin as username and the exact password as you created at Step 6 of the installation?

dtb716
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dtb716 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:24 am

Uninstalled everything again, re-installed and let the config.php be created through the set up mode.
Everything seems to be working correctly now.

hpc2tv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hpc2tv » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm having the same problem at Webmasters.com. I contacted their support people, first they set permissions in the Joomla folders which did not work. They then suggested I login as admin and make the session handling php default. This didn't make sense to me so I asked for an explanation when they told me to look here.

I have completley uninstalled, deleted the database and reinstalled all with defult settings. Still can't get into the User, Menu or Media manager but I can get into others.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

JontyPTraveler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JontyPTraveler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Having Same Problem...
Super Admins can't see menu/mambots/modules/installer on Joomla 1.0.15

Saw a possibly related post here http://forums.techguy.org/software-deve ... blems.html

I compared the configuration.php file from the problem site to one on a working site.
There where some differences, but I did not see anything that stuck out to me.
There are differences on $mosConfig_offset and $mosConfig_offset_user... I couldn't find documentation on what those do, so that might be a wild goose chase.

I've got a feeling server set up has something to do with it. Might try the same website on a different host.

Love to have some clarity about this issue... Will post what I find out...

aussies rule
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by aussies rule » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 am

Yes,i thought so,uninstalling the entire thing and reinstalling it would probably make it work.
maby you should try it post a feedback later,

JontyPTraveler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JontyPTraveler » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:01 pm

Did a bunch more research last night.

Got into the database with phpmyadmin and compared all user related tables to another website I set up with the AEC component. I found nothing different between the site which restricts the powers of Super Admins and the one that does not.

Did not have Community Builder set up on the fully functional site though. So, I guess that stone was left unturned.

I think I am going to end up eventually doing a upgrade or reinstall, depending on what the client wants to do. Will post here again if I find anything out on this topic.

davoudipro
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by davoudipro » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:43 pm

M3rl3n wrote:I'm having the same problem.

There was a website previously installed, and I have had to re-install Joomla for a number of reasons. I now have everything working on the page side, but when logged in as admin (it shows me as Super Administrator) I have "Restricted Access" in the following;

User Manager
Media Manager
Menu Manager
Main Menu
......... well I thought it would just be a few items, but it looks as if I am restricted from all :eek:

Any suggestions?
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I am having the same problem

Return to “Installation 1.5”