Installation problem(blank front page)

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
crichmond
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation problem(blank front page)

Post by crichmond » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Hello all,

I have installed Joomla 1.5 on my host(Brinkster windows host and the installation all seemed to go fine and there were no incorrectly configured system settings according to the install wizard. so I go to my joomla site and it doesn't show anything. The browser loads a blank page. No errors, no messages, no anything. I can go to the /administration login and see those pages fine(at least the first page after login). But no matter what I just get blank front page on the site with no clues whatsoever?

Does anyone have any ideas at all for me to try?

Thanks so much for your time...

Chris

kobayashi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation problem(blank front page)

Post by kobayashi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 pm

I have the same problem. At the first installation it worked fine, then I got a blank page when I tried to upload a module. Then I reinstalled it a few times but allways got a blank index.php page after installation. I didn't do anything different. This is a big problem for 1.5, it seems to have a major bug. Anyone who knows how to fix our problem?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

jbreneman1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jbreneman1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:26 am

I've seen a lot of this, all for varying reasons.

I've got the exact same problem... only I recently upgraded to version 1.0.15 and it didn't take place right away, I had gone on for some hours doing minor content (no code) tweaking.... so I have no clue what started it.

I've checked my config file... looks good... all permissions look good.... i've disabled a lot of modules etc. and nothing changes... I'm totally baffled. ???

UPDATE:

Well after disabling almost everything, I've pinpointed the problem exactly to a content item on the main page. This is the only content i have published under News. This only happened sometime after i updated to 1.0.15 but not exactl sure why this is happening... so at least my homepage is back... just gotta figure this content issue now..

crichmond
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by crichmond » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am

The thing is I have done no publishing. I have not done a single thing but install it and then try to go the the homepage and it always blank, so it can't be anything I added because I haven't added anything.

kobayashi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kobayashi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi, I've finally solved the problem I had by using a different FTP client. It didn't scip any file during the upload, and it now works completely fine. Use smartftp, it's better than most. It will probably solve your problem. The only thing is that you have to completely delete the joomla 1.5 installation allready on your server, but since that didn't work that shouldn't be a hard choice to make. Hope it helps!

crichmond
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by crichmond » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 am

kobayashi wrote:Hi, I've finally solved the problem I had by using a different FTP client. It didn't scip any file during the upload, and it now works completely fine. Use smartftp, it's better than most. It will probably solve your problem. The only thing is that you have to completely delete the joomla 1.5 installation allready on your server, but since that didn't work that shouldn't be a hard choice to make. Hope it helps!
I am inclined to agree. I decided to delete everything and re upload. Now, I had tried this about 5 times before, but this time I decided to upload very small folders/chunks at a time to make sure there wasn't some asnine ftp issue affecting it, and it suddenly started to working, so i think we are on to the problem here. However, I have installed many large web repositories using FTP over the years and never had this problem and strange that several users of Joomla should have FTP problems? I am not sure..but it's working.

But after reading other posts/archives aren't you a bit worried that you will build a bunch of content only to have it vanish at the worst possible time someday. I know in theory you can restore the database to another installation..but what a hassle.....

Let me know how you do with things..

kobayashi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kobayashi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:02 am

Well, I completely deleted everything and uploaded it with an other Ftp client, it didn't have any file upload errors and now everything works! As long as you don't change the server setup it just should stay online and working, it's not like it's going to stop working when you don't change anything. Only if you change something it could stop working, I haven't had that problem yet. The only problem I now have is that when installing extentions the system says: "Warning! - Failed to change file permissions" which makes some extentions not function (fireboard is functioning perfect though). So I'm working on that, I'll keep you posted if I do have other problems. I hope that your problem is solved, good luck!

Martin.

railer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Installation problem(blank front page)/Is it PHP 5.2.5?

Post by railer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:58 pm

I'm having a similar blank page problem, except the blank page then changed into a 404 component not found error page. Regarding FTP, I uploaded the tar.gz Joomla file and expanded the file via SSH so, unless I'm mistaken, I wouldn't have the same FTP corruption that others have mentioned here. I was wondering whether any of you have PHP 5.2.5 installed on your servers? I just recently upgraded to 5.2.5 and then this blank page thing happened. Before the upgrade, I had installed a test site running Joomla 1.5 RC3 and PHP 4.4.7 -- and it was fine. Then instead of upgrading Joomla, I deleted all files and did a clean install of 1.5.1. And I upgraded PHP. Now this blank page/404 error page thing is happening.

If you could please let me know if you've got PHP 5.2.5 running AND Joomla 1.5.x is working for you, it would help. Just want to deduce that it is not a incompatibility with PHP 5.2.5 that is causing my problem.

Server notes: CentOS 5; PHP 5.2.5; MySQL 4.1.22

Thanks,
railer

dbm44
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dbm44 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:57 pm

I have the exact same problem, a totally blank install.php page. Server is also CentOS 5; PHP 5.2.5; MySQL 4.1.22

Would really like to know if there is a problem with PHP 5.2.5 and Joomla 1.5.1

djmweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djmweb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:38 pm

I am also having the same issue... a blank install page on firefox and a "page cannot be found" on IE7.

Here are my settings:

* PHP version 4.3.7
* MySQL version 4.0.26
* Apache version 1.3.27

railer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Installation problem(blank front page): Not PHP 5.2.5?

Post by railer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Well, at least it looks like the problem isn't PHP 5.2.5... Others have traced it to corruption when uploading files to the server via FTP, but I uploaded the tar.gz file and expanded it via the command line in an SSH session. I think for me it may be permissions-related. I'm using Zervex's ServerCP Lite free control panel on the server(s) (CentOS 5) having this problem and the server sets different default file/group permissions than on my other server (AIT's proprietary SMT control panel, RedHat Linux, Apache 1.3.34, MySQL 3.23.47, PHP 4.4.4) on which I run multiple Joomla 1.0.15 sites without any installation problems whatsoever. I'm going to try and set up Joomla 1.5.1 on that server and see if it installs and runs without problems, just as a test.

We'll get to the bottom of this somehow,
railer

djmweb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djmweb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 pm

crichmond, have you found a resolution to this issue? I have some new clients and would like to install 1.5 but I am getting the black install page.

vervex3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vervex3 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 am

I ran into this problem. After tracing code execution I finally found the stopping point where code was executing a require_once in connection with reference to something like:
require_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path . '/includes/version.php' );

The $mosConfig_absolute_path value is derived from configuration.php located in the Joomla root directory.

I suppose it is not uncommon when people are moving sites that they miss a simple forward slash in front of the absolute path i.e. rather than home/dir_name/public_html/...
it should be /home/dir_name/public_html/...

As soon as I added the forward slash, things were back to normal. Hope that helps someone.

donmarvin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by donmarvin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 pm

None of these answers/solutions work in cases where the site was working fine and then it went blank. That's what has happened to me on several sites on different servers.
http://www.iTeachMe.com
Online Learning System for Joomla!(R)

allam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by allam » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:50 am

donmarvin wrote:None of these answers/solutions work in cases where the site was working fine and then it went blank. That's what has happened to me on several sites on different servers.
Hello :
If you are able to go to the administrator page by: typing in : mysite.com/ administrator and you are able to sign in,
So you can do the following which worked for me:
1-: I dismantled all modules and components( from published to unpublished)when I can , except few Joomla modules and component ..and sure thing the front page came alive .
2- One by one I mad my modules checked in, and refresh the site from another window , some module were causing the problem.
3- - I think the provider at the end of the year are updating their soft ware such as: (PHP /Apache / PHP interface) , and these new updates are creating a problem with some modules and component and some templates.

Hoping the info is helpful

Sal Allam, Editor
Arab News- Canada
Last edited by pe7er on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: manual signature has been removed. Please use the forum signature (see profile) instead.

bigdee008
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bigdee008 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 pm

I have just install my site and its displaying blank. I did all the right procedures and its a pain that its not coming up good. it displays perfectly on my computer but not online,.

lucilledesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lucilledesign » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:12 am

I have not been able to complete the install because of the blank page syndrome... and no one seems to be answering this question. I am running PHP 4.7.4
arghhh i have to have this up for a client.

donmarvin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by donmarvin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:00 pm

What is the url? What hosting service are you using?

lucilledesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lucilledesign » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:48 pm

www.water-power-your-car.com

I am on a Linux machine that is hosted with jtlnet.com
what else do you need.

donmarvin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by donmarvin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:32 am

I appears that you did not delete the installation folder after installing Joomla.

samuelnjc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samuelnjc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:26 am

I have my website named puremobilezone.com

My backend and other pages(/games) are working except my front page.

I have following components running.
Agora,phoca,K2 and sef enabled.

Can some1 please help.?..I dont have a clue why this has to happen..

Thanks

donmarvin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by donmarvin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 pm

What's supposed to be on the front page? I see a page that says "Puremobilezone Under Construction".

samuelnjc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samuelnjc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 pm

damn..its workin already..fixed itself..

i simply got so worked up for this..

Thanks Don..

noelj07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by noelj07 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:12 am

Hello There, I'm having the same problem. I upgraded from 1.5.6 to 1.5.14 and now my front end is completely blank. I downloaded the upgrade using firefox and uploaded using Flash fxp like I usually do and now the front end doesn't show up. Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong...

The site is www.hpelectric.net.
Thanks

noelj07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by noelj07 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:33 am

Update:
I just upgraded to 1.5.15. I did notice that the upload put in the htaccess.txt file when I already have the .htaccess. I removed the htaccess.txt hoping that was the problem... but it wasn't. Still need help.

uvilsv83s
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by uvilsv83s » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:13 pm

i tried to disabled "system - SEF" plugin..and it works...
i can get my frontpage back...
but what is "system -SEF" plugin for?
is it okay to disable it?
because i think it is the standart plugin from joomla installation pack...

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 am

uvilsv83s wrote: is it okay to disable it?
because i think it is the standart plugin from joomla installation pack...
You can just disable it in the Global Configuration settings for SEF. If you are new to Joomla this is a good starting point;
http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners
This describes Joomla's SEF;
http://docs.joomla.org/SEF_URLs_in_Joomla!_1.5

praveen9099
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by praveen9099 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 am

I also have the same issue. Can anyone please check my website?

Website Link: http://[spam]/yCxnt

Dupona
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dupona » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:08 am

Hi, My front page went blank :( i dont know what to do next.. Install free template to test it, seo turn it on User friendly, Site ONline ...Error reporting Maximum..., Configuration is fine , double checked :geek: What to do, can someone help me.. my site is www.dupona.com, Thanks in advance

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Check with your Host, according to this scan your site doesn't exist;
http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/dupona.com
Could be the folder was deleted or cleaned out, could be your Host has restricted access to your site.

Return to “Installation 1.5”