How to backup and restore Joomla 1.5?

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
earnextraincome
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to backup and restore Joomla 1.5?

Post by earnextraincome » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:29 pm

I use bluehost and I back up my site with SSH, the process is very quick and accurate. Run mysqldump to create a database copy: $ mysqldump -u user -p db-name > db-name.out.

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:43 pm

tysonbravo wrote:Should I be concerned though that my FTP layer doesn't work? I mean, if I leave it in that state would it mean problems for me down the road? Or can I just turn it off and forget about it?
I leave it off on all my sites and don't have any problems with with the sites. I only have problems when using FTP Layer.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:53 pm

lol theres always "one of them" in the pack huh leo!

lol

tyson hope all is well with the site, keep us informed
Whats Wrong With It? All I Did Was Change That One Line Of Code!

:pop

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:37 pm

jayjoomluh wrote:lol theres always "one of them" in the pack huh leo!
your remark is hilarious. I mentioned that we have no issues with neither xCloner nor Joomlapack which is fact....We use them both regularly on Joomla 1.5.x sites and we have no issues at all. I an give you access to one of our development sites where we run them both and you can check and play when you know at least what you are doing.....When you than discover that it does not work (and that won't be the fact) start blowing, but do not blow before you know where you talk about imho

So
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by dhuelsmann » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Let's keep this thread on topic and avoid any personalization about other posters or we will lock this thread.

Thanks
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

GregHall
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GregHall » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks the info in this thread is a great help.

comptalk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by comptalk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:23 am

Hi,

I tried to follow these directions, but ran into a problem. There is no VAR in my configuration file, only $mosConfig. With that being said, what do I do in order to get this working on another server?

Thank you!

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:12 pm

comptalk wrote:There is no VAR in my configuration file, only $mosConfig.
This measn that you ahve installed a Joomla 1.0.xx version and not Joomla 1.5

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

comptalk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by comptalk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:09 am

Hi,

I removed the new version on the server and I copied all of the old files from the original server and then setup the old 1.0 version. So all the files are there. I am restoring the original database, but the same default page of Joomla shows. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:37 pm

You guys want yet another laugh

check this out

remember the "language" file that you could customize in 1.0.13

PARTIAL RETRACTION *****they took it out, yup its gone, not sure where the calls to the print is, but lots of _jtext references throughout the php code, would make it hell to customize a site, lol

is this a surprise, i searched through like 3386 files in one joomla site directory and came up with zilch for the following string

Please enter the e-mail address for your account. A verification token will be sent to you. Once you have received the token, you will be able to choose a new password for your account.

well its clearly being written from somewhere but alas,

*****PARTIAL RETRACTION

but i will defend my rant by saying I found those files, they just changed them all to .ini files, instead of the default.php., youll find them in the language/yourlang directory

(but hey, i dont know about you but i love the fact that i get to edit like 40 files instead of the one we used to have, much simpler right!)

what do you want to bet they will come out with a "extension" and if you go pro you can edit your sites language

joomla the joke keep on rocking!

FYI i tried a search in teh forums for this issue, but if you look at this topic

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=347900

youll see how well everyone relies on the joomla search and their solution to the problem!!

Last edited by jayjoomluh on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:27 pm

The text you are looking for is saved in the MySQL database. Use PhpMyAdmin to search for & edit that text.

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:32 pm

yes i know that, but it is also in the ini files, i think most users would be more comfortable messing with those, FYI although it does not show up, you can use <html>> tags in those files, and it will render fine, will post more once i fool with those files some more!

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Man I just redid it static and I'm gonna use a different script for shopping cart. I just couldn't take Joomla anymore. I thought I had figured it out but the SEF URLs still didn't work, and let's face it, that's really the only reason to have a website...so people can find it.

But best of luck to the rest of you! :-[

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:05 pm

tyson,

thats too bad, i think it is a pain to get joomla working (we have been doing this site for 3 weeks now) and still under development, though we will be done tonight, a light at the end of the tunnel lol

as for seo, have you tried other scripts, i would be happy to help yu find one, we do it all manually, basically we have the "mass content" plugin, so we can create 100s of pages with meta in them, and of course we have the globals, as for your situation not sure if that would work

(to give you an idea, we put the dev site live (not the full copy) three days ago just so a dev could help us troubleshoot a problem with their plugin, and google already picked it up, and its not even ready yet!)

im editing language files, which they hid on us in 1.5 lol)

give me a shout, dont walk away yet, maybe we could make a fork of joomla, one that would be a bit more user friendly, but before i get booed out again, let me say for what joomla IS, it is quite a feat, i am sure anyone who went from static here, even with the issues woudlnt want to go back

give me a shout tyson

tysonbravo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tysonbravo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:25 am

Sup Jay,

Ya I looked at some other scripts but never installed them, as there were other thins wrong with the site. The FTP layer was just messed up. I suppose if I had tried hard enough I could've gotten it fixed or installed some of the other ones on a broken site, but that just left me feeling uneasy. I guess it's the perfectionist in me but when I site has Any errors in it, I start to get nervous, b/c that just means more errors later down the road. As for this site, I've already rebuilt it in HTML/CSS and I'm building out the cart right now. It was only $300 and I've already installed it and uploading products. Until Joomla gets a little less buggy I'm just gonna stick with this other product, as it is much more user-friendly and I get guaranteed support.

I guess what I realized is that I cannot expect my clients to understand Joomla. It wouldn't be that much of an issue if it were just me. I'd be willing to pay someone to teach me Joomla even. But it's not the sort of CMS that the majority of non-techie people would get....easily anyway.

Idk, I may go back to it on a future project, but I was under the gun on this one, and since I can build a static site in a day, it was no real sweat off my back.

Anywayz, thanks for offering to help man. I'll be in touch.

Laterz,
Tyronious Maximus Desimus Meridius

cogitans
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cogitans » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Wow, although this how-to looks like what I've been reading about and trying to implement for over a week now (without success) this guide did it :-) Yeeeaahhh. Thanks!

bellboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bellboy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:48 am

I have a site in development and have been frenzied looking for the best backup & restore solution. Thankfully I found this helpful thread ;). I was planning to use Joomlapack but looking at their forums it appears that users with non-vanilla Joomla installs have issues so I may stay away from it now. It is a pity as the GUI makes it so simple to take a snapshot of your Joomla site.

That said, the tutorial that Jay outlined seems quite thorough but somewhat tiring if you need to take snapshots of your site during development (ie: backup, install extension or template, test, backup...etc). Should the file and folder permissions be double checked when restoring or migrating from a backup?

Assuming your server uses CPanel, is there anything wrong with using it's backup wizard to take site snapshots? You can, of course, do the home dir and MySQL separately. Unfortunately there does not appear to be any filtering option in the CPanel backup wizard though. Can this be used for server migration too?

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:06 am

Yes it's always a good idea to check/reset folder & file permissions after a restore.

Here's the quickest way to make sure they are set correctly:

--------------------------------------------------------
Resetting Permissions

Turn FTP layer off and set all files to 644 permissions and folders to 755 (if your host runs suphp) and then try installing again.

You can reset permissions by connecting to your hosting account via SSH and issuing the following commands in the /public_html folder (on a cPanel host). With some hosting providers it's the /www or /html folder.

find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
--------------------------------------------------------

Yes you can use the Backup Wizard in cPanel and yes it can be used for restores. This is how we backup our main site 4 times daily. In fact you can use the script below to schedule a Full cPanel Backup to a remote FTP location. Create a file in your /home/username/ directory named backup.php with the code below. Then setup a cron to run the file daily.

Code: Select all

<?php

// PHP script to allow periodic cPanel backups automatically, optionally to a remote FTP server.
// This script contains passwords.  KEEP ACCESS TO THIS FILE SECURE! (place it in your home dir, not /www/)

// ********* THE FOLLOWING ITEMS NEED TO BE CONFIGURED *********

// Info required for cPanel access
$cpuser = "cpanel-username"; // Username used to login to CPanel
$cppass = "cpanel-password"; // Password used to login to CPanel
$domain = "yourdomain.com"; // Domain name where CPanel is run
$skin = "x3"; // Set to cPanel skin you use (script won't work if it doesn't match). Most people run the default x theme

// Info required for FTP host
$ftpuser = "remote-ftp-username"; // Username for FTP account
$ftppass = "remote-ftp-password"; // Password for FTP account
$ftphost = "remote-ftp-hostname"; // Full hostname or IP address for FTP host
$ftpmode = "ftp"; // FTP mode ("ftp" for active, "passiveftp" for passive)

// Notification information
$notifyemail = "[email protected]"; // Email address to send results

// Secure or non-secure mode
$secure = 1; // Set to 1 for SSL (requires SSL support), otherwise will use standard HTTP

// Set to 1 to have web page result appear in your cron log
$debug = 0;

// *********** NO CONFIGURATION ITEMS BELOW THIS LINE *********

if ($secure) {
   $url = "ssl://".$domain;
   $port = 2083;
} else {
   $url = $domain;
   $port = 2082;
}

$socket = fsockopen($url,$port);
if (!$socket) { echo "Failed to open socket connection… Bailing out!\n"; exit; }

// Encode authentication string
$authstr = $cpuser.":".$cppass;
$pass = base64_encode($authstr);

$params = "dest=$ftpmode&email=$notifyemail&server=$ftphost&user=$ftpuser&pass=$ftppass&submit=Generate Backup";

// Make POST to cPanel
fputs($socket,"POST /frontend/".$skin."/backup/dofullbackup.html?".$params." HTTP/1.0\r\n");
fputs($socket,"Host: $domain\r\n");
fputs($socket,"Authorization: Basic $pass\r\n");
fputs($socket,"Connection: Close\r\n");
fputs($socket,"\r\n");

// Grab response even if we don't do anything with it.
while (!feof($socket)) {
  $response = fgets($socket,4096);
  if ($debug) echo $response;
}

fclose($socket);

?>

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 am

Seems like MySQL services failed during the install. Try installing the component again. If it keeps happening check with your host to see if MySQL is being overloaded on the server.

pixiedavis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pixiedavis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi y'all

Interesting reading including the moans. LOL

I am a complete newbie and have been battling with Joomla for a while. Got my site up and running no problem. Used Joomlapack to backup and restore several times. I then realised my localhost version all worked fine but the live site on the server was causing problems.

Eventually i recognised it was my host server causing all my problems. Changed host... all my problems have gone away.

Now i have a new problem with Joomlapack. Although i was able to use the backup to restore to my new host, when i now try to create a backup it doesn't work. My new host told me it is due to the server only allowing a certain amount of time (30 secs i believe) and backing up LARGE databases takes longer so times out. They suggested another program to make backups, that does it incrementally and picks up where it left off. But this and similar ones only backup the sql databases. Joomlapack backed up my whole site - the sql databases, folders, html pages, the lot.

What i liked about Joomlapack was that EVERYTHING was backed up & restored. Is there another backup/restore component or application that does the same as Joomlapack but takes into account the time constraints?

As a side note i use sh404 for my urls. I had problems getting it to work and also my whole site to work - worked out it was the .htaccess file. Just needed to edit out a line of code.

I think Joomla rocks.

akashvedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by akashvedi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:07 pm

i think joomla pack is good for backup.

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:34 pm

akashvedi wrote:i think joomla pack is good for backup.
It's good for a local backup to the same server but you should also be doing a backup to your local computer or to a remote location if the data is of any importance to you.

Return to “Installation 1.5”