Moving 1.5 site

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Moving 1.5 site

Post by PattiH » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 pm

I've been test driving a new site using 1.5 on one web hosting service. I have two. I wanted to try an extension that requires php 5, so I was moving the site to the hosting service which has 5; the other one has 4.?. I will have to do this eventually anyway when I move it to its final destination, so I need to learn how. I looked for directions before I started, but there was no post to find when following those links. So I just did it one way and hoped for the best. I set up a database on the new server and I uploaded the Joomla files and went through the installation process. I added the module and template I had added. I then imported the database that I had exported from the "old" hosting service. Everything looks fine on the front end and the back end, except when I go into Global Configuration where I get this error message:
Warning: Unterminated comment starting line 170 in /home/pattilee/public_html/OGS/libraries/joomla/session/storage/memcache.php on line 170

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/pattilee/public_html/OGS/libraries/joomla/session/storage/memcache.php on line 170
While looking for a solution, I have seen a tutorial showing moving a site, and it looks like maybe I should have just created a database on the new site, imported the file from the old database. Uploaded all Joomla files and then just change the config.php page rather than go through the installation process. I am willing to do that if that's what I need to do and there's no easy fix for the error I'm getting. I just would like to know if there is an easy fix for this or if I should just bite the bullet and do the move the other way.

Thanks for any help.
Patti
Last edited by PattiH on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Moving 1.5 site

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 am

Try going into the database on the new site and emptying the table jos_sessions.
You may then find that you can access everything ok.

hth
Andy

life-on-mars
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by life-on-mars » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 am

I have encountered the similar problem, :( , check the screenshot, Gosh! My site is in my signature, I will try to use the solution mentioned above at once, hope fine soon!
My personal blog: http://www.colorfulmars.com

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:19 am

No, I'm afraid that didn't work. Thanks for the effort.

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:25 am

Problem solved. I had tried emptying the database before importing and that didn't work either. But I deleted the database and then created a new one (with the same name), imported, and it works just fine.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:41 am

PattiH wrote:Problem solved. I had tried emptying the database before importing and that didn't work either. But I deleted the database and then created a new one (with the same name), imported, and it works just fine.
Glad you got it sorted. Please make your original post as solved with a Green Tick Post Icon.

cheers

Andy

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 am

Well, it's not solved again. This is really strange. I was transferring some files and when I went into the administration area again and went to global configuration, I got the same error message. I'm going to test that again.

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:17 am

It doesn't make any difference whether something's been uploaded or not after establishing the database. The same error message is still there. I did see something that is different in the two configuration.php files. It's under "server settings" and says "$secret..." and a different string of numbers and letters appears there. I tried to change it to what was on the old site and it wouldn't allow me to upload it.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 am

I would see whether uploading and overwriting the joomla_core files fixes the issue otherwise it will probably be as easy to start again as you originally suggested

Andy

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:05 am

Okay, I ended up deleting all the Joomla files, uploading fresh files, modifying the configuration.php file, adding back template and extensions and everything is fine. I am relieved that nothing is wrong with the database since I don't want to go a lot of work to find later when I try to move the site to its final destination that I've got to re-do everything. Much better to just have to redo installing the Joomla files again.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi PattiH

Glad it worked out without too much more pain and that database was preserved as hoped.

Make sure you do back ups of both db and web server on regular basis irrespective of what hosts say they do for you!

Andy

Return to “Installation 1.5”