Joomla - what webserver should I use

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
cms-newbie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla - what webserver should I use

Post by cms-newbie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi All,

I am new to Joomla CMS. Currently I have Windows server 2003 with IIS 6 installed on my desk. And I know that I can install apache on windows server. My question is:

- Which web server is best suit for Joomla? Can Joomla run on IIS 6.0?
- Can we run two webserver in Windows Server 2003?

Thanks.

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Joomla - what webserver should I use

Post by dizzi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 pm

Its definitely Apache. The following has been extracted from the "Minimum Requirements" in the official help documentation:
Joomla! is developed and tested primarily on the Apache web server versions 1.3.x + and 2.x +.
Whilst there is every chance that it will work with other systems, such as Windows IIS, these are not necessarily supported as fully/at all within the technical support community.
The full text is available here http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1938/310/.

Regards
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla - what webserver should I use

Post by Tonie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Joomla! can run on IIS, though there can be some quirks to get it running if you don't know IIS that well. You can have two webservers on one operating system, you need different ports for the http protocol for each webserver though (80 and 8080 for example).

Return to “Installation 1.5”