Problem setting max upload file size limit

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
a1454
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problem setting max upload file size limit

Post by a1454 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Hello:

I currently have Joomla installed on a website I'm creating for my company, and I have created a section for registered users to upload files, however, I need to set the maximum allowed upload size to 20mb, and that's where I got stuck.

I researched online and I know there is a line in the php.ini file that I need to edit, however, I CAN'T FIND this file anywhere on my web hosting server. So then I asked GoDaddy support, and they told me the the only way I can change this setting is by:

1. Enable "Shell Access" for the site.

2. Use something called vi or vim editor and edit that line with SSH Commands.

I'm totally lost after I read step 2, I barely know how to change directory in DOS and Unix command really just don't make any sense to me at all. I've tried to have GoDaddy's support to do this but they said since we have a virtual dedicated server, and joomla is a "third-party software" so they won't support me with this request besides providing me the above informations.

Can someone who understand how this is done give me a hint on how to do it?

Thanks!!

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Problem setting max upload file size limit

Post by BYGino » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:12 pm

You don't have to edit the php.ini file directly, you can add the following lines to the .htaccess in your site root:

Code: Select all

php_value upload_max_filesize 20m
php_value post_max_size 20m 
If you are having problems with timeouts you can use:

php_value max_input_time ***
[*** = time in seconds]

Also in the global cofiguration panel, you will probably have to open up the limits there too (can't remember what default is off the top of my head)

Not sure if godaddy are using the mod_security module but if they are you may need to add this also (try without first)

SecFilterScanPOST Off

a1454
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a1454 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 am

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Okay, I've put those lines into .htaccess file and now when I go to Joomla Administration page, I can see that my local setting the max file upload size have changed to 20M, however, on the Master Setting side, its still saying 8MB maximum. I try to actually upload that's 15mb and get an error message saying "Problem Moving Uploaded File"

I've attached a screen shot of this error message

Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by BYGino » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 am

Looks like your upload worked fine, and you now have a permission problem.

Are you using Joomla's FTP layer?

a1454
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a1454 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Sorry if this sound stupid, but I actually don't think I know what "Joomla FTP Layer" means..?

Also, as I posted in my previous reply, the master setting and local setting within my Administration page shows different setting, local setting have correctly showed 20M upload while master setting is still 8M. Is this correct?

Thanks!

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by BYGino » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:26 pm

The local setting will override your master setting so yes, that is correct. The master is set by your host and you probably won't have access to change it.

FTP Layer - Have a look under global configuration or think back to the install. Have you setup and FTP account to work with Joomla and is this working?

Feel free to PM me the details of your site and I can have a look for you if you like. If you set me up with a temporary admin account I can have a look at how everything is configured.

a1454
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a1454 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:32 pm

I tried to PM you with the site address and temporary user name and password but the system won't allow me to PM since I haven't have more then 5 posts yet.

If you have a public e-mail address (That means, for example [email protected])
I can send it there.

Again, thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

a1454
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a1454 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:23 am

The forum doesn't seems to be let me reply to PM either, so I've sent a temporary admin account information to the e-mail address you gave me.

Also, I think I will be able to do PM after this reply... now I have 5 posts...lol

Again, thanks a whole lot for the help, I really appreciate it, me and another web designer in our office have spent more than 3 weeks trying to get this problem sorted out, we pretty much got stuck doesn't matter what we try, so I thought its about time I search for help...

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by BYGino » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:47 am

I got your email, I'm looking at it just now, I think you have a problem with your permissions on your temp folder but I'm just confirming that.

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by BYGino » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:51 am

Looks like you have no temp dir set. Ask your host to setup upload_tmp_dir in your php.ini (I'm guessing that you are on shared hosting.

Once this has been set, make sure the folder is writable and this should get rid of this error hopefully.

a1454
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a1454 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 am

We are actually on our own virtual dedicated server, its using the Plesk interface and the server base is Unix, which is why when I submitted a support ticket to GoDaddy, they just bounce it back and tell me its my own problem to configure these things. I try to ask them to show me how to set some of those stuff and the reply they gave me is to use a terminal software to access the server's shell and modify all of these via command line...that pretty much beats me... I've try to dig through some documentation and think that it wouldn't be too hard, but have given up after reading through about 100 pages without actually learn anything (The manual is about 500 pages)..

If its not too much of a problem for you, I could also setup a temp admin account to access the plesk interface in our server.

Again, thanks for all the help, I really feel embarrassed now it looks like I have a problem linking to another problem linking to another problem...

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by BYGino » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:14 am

Ah well, if you own your own server (or VPS in this case) all you have to do is to set a tmp folder up in your php.ini file.

Just open you php.ini and search for upload_tmp_dir

Once you've set the folder up, set your permissions on that folder to write and that shoulld be all you need to do.

coquiac
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by coquiac » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi all -

I realize this is an old post but I will try anyway...

I have the same problem as a1454 and tried to follow BYGino's instructions however I am VERY new to joomla/web stuff.

How exactly to I edit the php.ini file directly? Like.. where do I go to edit the .htaccess in my site root? I have no idea what that means!!

Help!!

Thanks. :)

BYGino
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by BYGino » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 am

Hi coquiac,

It depends on wether or not you have a dedicated server, a VPS or are on shared hosting.

If you have dedicated or VPS you should have access to the php.ini file but as you're fairly new to all this, I'm going to assume you're on a shared server.

In this case, you need to either edit or create a new .htaccess file (if it doesn't exist) in the site root. Your site root is probably the folder where your Joomla! installation is installed. Look for an existing .htaccess in there before you create a new one.

If you're still having problems, let me know.

tommyerols
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tommyerols » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:45 pm

In the same topic, but maybe a different issue.
I can upload some big images, so my max upload globally must be greater than 2M.
But when I: edit an article, add a link, on the link browse window I want to upload the document, When the document is greater than about 1M it says "File size exceeds maximum allowable size".
I have 0 set in global configuration for media uploads. And 4M images can be uploaded elsewhere.
Puzzling.
Inversely, I can't seem to upload a PDF via the media manager. "Not a valid image." Even though I have set pdf and PDF as image extensions in global configurations.
What else is left?
the file attachment extension?

gumuruh
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gumuruh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 am

Even for my case,
I rename my file from FILE1.PDF
into FILE1.pdf .... and once I uploaded it, it works! ya... very strange. :pop

wilsonroy983
I've been banned!

Post by wilsonroy983 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 am

Hi all -

I have the same problem as a1454 and tried to follow BYGino's instructions however I am VERY new to joomla/web stuff.

How exactly to I edit the php.ini file directly? Like.. where do I go to edit the .htaccess in my site root? I have no idea what that means!!

Help!!

Thanks

gumuruh
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gumuruh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

wilsonroy983 wrote:Hi all -
Help!!
Thanks
if you're using linux, then the php.ini is depend upon your php directory installed.
For example, in my linux ubuntu, the php.ini file was stored inside

etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
:pop

jm34ashby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jm34ashby » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 pm

the .htaccess file can be located in your ftp access account.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 am

jm34ashby wrote:the .htaccess file can be located in your ftp access account.
No it cannot

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

webinspired
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by webinspired » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:24 am

To anyone still stuck with shared hosting setting limitations (where changing php.ini settings can only be requested thru the provider), both Joomla 2.5 and 3 has the feature to install extensions from URL or from directory.

For me, uploading the component installer thru FTP to my public_html/tmp/ folder and entering that path in the URL and/or directory (whichever works).

Examples:
(by directory path) /home/root/public_html/tmp/yourcomponent.zip

or relatively

(by URL) http://www.yourwebsite/tmp/yourcomponent.zip

Worked for me, without having to hassle you webhosting provider on changing their settings globally that will affect all sites hosted on the same shared server.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Installation 1.5”