joomla install - fail at step 4 - database connection fail

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

joomla install - fail at step 4 - database connection fail

Post by yagoona » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 am

win7 home premium (64)
WAMP 2.1a x32
Joomla 1.5.22

I installed WAMP
Moved joomla files to ...wamp\www\test1\
in myphpadmin created a DB called yagoona for a user called yagoona with password xxxx
This is a shot of the privileges page.
Joomla step4 -05.PNG
at step4 in the joomla install I put in the following info
Joomla step4 -02.PNG
This is what I am getting:
Joomla step4 -03.PNG
but I have been playing around trying to get this to work and had 2 other results from step 4
at one point got an error about cookies being dissabled in my browser.
I went in and checked they were enabled. When that made no difference I went in and deleted all the cookies and tried again, then it goes back to simply the 'cannot connect error'

interstingly when I tried to use 'localhost' instead of 'yagoona' as the host name I got this in an unformated page:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET `utf8`' at line 29 SQL=CREATE TABLE `jos_banner` ( `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `type` varchar(30) NOT NULL default 'banner', `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `alias` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `impmade` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', `clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL default '', `date` datetime default NULL, `showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `editor` varchar(50) default NULL, `custombannercode` text, `catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `description` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `publish_up` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_down` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `tags` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `params` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`bid`), KEY `viewbanner` (`showBanner`), INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`) ) TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET `utf8`

can someone please tell my what I doing wrong
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex Dobrin
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: joomla install - fail at step 4 - database connection fa

Post by Alex Dobrin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:21 am

"Host Name" has to be set to "localhost".
My latest project - http://www.extraglaze.co.uk/

yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yagoona » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 am

If you mean using 'localhost' as host name at step 4 in the joomla installation, I have tried this.
See the bottom of my original post.

Alex Dobrin
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Alex Dobrin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, that was what I meant. Sorry, didn't ready the rest of the post after I saw that error.

Seams there is a problem in MySQL about that command. I think this topic will help you find a solution:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 3#p1620823

You need to either modify "TYPE=MyISAM" to "ENGINE = MyISAM" or switch to an older version of Wamp.
My latest project - http://www.extraglaze.co.uk/

yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yagoona » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Alex,
Thanks but my problem just got worse it seems.
Tried to uninstall everything and start from scratch and followed this tutorial:
http://www.silvergateway.com/young-web- ... urity.html

This guys instuctions had me go into 2 of the files in c:\wamp and make some edits.
This seems to have stuffed things up way worse now.

Even unstalling WAMP and deleting the c:\wamp folder and reinstalling WAMP fresh will not fix it.

I get this problem after a fresh reinstall and the try to start up the myphpadmin:
WAMP myphpadmin 01.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yagoona » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 pm

This is getting very difficult to keep track off!
I am not the type to sit stumpted at every turn and wait for help, so I have been playing with the system trying to iron out the bugs myself. This has lead me on a wild goose chase that is driving me nuts.
managed to solve the problem in the previous post but now I seem to have lost contact with localhost!
in WAMP clicking on myphpadmin works, but on local host give me a permission denied error.
I have no idea where I could be preventing this permission now.

Could someone please please please please to shortcut this ridiculous installation process.
Are there any bullet proof how to guides out there that are valid for current versions of WAMP and Joomla? :(
Something not written only for people who already know it all! :geek:

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Why were you using "Yes" as a password? The default password for a database in Wamp is blank, no password. The default user name is "root". If you just create a database with no other changes those are the user name and password to use. The database server name is "localhost" , the database name is the name of the database you created.

If you want simple do not try to add a password to your MySQL database user in phpMyAdmin, on a local install which is not allowed to be connected from the Internet it is not needed. Wamp is not accessible from the Internet as long as you do not set it to "Online", in "Offline" mode it is still accessible locally on your computer but just not from the net.

yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yagoona » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

I have abandoned this thread.
I could not get Joomla to see the database no matter what I did.
I tried many different permutations, created various db's and could never get a connection.
I have given up and have resorted to operating via the 30 day cloudaccess offer.

pot1906dk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pot1906dk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Weird! A couple of weeks ago I installed 1.6 RC without problems. I am also running a 1.5 install on my Win7/Apache/MySQl installation.
Now I try to install the stable version on 1.6, and get the same error as above.
I change the default MySQLi to MySQL, leaves localhost as hostname. Then I set username to root and password to xxxxxx. DB-name is set to site18 (the number og the actual virtual host) and prefix is unchanged jos_.

After a couple of minutes the browser window turns white, and nothing else happens.

I am not aware of doing this differently than last time, but something does not work.
Poul Theodorsen
http://cinnt.dk

pot1906dk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: joomla install - fail at step 4 - SOLVED

Post by pot1906dk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:50 pm

At least I got it to work. Maybe this will help you too.
Looking in MySQL Workbench (lower left corner) I saw that my server is NOT localhost, but 127.0.0.1:3306. 127.0.0.1 is usually the same as localhost, but I don't really remember why the :3306 was added. Anyway, using 127.0.0.1:3306 instead of localhost made it work.
Take a look in your Workbech and use whatever you see there, I guess it might work.
Poul Theodorsen
http://cinnt.dk

john cooper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by john cooper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Write localhost in host name your issue solved.

yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yagoona » Mon May 16, 2011 6:44 am

post script----

I had totally given up this crazy tail chasing exercise until I decided to give it another try today.
I think I know what I did wrong now. It is just a hunch but if someone reads this thread and pulls their hair out becuase they are in the same pit as I have been.

I was installing the 32 bit onto a 64 bit computer!
Now that tried with the 64 bit version, all went smoothly!

could it have been so stupily easy?

computers can really suck sometimes

Hope this last post helps at least 1 person out there

cu
A

renjithbaburaj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by renjithbaburaj » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 am

DEAR ALL
i installed x aamp and all the things are ok. php my admin are working.
but the problem is when i am installing joomla 1.5 , in step 4 there is some error showing like

""Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL ""

xampp 1.7.7
php 3. 4. 5

kindly solve this

renjith

yagoona
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yagoona » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:33 am

renjith

This thread is about a year old. My initial problem is solved but I do not exactly know how now. I have now installed Joomla many times on WAMP and on servers without many issues.
Have you tried turning off firewalls and seeing what user has been setup in mysql etc...
Sorry I cannot offer any specific advice..... exept 'dont give up'.
btw have you tried J1.7

Return to “Installation 1.5”