Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
babycatface
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Post by babycatface » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:46 am

It's been 2 days that I'm trying to install Joomla on my 1and1 host server and I can't even get the installation Joomla page on my site, I've read every installation manual and most of the forums, even in French..

I've used Filezilla to transfert the files to my server, first time www.mysite.com/joomla and now strait to the root www.mysite.com. On the 1and1 control panel webspace explorer, the files are there but I'm not sure they're on the right place.

I've even uprade my package to Business as I didn't have mySQL before, I'm on Linux by the way.

Can somebody explain me step by step very slowly, because I think I'm very retarded...

Thanks alot

tastrax
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Post by tastrax » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:59 am

I just had a quick look at their website and it says that from control panel that you can "click and build" a website. Looks like Joomla is one of the sites you can build so give it a try in there rather than a manual load.
http://declarationoffreedom.com - Declaration of freedom - you are free..
http://www.kiva.org - Kiva - loans that change lives

Updated to 2.5.3

babycatface
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by babycatface » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi thanks for the quick answer. The problem is I don't have the bloody icon click and build on my control panel. My guess is that is an old feature that as been removed. I would love that build and click icon, would make things so much easier!

tastrax
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tastrax » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 pm

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Featur ... _lf=Static

Maybe they charge more again for this feature...%*&^%$#!

There is also a full guide here

http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners - scroll down about a third of the way down for a pdf manuala s well

Updated to 2.5.3

babycatface
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by babycatface » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:18 pm

I've just call 1and1 and they say that the "click and build" feature is only available for US customers, I live UK. They also not very keen on helping me with my install of joomla as they say, installing an external CMS is not part of their support. nice.

tastrax
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tastrax » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Great customer support! I am in Aussie so I cant recommend another host but I will bet there is one in the UK that does Fantastico install in one click.

11.30pm here so I am off to bed...good luck

Updated to 2.5.3

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Bonjour,

You may want to have a look at a post of mine detailing a manual installation on a Go Daddy shared Linux account. Not 1 and 1 but should be quite similar, I would think :)

Cheers!
Lyle
@snifflevalve

communique
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by communique » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Since you upgraded the the Business package (I have the same package) you have access to SSH. FTP the .tar.gz version of Joomla to your account and then connect to it via SSH and decompress the file. From there, installation is fairly straightforward.
babycatface wrote:I've just call 1and1 and they say that the "click and build" feature is only available for US customers, I live UK. They also not very keen on helping me with my install of joomla as they say, installing an external CMS is not part of their support. nice.
You're not really missing anything by not having Click-n-Build, unless you'd like to install Joomla 1.0. 8-)
Bill

betweenbrain
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by betweenbrain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi babycatface,

If you want to move away from 1 and 1, check out http://www.rochenhost.com/. They specialize in Joomla hosting and have Fantastico install in one click as tastrax suggests. I even think that they host joomla.org. If you stay with 1 and 1, I can help you manually do the install. If one doesn't exists, I'll write up a manual install doc for the community.

Best,

Matt
Best,

Matt Thomas

grandorse
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grandorse » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:07 am

I have the 1and1 home package and was told it would work with Joomla 1.5. I have been working on my imac using localhost. From what I'm reading here it sounds like I'm going to have to start all over again when I want to put it on 1 and 1. Is this true?

I'm doing this site for a non profit organization I volunteer for. I've already paid for the Joomla book, my template to use with template builder, and my 1and 1 account. This is getting to be quite expensive. If I'd known about rochenhost before I probably would have gone that route. I don't want to spend any more money.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:24 am

Joomla works well on 1and1 and the problem has nothing to do with one click install aka Fantastico or similar. The problem in initial post is most likely caused that the actual path to the Joomla-installation is not entered in the configuration.php since it is not known.

Please do the following:
To find out what your absolute path is, copy the following code into a text editor (i.e. JEdit, Notepad, etc), save the file as a .php naming it whatever you prefer (i.e anyfilename.php.).

Code: Select all

<?php 
 $path = getcwd();
 echo "Your Absoluthe Path is: ";
 echo $path;
 ?>
Using your FTP software, ftp the file you have just created to your root folder.

Open your web browser and type in http://www.yourdomain.com/filename.php. The result will show the absolute path! When you have the absolute path enter this in the variables:
var $log_path = '/your_absolute_path/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/your_absolute_path/tmp';
IMPORTANT: For security reasons, delete this file as soon as you have ascertained the information you require.lso check the database settings (name + user + pass)

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

betweenbrain
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by betweenbrain » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:05 am

grandorse wrote:I have the 1and1 home package and was told it would work with Joomla 1.5. I have been working on my imac using localhost. From what I'm reading here it sounds like I'm going to have to start all over again when I want to put it on 1 and 1. Is this true?
Don't worry. To get your site to work with 1and1, all you'll need to do is upload your files and update a few lines in your configuration.php. There are detailed instructions on how to move Joomla between servers at http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_copy_ ... te_host%3F.

I'll try to write up a 1and1 specific install / moving site doc tomorrow. [It's late and my wife is yelling at me]

Matt
Best,

Matt Thomas

grandorse
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grandorse » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:48 am

Thanks. I haven't tried out your directions yet because I keep finding things I need to do first. At some point I'm going to have to get it online, ready or not.

adbuff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adbuff » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:11 am

I use 1and1 as well, and I too was having issues with the installation. I would get through the first few pages of the install, but when I would get to the "database" section, I couldn't advance with the "next" button, despite having input all the correct database info. After deleting and installing the package a few times I kept seeing an error when I was extracting the files. It was saying that the "logs" folder couldn't be installed. I finally realized that Joomla! has to have a "logs" folder to function properly. To prove it I created a directory called "home", installed and extracted the files, and magically the whole thing worked perfectly. Since the "logs" folder on 1and1 can't be deleted, can't have its permissions changed and therefore can't be written to, I don't know how Joomla! can be installed on the root directory. I'm just going to do a dreaded Flash landing page with an enter button. I hope I helped a little or at least shared some insight with advanced Joomla! users. Good luck!!

communique
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by communique » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:28 am

No need to do that - just open control panel, go to the domain overview and change the destination folder for your domain to /home (where your J! site is located).
adbuff wrote:I'm just going to do a dreaded Flash landing page with an enter button.
I don't have any files in my "root" directory on 1&1. Just a couple of directories, including /logs (1&1 log files).
Bill

adbuff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adbuff » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 am

communique wrote:No need to do that - just open control panel, go to the domain overview and change the destination folder for your domain to /home (where your J! site is located).
adbuff wrote:I'm just going to do a dreaded Flash landing page with an enter button.
I don't have any files in my "root" directory on 1&1. Just a couple of directories, including /logs (1&1 log files).

THANK YOU! Bye Bye Flash!

betweenbrain
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by betweenbrain » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi All,

I have begun a very cursory document detailing installing Joomla on 1and1. The only unique thing about installing Joomla with 1and1 is setting up your destination folder and setting up the MySQL database. Please have a look and contribute away http://docs.joomla.org/Manually_Install ... with_1and1.

Maybe we can turn this into a bigger document with recommended php.ini and .htaccess files that work with 1and1.

Thanks,

Matt

PS: I'm new to Wiki mark-up so any tips on general formatting, and embedding images, would be appreciated.
Best,

Matt Thomas

grandorse
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grandorse » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 pm

That's much clearer than trying to do it with bits and pieces from 1 and 1 and Joomla. I don't have a business account so that means my site has to have all the components I need when I move it from the local host. I think I'll check out the price to upgrade to a business account, then I could get up and running now and add to it later.

Thank you for doing so much work on this.

betweenbrain
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by betweenbrain » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi grandorse,

You may not need to upgrade to the business account. What specific functionality are you looking for?

Best,

Matt
Best,

Matt Thomas

adbuff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adbuff » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 pm

I have the 1and1 Home Package in the US, and once I made a new folder, extracted the install package to the folder and designated it the primary, everything has gone perfectly. Like I said, it has to do with the read-only "logs" file that has to be in the 1and1 root directory because Joomla! has a logs folder as well. I assume you have the logs folder on your 1and1 root as well. Is that true?

communique
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by communique » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 am

Does anyone have a php.ini to share?
betweenbrain wrote:Maybe we can turn this into a bigger document with recommended php.ini and .htaccess files that work with 1and1.
After fiddling with one that I picked up on this site, I was able to get the "disable_functions" line to work (I had to add an entry for session.save_path). I'm trying to implement items from the security checklists (Security_Checklist). Rather than reinvent the wheel - I'd like to see what others are using with 1&1.

I'll check out the wiki. Bill
Bill

grandorse
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grandorse » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 am

I decided that upgrading to business would be throwing good money after bad. I'll keep my domain name with 1and1. I've had blog domains registered there for years, but it really isn't what I want for a host. I'm trying to get a master gardener site up and running before gardening season starts. That means not only having the site online but showing the people who will be posting how to do it, getting 40 master gardeners to be able to get to the section that is just for them. I bought into "content is the king". That means not spending my summer tweaking the web site. I think I did the Name Server/DNS process right. Guess I'll know in 24 hours. BTW I picked Rochen because they seem to be set up for Joomla, the Joomla! sites are all hosted there, and I can pay monthly instead of having to pay for one year. I'll post about how happy/unhappy I am there. Is that appropriate?

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 am

Hey folks,

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I had some initial stumblings installing Joomla on 1and1 and then moving from localhost to 1and1 so I decided to write up a detailed step by step procedure so that I didn't keep making the same mistakes over and over.

I have attached the MSWord document to this message. Please feel free to take it and merge with the document you are already working on.

Hope it helps,
Carlos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julietta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Julietta » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 am

Had the same problem, thx to all you guys! :)
real girls love Joomla!

zuzushii
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zuzushii » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Howdy,
I downloaded the word.doc posted in this thread and I followed the directions up to a certain point...the only problem is that I trashed the joomla installation folder after I started working with Joomla on a localhost. I built my site by watching the lynda.com "joomla essential training" and I used MAMP.

The directions with lynda.com are very clear, but of course, on 1and1 there is NOTHING on the subject.

I built my MySQL database on 1and1 and I saved the info that it gave me (the username, the password etc).
I also exported my joomla.sql from PHPMyAdmin.

From what I understand (since I no longer have the Joomla installation folder), I need to change some of the information in my configuration.php folder.
According to Lynda.com, I need to change these variables:
(possibly)
$log_path
$tmp_path
$user
$db
$password

What do I change these to? I have no idea about the paths, but I'm guessing the user, db, and password refers to those from my mySQL database created in 1and1?

Also, I currently have a flash intro index.html ...... I know it's not recommended but it was what my client wanted. Once I get joomla working, it will be index.php....correct? Technically this index.html page should not interfere with the installation of joomla....?

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 pm

yes, you need to made modifications to the configuration.php file.

The attached document identifies which variable need to be modified. The best way to know the values is to read them from the original configuration.php. The attached file, which may not be the version you were working from details that in step 50. I pasted step 50 below.

50. Navigate to the folder you created in step 12 above (i.e.”MyCoolSite” or “TestingOfMyCoolSite” )
NOTE: You should do a little of your own research on what variables and values should be set before continuing. I have only done this twice so be careful with the following steps. They worked for me but I have my own questions about what variables may not have been set properly in the configuration.php file.

IMPORTANT!!!!! Download the configuration.php file to a safe location on your local machine so that you can edit it. You need to make the following changes in the configuration.php file on the 1and1 server. The version that was copied from your localhost to the server has these values set.
• var $host = 'localhost';
• var $user = 'joomlauser';
• var $db = 'mycoolsitedb';
You need to change the variables for the configuration.php file on the 1and1 server to look like the values below. These are the values generated in step 2d above.
• var $host = 'ef999.perfora.net:/tmp/mysql5.sock';
• var $user = 'abc123456789';
• var $password = '1w2X3y4Z';
• var $db = 'xy987654321';

zuzushii
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zuzushii » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:38 pm

ccasanova,

I am studying your (very helpful) document carefully and I am lost at step 47.
When I follow step 47, my localhost wants to create a sql file...and I feel like I'm repeating steps 28-34.

Regardless, I changed the configuration.php information (that you indicated) and I compressed my Joomla folder (on my Mac)...

Oddly now, I get a front page and none of the links work:
(PM me to see the page)

Ehh...does it have something to do with the paths in configuration.php? They are still leading towards my User folder on my Mac...
Last edited by zuzushii on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A mountain is composed of tiny grains of earth. The ocean is made up of tiny drops of water..."

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:54 pm

step 47 just says to zip the Joomla directory structure, not the SQL database. I'll take a peek at the link you sent as well. If you're comfortable with it, send me the configuration.php file and I'll take a look. BEFORE you do however, remove the passwords from it. I don't want to have that responsibility. Send in PM for added safety.

But yes, your "var$ log_path" and "var$ tmp_path" need to be edited. It looks like I missed that in the instructions. Sorry :( :'(

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:15 pm

here are the edits as per the postings........ ( file has been edited to contains these edits. Full revised file is attached )

• var $host = 'localhost';
• var $user = 'joomlauser';
• var $db = 'mycoolsitedb';
• var $password = 'mysimplepassword'; ( also might be empty if not set )
• var $log_path = 'c:\xamp\htdocs\MyCoolSite\logs';
• var $tmp_path = 'C:\xampp\htdocs\MyCollSite\tmp';
You need to change the variables for the configuration.php file on the 1and1 server to look like the values below. These are the values generated in step 2d above.
• var $host = 'ef999.perfora.net:/tmp/mysql5.sock';
• var $user = 'abc123456789';
• var $password = '1w2X3y4Z';
• var $db = 'xy987654321';
• var $log_path = '/homepages/4/ xy987654321/htdocs/MyCoolSite/logs';
• var $tmp_path = '/homepages/4/ xy987654321/htdocs/MyCoolSite/tmp';
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DoubleDawgg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DoubleDawgg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Can't seem to download the attached document. Get a message that says "file not delivered".
Great thread, BTW!

Return to “Installation 1.5”