Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Help Me! Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Post by PulpzillA » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm

so i cant import my original database into this one unless i upgrade? as far as im aware im able to create two MySQL databases with my package? this is the first database i have created and im trying to import my localhost one into it. im kinda lost!

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm

make sure when you create the dump file from localhost that you select options to Add DROP TABLE
and Add if NOT EXISTS
This will then clear the existing tables, make sure you have all the table from localhost and import the tables into the database.
Provided the prefix is different you can run multiple Joomla! sites (or any other CMS etc) from the one database.
You are only importing the tables not the database.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:36 pm

ok thanks that was what i was doing wrong, i just kept the default options when exporting.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 am

cool glad it is resolved.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:56 am

im just wondering how i go about finding my $logs and $tmp paths on my 1and1 server? at the moment they are unwritable as the paths are incorrect. with this have a bad effect on my website?

communique
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by communique » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Did you take the suggestions above and put your site in a subdirectory under htdocs? If not, Joomla might be trying to place it's log files, into the protected directory used by 1and1 for your server logs.
PulpzillA wrote:im just wondering how i go about finding my $logs and $tmp paths on my 1and1 server?
One of the recommendations on the Joomla security checklist is to rename the tmp and log directories. Create new directories for both and update the paths for the variables in your configuration.php file. The path to my "tmp" directory looks similar to:

'/homepages/99/d123456789/htdocs/sites/prod/_tmp_bit'

Bill
Bill

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:40 pm

well my website is in a subdirectory and not in the root, so it shouldnt interfere with the 1and1 log folder in the root.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:17 pm

1and1-files.png
This shows the files as they appear in the joomla_folder/
The following contains a copy of my 1&1 .htaccess file and copy of my configuration.php file (obviously with XXX replacing the essentials that you should replace with your own details
.htaccess&config.php.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:45 pm

your a saviour!
thanks so much!

AnotherWebGuy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AnotherWebGuy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm

humvee, THANK YOU!!

I've used Joomla for about a year and a half now as an admin, but just finished building my first site from scratch on the WAMP Server I recently installed... It was for a friend, had to be moved to 1&1, and I'd never done ANY site transfers at all. After 5+ hours of zipping, unzipping, moving, Googling, testing, etc - I finally found your post. Registered here, opened your config file side by side with mine, fixed about half a dozen of my newbie screwups, and got the site up!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

(And any others with the same problem who're just starting out like me, register here & look at humvee's config file next to yours... Hopefully it'll be as easy a fix for you as it was for me.)

bleustreak1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bleustreak1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 am

had a similar problem got it solved from all the discussion you all have had

so thanks to all of you

PulpzillA
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PulpzillA » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 am

Yeah thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! i now have a stable running website on 1and1.

dangerjones
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dangerjones » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:46 pm

I installed Joomla just fine on my 1and1 server using ClickNBuild. I used joomlapack on my localhost (wamp) to backup my site.

However, when I try to upload kickstart.php and the backup file to my server (whether through FTP or 1and1's webspace explorer), it says the file directory is protected.

So obviously, when 1and1 sets up Joomla, it automatically protects that directory. Does anyone know how to unprotect that directory so that I can upload kickstart and the backup?

kharmer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Location: Cambridgeshire / Hertfordshire, Great Britain, Centre of the Universe

Post by kharmer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:11 am

I have some notes about setting up Joomla on 1and1 with PHP5 and implementing SEF, for further reference.

http://www.kharmer.co.uk/blog/28-runnin ... ng-package
Joomla CMS Developer: http://www.kharmer.co.uk

ia1n
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ia1n » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Firstly, thank you so much for all the information in this thread. It's helped me out loads so far.

I've followed the instructions to manually install Joomla on my 1and1 shared hosting account, but its coming up with the following error message when i try and access it:

Error 403 - Forbidden

You tried to access a document for which you don't have privileges.

Not too sure what to try next... any help much appreciated!!!

Iain

Lowlande
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lowlande » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

To help answer the install questions, I had to install Joomla in a sub folder, because there is a logs folder in the root and Joomla has a logs folder as well. But I would warn you, I have two sites on 1and1 and I'm about to move them. It not just the unbelievably bad tech support. I've been having bizarre problems with joomla that I haven't encountered on any other host. I've been working with Joomla for 5 years now, too.

Some of the problems I've encountered: I can't create new menu items on one of the sites. Under Menu Type, nothing shows up. This problem suddenly occurred after a few months. I've tried reinstalling, nothing works.

Another site suddenly decided it won't allow any editors to work. JCE, FCK, WYSIWYG Pro; nothing works. My client is furious and I can't figure out how to fix it. I've also reinstalled Joomla several time on that site as well.

I've also gotten weird CSS results: for example, I got a white background on every visited link. Of, course, I tried to fix this in a:visited. Only the focus command worked.

I would love to know if anyone else is having problems like this, some days I feel like I'm going crazy. Please, reassure me that I'm not.

Thanks,

Amy
Lowlande Web Design
lowlande.com

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing Joomla on 1and1!

Post by ccasanova » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey folks,
I've received several emails over the last 11+ months since I first posted the document that they can't download it. Not sure why that is, so I'm going to try and paste it into this posting below. I'll attach the file again for what it's worth.
ALSO please note that the instructions have NOT been updated to account for new Joomla versions nor new tools becoming available that might make this easier.
TEXT BELOW IS PASTED from attached document. (hopefully attached)

This document provides step by step instructions on installing Joomla on a server from the 1and1 Hosting company. It also provides information on moving your site from a localhost to the 1and1 Server.
WARNING: Although I used these procedures successfully myself, you should use them at your own risk and should not proceed with any step that you do not fully understand.

Login to 1and1 account

CREATE Database
  • 1. Click on “MySQL Administration”
    2. Click “New Database”
    • a. Provide Database Description ( i.e. This is the database to do testing for ‘MyCoolSite’ )
      b. Select “MySQL 5.0”
      c. Click “Select/Create”
      d. Copy or print the “MySQL Database Setup” page which contains all the database details you’ll need later.
    3. Click “Go To Overview”
CREATE Domain Site
  • 4. At the “Domain Overview” page, click “New”
    5. For New Domain:
    • a. Click “Domain”
      b. Enter the new Domain ( i.e. “MyCoolSite” )
    6. For New Subdomain:
    • c. Click “Subdomain”
      d. Enter the Subdomain prefix ( i.e. “testing” ) and select the proper domain name from pick list ( i.e. “MyCoolSite.com” )
    7. Click “OK” ( It will take a few minutes before you can do anything with it )
    8. After the site status is “ready”
    9. Click the checkbox for the new website ( i.e. http://www.MyCoolSite.com / testing.MyCoolSite.com )
    10. Click “Destination >>Edit Destination”
    11. In the “Home Directory” Section, Select “Create new Directory” in the “Home Directory” pick list
    12. Provide the name for the folder that you want to Joomla in for your new website ( i.e.”MyCoolSite” or “TestingOfMyCoolSite” )
    13. Click “OK”
    14. Click “Go To Overview”
NOTE: The 1and1 site does not seem to always refresh itself while you’re logged in so if you’re looking for a folder that you created manually, and it does not appear, log out then log back in.

Upload and unpack Joomla
  • 15. With the cursor in the directory you just created (i.e. TestingOfMyCoolSite ), Click Transfer>>Upload
    16. Browse for your Joomla zip file and click OK to upload ( it will take a minute or so to upload )
    17. Navigate to the file/folder and select the Joomla zip file
    18. Click Archive>>Unzip ( if prompted for place to unzip to, be sure to select TestingOfMyCoolSite folder )
Install Joomla
  • 19. Open Browser
    20. Navigate to your newly created URL ( http://www.MyCoolSite.com or Testing.MyCoolSite.com )
    • a. ( Joomla installer should open up to Step 1: Language )
    21. Step 1: Language - Select Language and Click “Next”
    22. Step 2: Pre-installation Check - Confirm everything is OK and Click “Next”
    23. Step 3: License - Review License and Click “Next”
    24. Step 4: Database
    • a. Basic Setting: From Step 2d above, fill in the appropriate information
      b. Advanced Settings: Leave as is (The database should be empty since we just created it)
      c. Click “Next”
    25. Step 5 FTP Configuration - Click “Next”. ( We can skip the FTP settings for now )
    26. Step 6: Configuration - Enter……
    • a. Site Name
      b. Email
      c. Password
      d. (OPTIONAL) If you want to install the sample data, click the “Install Sample Data” button
      e. Click “Next”
    27. Step 7: Finish
    • a. Go back to the 1and1 Administration site
      b. From the Control Panel – Administration page, scroll down and click “Webspace Explorer”
      c. Navigate to the folder you created in step 12 above (i.e.”MyCoolSite” or “TestingOfMyCoolSite” )
      d. Find the “installation” folder in the root directory ( i.e. /MyCoolSite/installation )
      e. Select the “installation” folder and click Edit>>Delete
      f. Go back to the Browser page for your Joomla install
      g. Click “Site” in the upper right corner
      h. You should see the default Joomla site.
YOU ARE DONE!!!!

Additional and Alternative Steps…..
If you developed your website using XAMP / WAMP or some other Localhost and want to move the locally built site up to 1and1 hosting, you’ll need to do these additional steps.

Export Joomla database from Localhost
  • 28. Login to your localhost
    29. Click “phpMyAdmin” and login
    30. Select the Database for the website you want to move to the 1and1 server from the left side menu
    31. Click on the “EXPORT” tab
    32. Scroll down and check off “Save as File”
    33. Make sure that “None” is selected from the Compression choices
    34. Click “Go” and choose where you want to save the file to
Remove tables from default Joomla install off 1and1 server
  • 35. Go to the your 1and1 Control Panel - Administration page
    36. Click “MySQL Administration”
    • a. You should now be back at the “MySQL Database Setup and Configuration” page,
    37. Click “phpMyAdmin” for the database you created above in step 2d. (make sure that the status is “ready”)
    • b. NOTE: At this stage, what you have is a database on the 1and1 server which is empty except for the default Joomla install. What you want is to replace it with the database you just exported from your local host.
    38. Click on the name of the database in the left pane of the browser page. This should present you with a panel on the right which has several tabs along the top.
    39. Click the “Structure” tab then scroll down and click “Check All”
    40. Select “drop” from the pick list
    41. Click “Yes” to confirm ( Your left panel should now have ONLY the database name )
  • Import the database from localhost up to the database on the 1and1 server
  • 42. Click on the database name on the left panel to refresh the screen
    43. Click the “SQL” tab
    44. Click the “Browse” button to navigate to the file you just exported in step 35.
    45. Click “Go”
    46. Once the import completes, you should see all the tables listed in the left panel beneath the database name
Zip Localhost Joomla files/folders
  • 47. On your localhost, zip the entire folder structure of your Joomla site.
Unzip Joomla files on 1and1 Server
  • 48. Go back to the 1and1 Administration site
    49. From the Control Panel – Administration page, scroll down and click “Webspace Explorer”
    50. Navigate to the folder you created in step 12 above (i.e.”MyCoolSite” or “TestingOfMyCoolSite” )
NOTE: You should do a little of your own research on what variables and values should be set before continuing. I have only done this twice so be careful with the following steps. They worked for me but I have my own questions about what variables may not have been set properly in the configuration.php file.

IMPORTANT!!!!! Download the configuration.php file to a safe location on your local machine so that you can edit it. You need to make the following changes in the configuration.php file on the 1and1 server. The version that was copied from your localhost to the server has these type of values set.
  • • var $host = 'localhost';
    • var $user = 'joomlauser';
    • var $db = 'mycoolsitedb';
    • var $password = 'mysimplepassword'; ( also might be empty if not set )
    • var $log_path = 'c:\xamp\htdocs\MyCoolSite\logs';
    • var $tmp_path = 'C:\xampp\htdocs\MyCollSite\tmp';
    You need to change the variables for the configuration.php file on the 1and1 server to look like the values below. These are the values generated in step 2d above.
    • var $host = 'ef999.perfora.net:/tmp/mysql5.sock';
    • var $user = 'abc123456789';
    • var $password = '1w2X3y4Z';
    • var $db = 'xy987654321';
    • var $log_path = '/homepages/4/ xy987654321/htdocs/MyCoolSite/logs';
    • var $tmp_path = '/homepages/4/ xy987654321/htdocs/MyCoolSite/tmp';
  • 51. Delete all the folders in this directory ( these are only the default Joomla directories ) DO NOT DELETE the configuration.php file
    52. Upload the zip file of Joomla directories from your localhost to the folder you created in Step 12 (i.e.”MyCoolSite” or “TestingOfMyCoolSite” )
    53. Select the file and click “unzip”
    54. Choose the destination folder (i.e.”MyCoolSite” or “TestingOfMyCoolSite” ) and click “OK”
    55. Upload the saved and edited configuration.php file to the root directory created in Step 12

THIS SHOULD BE IT!!!!
You should be able to confirm by going to the domain/subdomain you created.
[/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Do you happen to know if this works for the UK 1and1 hosting service ?

best regards

Pete

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:55 am

Sorry Pete, I don't know off the top of my head but I would want to believe that it would. I can't see why they would operate much differently in the UK versus the US.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Carlos

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Many thanks Carlos.
I actually got an overnight reply from 1and1 UK, but it merely stated that I should upload via FTP and they would give assistance with FileZilla if I reqrd it. Helpful, but not just hitting the mark...... B-)
I'm going to work on your instructions later and see how it all goes.
I'll document & post up here if I can.

very best regards

Pete

ccasanova
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ccasanova » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Yea, they seem to like to stick to their script. I'm guessing that it should work .... maybe with just slight modification.

Best regards,
Carlos

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 am

If you are using standard shared hosting with 1and1 simply revisit the first posts in this thread as I host with them and the situation is the same.
The difference in the UK is that you get allocated your databases and the number of these are limited in the US you get the option to create and manage these more effectively. When I challenged the UK arm I was just told that's the way it is and basically live with it!
However many of the other steps are correct for the UK too.

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Still working on it......
I've had a look through the process and was advised by 1and1 to use the standard FTP process, but no assistance after that.
I have today responded to their customer survey and await another response for specific details re Joomla.
Given the number of Joomla users and that a large %age of those users will be learning/development purposes, IMHO it would be good customer service to have the process documented to assist the paying users.

best regards

Pete

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 pm

...except 1and1 are not responsible for the use of Joomla! irrespective of the numbers using it, and the documentation is more properly included here for Joomla! They struggle for the most part on providing and updating documentation for their own processes without expecting them to do any more than that, c'est la vie

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:26 pm

That certainly seems to be the case, comms feels like it is an operation based on the maxprofit model & not the maxhappy model.... B-)
Having said that, setting up Filezilla was a breeze (either that or I'm exceedingly clever B-) )
I've got a free hour now and will dig into the process. I've got two manuals, your instructions and time on hand..... B-)

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Briefly - my Joomla site zipped & uploaded to 1and1, then unzipped.
Unfortunately the MySQL Database Setup details are not on a link as the process suggests, so I have emailed 1&1Support & request them to provide the info.
I can guess $user, $password, $log_path & $tmp_path, and possibly $db should be my account no.?
Once I have that info I intend to edit the configuration.php file and modify it to the correct specific details. HOWEVER - what do you use to edit a .php file ?
Once I have the configuration.php file correct I will upload it to the 1and1 site and test..... B-)

best regards - Pete

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:49 pm

The situation regarding databases varies between Europe and US - in the former there are limits on the number of database available and they (1and1) set the up the database and assign the name, password, and, username, this information is usually released when the account is first set up, you can also check your database availability by going to the 1&1 control panel and selecting MySQL database icon and this lists the databases available to you. Username is generally the database name eg dbxxxxxxxxx where xxx = a number and username = dboxxxxxxxx (not the addition of o (letter o not numeric 0)
In US it seems that the creation of database (upto the account limit) is down to user and the details are released each time when a new database is created.

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Ah but.... I don't have the MySQL database icon in the control panel......

petes307
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by petes307 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 pm

aaaaah...... seems that the entry level 1and1 package is "Linux Beginner" and the MySQL option starts on the next level up, which is "Linux Business".
Of course its another £4.00 / monthly...... b-(
I've upgraded now so should have the options tomorrow some time.
The process will continue then...... B-)

best regards - Pete

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 am

OK no problems - the other option is to try it all out on your local pc first (and save yourself some money) using XAMPP/WAMPP or Zend Server CE all of which are free. ;)

Return to “Installation 1.5”