Need Joomla power user help with a 1.5.23 host migration.

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
danielendara
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Need Joomla power user help with a 1.5.23 host migration.

Post by danielendara » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:59 am

Hello,

After 2 weeks of trying night after night in migrating a client's site from hostgator to EC2 aws, I think I am ready to ask for some help.

I am hoping for someone in this forum to please assist me in making the migration a success.

I have tried several approaches and none have been completely successful. I have only gotten a partially working site in all my attempts.

Approach 1: after googling and reading some pages I did the most obvious:
Got all php and mysql dumps from the exising site, but when I rebuilt the site on the destination host,
I get WSOD on the front end. Not a single trace on any the logs. Backend works fine.

Approach 2: installed joomla from scratch but pointed to a new db on the destination with sample data.
I copied the files I needed, but the template from the existing site doesn't render correctly. The sample data just makes things more confusing.

Approach 3: installed joomla from scratch, but used the existing db with no sample data
This has worked the best, but all the data isn't showing correctly. I feel like something got missed from the db, but not sure.

Something to add is that the destination site is an Ubuntu server on AWS EC2, so I provisioned an EC2 instance and installed everything joomla may need ( apache/php/mysql etc ) myself. All components

I can provide more details as needed, if someone wants to get in touch with me I am hoping to take care of this with over a desktopsharing / skype session.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thank you!

-Daniel

johans
I've been banned!

Re: Need Joomla power user help with a 1.5.23 host migration

Post by johans » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:12 am

try to use akeeba back up for transferring or moving your site or you simply upload and download all the files or used the cpanel backup.

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:12 am

Definitely Akeeba Backup... you'll love it.
Vidur Bharany :geek:
Adwiz Digital
http://www.adwiz.in

danielendara
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by danielendara » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:59 am

OK great! I have stumbled on the site, but didn't think much of it. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the responses.

-Daniel

danielendara
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by danielendara » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 am

Bad news. :'(

I was able to successfully install akeeba backup and make a .jpa file from the existing site. ( No Issues ;D )

Using Akeeba Kickstarter, the JPA file and a fresh-brand-new install of joomla 1.5.23.

The site was restored 100% with no issues from kickstarter. ( NO Issues too ;D )

However, I try to access the front end and I get the dreaded php white screen of death. :(

Any other ideas or what I can do next?

Thank you!

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:59 am

Can you access the back-end?

Raise the Error Report Level in Global Configuration.

Clear the Joomla cache.

vidurb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by vidurb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Do you have a link for this?
Vidur Bharany :geek:
Adwiz Digital
http://www.adwiz.in

Return to “Installation 1.5”