Cleaning up Joomla

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
karl_exler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cleaning up Joomla

Post by karl_exler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi folks,

Please imaging: Joomla is running fine, extensions and plugins are installed over years, some are used, some die and are not used longer, everything works fine. ... until the system crashes. We have alle images and we have backups from the database. Thats NOT the problem ...

It is not difficult to set up a brand new Joomla, but -restoring the old daa leads in finding components (in the menu) of the new system, which are from the old system.

A new Joomla 1.5.23 has 36 tables - our old one had 116. I'm looking for a way to restore only the neccessary data (content, user and menustructure) and not all the old stuff.

Any hints?

Thanks a lot
KARL

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Cleaning up Joomla

Post by aemiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 pm

FYI - the newest Joomla 1.5 version is 1.5.24.

How many pages do you have? Could you build a new site and import your pages for a clean install?

karl_exler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl_exler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:04 pm

we have 62 pages of content. What do you mean with "import" - import is a terminus technicus I only know from MYSQL.
Is there another way of import beside that?
BR
KARL

P.S.
For that challenge 1.5.24 or 1.5.23 is without relevence

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 am

I was using import in the non-technical sense of copying and pasting content from your old articles into new articles. For 10 pages that might work. For 62, no I would not want to do that.

However, you mentioned mysql. One of the database tables is jos_content. Could you import that table? Do you also have custom modules or custom template that you would need to reinstall?

karl_exler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by karl_exler » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 am

Yes, a custom template, and no custom modules.

My question again: Is there any description about the joomla tables?

We have defined a lot of sections and categories
we have many users
we have 62 sites of content
we have a modified greenlife as template

So - which (old) MYSQL tables should I import into the new system?
BR
KARL

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Other tables that you would probably want to import include jos_sections, jos_categories, and jos_users. I do not know of any list of descriptions for the various database tables. I think most of the table names are pretty self-explanatory.

Of course I would offer the obvious caution - before starting any conversion, backup you existing site. Akeeba backup is a very good tool for this. Then I would attempt the conversion first on localhost to see if it works before moving it to the live site.

Return to “Installation 1.5”