User Name and Password doesn't match error on admin and user

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Cockeye
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User Name and Password doesn't match error on admin and user

Post by Cockeye » Mon May 12, 2008 7:51 pm

I have just done a clean install using latest build of Joomla 1.5 and the installation is if anything even smoother than the last version - so congrats on that designers :)

However, I set up the admin account on install but everytime I log in I get the error message "User Name and password don't match" which means I can't login to the admin page.

In order to test I created a test user, and the user was created OK, and an activation email was sent out which I clicked on, but when I try to log on as that user I get the same error message "User name and password don't match".

If anyone has any idea I would be very grateful.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: User Name and Password doesn't match error on admin and user

Post by humvee » Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 am

One solution would be to open PHPMyAdmin or similar GUI and access your database.
Go to the jos_users table.
Find the User Super Admin ID 62.
Click the edit pencil.
Scroll down to the password variable.
Highlight and delete the password that is displayed (it is MD5# + SALT) of the password you entered.
Now copy and paste the following MD5# string into the field

Code: Select all

21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3
This code represents the password: admin.
Now click Go to save the change to the database.
Goto http://yourdomain.com/administrator
enter Username admin and password admin. You should be in to your Control Panel
Now go to the User Manager and select the admin user and change the password to something personal.

hth

Andy

wsmedia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wsmedia » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:08 pm

great post. thanks.

jpgareri
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jpgareri » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 am

Fantastic. This was exactly the problem I was having and it worked. Our site was hacked and it appears all the non-super administrators were deleted from the DB and the login information for the three super admins were changed in some way, but not deleted.

Anyway, this solution solved the problem of not getting in.

Thanks.

James Cahoon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by James Cahoon » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Can anyone help me figure out why 21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3 doesn't seem to be working? I have pretty bad insomnia right now but I'm pretty sure I'm doing this correctly, so it should just plug in as the admin password?

Man... I've been having so many problems with Joomla... not being very techy + insomnia problems go a long way towards attacking my brains.
Trying to get Joomla on my website, http://www.naturalcuresforinsomnia.org/ ... rk-for-you, though as implied by the very nature of that website, sometimes I'm a little off due to insomnia.

davidgblackburn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: User Name and Password doesn't match error on admin and

Post by davidgblackburn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Just to let you know, I had the same problem, but never received a confirmation e-mail. After reading your post, rather than changing anything, I just went back to the page and signed in as Admin with my own password. It worked perfectly.

Return to “Installation 1.5”