database confusion

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sbhatta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

database confusion

Post by sbhatta » Fri May 13, 2011 3:55 am

I already have created one Joomla Based website at http://www.aipah.nsw.edu.au

And I am in the process of creating another joomla based website. My client wants both the websites to have exactly (almost) similar look and feel. Now all I did is to create a new instance of Joomla 1.5 using CPanel. Then copied the contents/folders from website A (www.aipah.nsw.edu.au) to website B. And then copied the database (from website A to website B). Now website A is performing ok. However, when I make any changes to website B, the change also gets reflected at website A.

I am not entirely sure why. However, I think it is because somehow it is "using" the same database which it shouldnt. Now can someone point me out how to manually if needed or somehow else to point the website to use new database that new instance of joomla created for website B. Both the websites reside on the same server.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate it.

sbhatta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: database confusion

Post by sbhatta » Fri May 13, 2011 4:38 am

So basically I want to clone website A to website B and use different databases DATABASE A and DATABASE B for the respective websites. When I try , I use the same DATABASE A ...for both. Help please?

mlvfx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: database confusion

Post by mlvfx » Sat May 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi,
u dont have setup MySQL databases correctly... basically:
In PhpAdmin, or ur host MySQL aplication (based on PHP MyAdmin), u need to:
- export the SQL file from A and
- create a fresh database B. Name must be exactly the same as the folder!!
- Import the A SQL to database B,
- paste Joomla files with FTP to folder B
- change configuration.php!!!! to ur new paths for site B. If not...then obviously Joomla is reading from the same config file the tmp, logs and everything. Thus the error.

Hope helps!
Cheers!

Return to “Installation 1.5”