There was an error uploading this file to the server.

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ondra123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

There was an error uploading this file to the server.

Post by ondra123 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi everybody,
I really almost tried everything and I can't figure this out. Basically I can't upload anything through my extension manager in Joomla 1.5 . Every time I try, it says this: "There was an error uploading this file to the server."

I first tried to set it up through FTP. I filled in correct username and a correct password, but joomla says: "The FTP settings are not valid or your FTP server is not compatible with Joomla!"
When I went to advance, and filled in the server also, it didn't help.

So, I tried it to set it up so that I set all directories needed to 777. I looked at help -> system info -> directory permissions, and all directories listed I created writeable (777). It shows they are writeable in directory permissions, but when I try to upload an extenstion, it still says: "There was an error uploading this file to the server." I disabled the FTP transfer in global configuration, but it didn't fix it.

Before I also tried to set the configuration.php to 777, but didn't help. I deleted the whole joomla installation, and tried to do it from scratch, but again with no luck.

What's really strange is that I am able to get Joomla 1.0 working if I set permissions to folders, but I can't get working 1.5.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be not working?

Thank You for all your help

malikperera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: There was an error uploading this file to the server.

Post by malikperera » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:56 am

I have no idea what went wrong. But I think looking at Web server log may help to find what's going on

jdavis74
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jdavis74 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:18 pm

Do you have an FTP service installed on the server? In Linux, you'll need a service such as VSFTP or PROFTP installed. On Windows, you can set it up in IIS or use software like FileZilla server.

If FTP is installed, double-check the service to see if it's running. Then in Joomla, make sure you have the host, user, and password correct. The home directory should be a logical path from the FTP user's home directory, not an absolute path.
Joseph Davis
Technical Support Representative
[email protected]
http://hosting.com

ondra123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ondra123 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:08 am

Yes, the FTP service is installed, and everything is running. Username and password is right too. I can get joomla 1.0 running on it, but not joomla 1.5.

Thanks though

Return to “Installation 1.5”