Moving Hosts

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
TechnologyHub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Moving Hosts

Post by TechnologyHub » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi,

I'm unsure how to tell if my website is Joomla 1.5 or which version it is, and I'm unable to get it working correctly on localhost as well but I haven't messed with it as I'm trying to get the public site back up.

I have used DreamWeaver for most of my designing and recently stumbled upon Joomla. I've really grown accustomed to the OpenSource origins of it and have tried to develop using its platform.

The issue I am having is I had to migrate to an entirely new host and I only have the original file set to update it with. The problem is I am unfamiliar with how to update to the Joomla Platform using my server. I have looked at several [youtube] videos but can't quite seem to find what I am looking for.

From what I can tell - the entire site is intact it's just a matter of getting it to display properly. I've included pictures of the file structure that I can see. The Joomla files are under the "tulare" folder.

My host is using cPanel and from what I've learned it is common and easy to manage. I'm trying to find help migrating the files over and having them display the website completely again.

My problem with FTP is I can only upload one file/folder at a time with FileZilla which would take forever to complete. Is there a way to create a single file to upload to the server and extract? I've tried but it won't allow me to do so. I'm currently on Windows 7 32 Bit so Web Drive is unavailable to me.

I've included photos of the file I was sent from the previous designer. I'm not sure if the directory layout matters so I've included it just in case. I imagine the "tulare" folder is the one that I need to drop into my public_html folder however the problem is getting it there. I'm unable to do it via FTP and don't know any other options aside from restoring a backup file?

Thanks, and I look forward to becoming a part of the community!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tschumler
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Moving Hosts

Post by tschumler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 pm

You have to move the database and the Joomla files and adjust the configuration to make your Joomla installation work on a new server. (Supposing the new server meets the requirements for your Joomla version.)
Maybe this article will help you to get it back to work.
http://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 am

You could also think about using the extension Akeeba Backup Core (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606) to backup your site including the database. You have to transfer the archive file created by Akeeba Backup Core to your remote host and use the kickstart.php script file (created by Akeeba Backup Core developers) to restore the site. Also, you would have a back-up permanently.

Be informed that you have to create a new database on the destination host, create a user for the database, grant all privileges to the user for connecting to it.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

tschumler
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tschumler » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Akeeba Backup is mentioned at the bottom of the article. It's the easiest solution to move a website from one server to another or from your PC to the server.

Return to “Installation 1.5”