IIS5 PHP5 Joomla 1.5 Cookie Issue

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
helper
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

IIS5 PHP5 Joomla 1.5 Cookie Issue

Post by helper » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Been on your forum for many hours and attempted many of the fixes for the common cookie problem during installation.  Nothing seems to be specific to a generic IIS5 installation with PHP5.

PHP Info:
Build Date May 31 2007 09:36:39
Configure Command cscript /nologo configure.js "--enable-snapshot-build" "--with-gd=shared"
Server API ISAPI
Virtual Directory Support enabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path C:\WINDOWS
Loaded Configuration File C:\PHP\php.ini
PHP Session Info:
Session Support enabled
Registered save handlers files user
Registered serializer handlers php php_binary wddx

Directive Local Value Master Value
session.auto_start Off Off
session.bug_compat_42 Off Off
session.bug_compat_warn On On
session.cache_expire 180 180
session.cache_limiter nocache nocache
session.cookie_domain no value no value
session.cookie_httponly Off Off
session.cookie_lifetime 0 0
session.cookie_path C:\PHP\sessions C:\PHP\sessions
session.cookie_secure Off Off
session.entropy_file no value no value
session.entropy_length 0 0
session.gc_divisor 1000 1000
session.gc_maxlifetime 1440 1440
session.gc_probability 1 1
session.hash_bits_per_character 5 5
session.hash_function 0 0
session.name PHPSESSID PHPSESSID
session.referer_check no value no value
session.save_handler files files
session.save_path C:\PHP\sessions C:\PHP\sessions
session.serialize_handler php php
session.use_cookies On On
session.use_only_cookies Off Off
session.use_trans_sid 0 0

The issue is that when I cannot get past step 2. No matter what I set my directory permissions to I continue to come up with the following: "Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled. "
Last edited by helper on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: IIS5 PHP5 Joomla 1.5 Cookie Issue

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:35 pm

helper wrote: Anybody?
Moderator note: Bump message deleted. Please don't bump your threads. See the forum rules:http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html

helper
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by helper » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:14 pm

Thank you not for your consideration.  I will offer other solutions to my clients.  Please remove me from this forum and mailing list.

yin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by yin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 pm

I have the same problem, and can´t find out how to enable cookies in my control panel.

Can this feature be disabled an other way?

miloskorac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by miloskorac » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:45 pm

helper wrote: Thank you not for your consideration.  I will offer other solutions to my clients.  Please remove me from this forum and mailing list.
Shame really, so many so called programmers here, and cant help a person....  >:(

dcouchie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcouchie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:39 pm

I have the same problem - can't install due to cookie problem.  :pop

Quinie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Quinie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client.

The error msg said Client.. did you test other clients ?
firefox / ie / etc

did you remove cache and cookie's and tryed again ?

php5 and iis is a bit buggy some versions (tryed older php versions ?? )

please post your tests and results this will help the programers narrowing down the problem lot's of thinks can be tested before you call upon them. please do so and let them know what you did and what the result was. More information leads to better answers
Last edited by Quinie on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcouchie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcouchie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:34 pm

I am using Firefox as well at IE.  I removed all of the security features and still got the same error.  The ISP that the site is hosted on has not upgraded to PHP 5 yet.

tinkertool
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tinkertool » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:38 pm

dcouchie wrote: I am using Firefox as well at IE.  I removed all of the security features and still got the same error.  The ISP that the site is hosted on has not upgraded to PHP 5 yet.
I am having similar issue, but I have cookies enabled anyway on all browsers and still no good. Now I cannot get past this point at (even tried to remove verything and start again) Now get this error:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMPLETELY
REMOVE THE INSTALLATION DIRECTORY
You will not be able to proceed beyond this point until the installation directory is removed. This is a security feature of Joomla!.

But this assumes you have installed which I have not as yet?? ANYONE PLEASE HELP???

Quinie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Quinie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Can you check the php error log file and post the error it may contain here.
also check the mysql error log and iis error log.

what mysql version are you guys using and what mode is it set to (strict or mysql 4).
Is it only on iis or other webservers have problems to ?
Last edited by Quinie on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:14 pm

tinkertool wrote:
dcouchie wrote: I am using Firefox as well at IE.  I removed all of the security features and still got the same error.  The ISP that the site is hosted on has not upgraded to PHP 5 yet.
I am having similar issue, but I have cookies enabled anyway on all browsers and still no good. Now I cannot get past this point at (even tried to remove verything and start again) Now get this error:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO COMPLETELY
REMOVE THE INSTALLATION DIRECTORY
You will not be able to proceed beyond this point until the installation directory is removed. This is a security feature of Joomla!.

But this assumes you have installed which I have not as yet?? ANYONE PLEASE HELP???
Has the database been created on MySQL and have the necessary tables all been created (34 I think)

You say you have not installed Joomla! yet but in order to get to this screen you need to have gone through the preceding stages - (see the Installation Manual for step by step reference.).

Please describe the process you have gone through to get to that "error" screen (btw it is not an error it is a warning message that forms a part of the installation process itself)

Have you deleted the Installation Directory from your web root (where you uploaded all the files to)?

Joomla! 1.5 will run on PHP v.4.3.x and above although it is recommended to have at least PHP v.4.4.3. as well as 5.x. It will operate better on 5.x. but it is not necessary that you must have 5.x

@ All
As Quinie mentioned in preceding post please post the errors that are actually being displayed as well as any additional info from server logs, etc.

Andy

Quinie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Quinie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 pm

any new information on this ?

tinkertool
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tinkertool » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi YES solved, combo problem - part to do with installation done initially on Apple/Firefix bbut with Cookies enabled would not go part first stage of install - so switched to PC with Firefox, that errored but worke out that permissions on the server were not correct and that ownership of files was problem. Changed manually and all worked.

feudalac
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by feudalac » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:38 pm

I have the same problem....
I have Windows 2003 server with IIS6, PHP5 and MySql 5
the instalation of PHP didn't work so i did what this page (http://www.peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html) said to do and now it works.

At the start of the installation, i make a choise on the installation language and press 'next'
On the next screen i get the following error:
An Error has occurred!:Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled.

My browser has cookies enabled (FF an IE) - accept all cookies
this happens on every machine i tryed...

The problem is in the PHP 'Magic Quotes GPC' variable.... when set to ON, there is no error

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Are the permissions correctly set as suggested?
Have you enabled the extensions for MySQL et al within the php.ini file?

Andy

miark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by miark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:19 pm

Yes I have had the same problem. - It is a PHP problem rather than IE problem.

What I did to get over the problem after many installs and reinstalls... you get the drift.

1. In your php.ini (I am using php 5.2.4 - c:\program files\php\php.ini), I located the session.save_path & upload_tmp_dir and change the pathes to C:\program files\php\temp\session

*** I believe that these can be any location but if the don't exist then you have to create them.

2. You also have to give permission for the web page to write to these pages - I gave Internet Guest Account full rights (You should play around with this as to no compromise your system)

AntonNewbie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AntonNewbie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:23 am

I have PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.45 both SUCCESSFULLY running with IIS 5.1

When I try to install Joomla 1.5 I get the "cookies disabled" problem. Cookies ARE enabled.

I have tried IE and Firefox - same problem on both.

I have set the PHP.ini file entries suggested:-
Magic quotes ON
and
upload_tmp_dir="c:\php5\temp\session"
session.save_path="c:\php5\temp\session"
after having created the appropriate folders.

These changes make no difference - still get "cookies disabled" error.

Please suggest what I can try next.
Last edited by AntonNewbie on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:12 am

AntonNewbie wrote: Please suggest what I can try next.
Have you read and tried the information provided in the Stickies at the top of this Board?

Andy

AntonNewbie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AntonNewbie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Sorry - what's a "sticky"?

Looked at the top of the board and just see some advertisements under a menu...

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:20 pm

Currently the Installation forum has 4 stickied topics, see here:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,429.0.html

You need the second topic, Windows IIS Web Server Installation Assistance:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,223146.0.html

AntonNewbie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AntonNewbie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:20 pm

OK and thanks. I found the "stickies" and have read them all. They are not appropriate for the problem I am having.

1. I have IIS 5.1 (Windows XP SP-2) up an running as a local server. It has several in-development sites on it and works just fine.
2. I have php 5.2.4 installed as well as MySQL 5.0.45 and they are correctly set up.
3. I can create dynamic websites with php and they read data from a MySQL database just fine.

I have been through all the hoops setting up IIS/PHP/MySQL and it all works just fine.

My problem is very simple -
I read the entire Installation Manual and made notes of important points.
Joomla has this strange and quite unhelpful install system. I copy the entire unzipped "c:\Joomla" folder into the local server at "c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\joomla".
I open my browser and type in the url  "http://localhost/joomla/"
A page opens and asks what default language I choose. (I chose English from the choices offered)
I click on the NEXT button
A new page appears and says that cookies are disabled and the installation cannot continue.

I have DEFINITELY enabled cookies
I have tried IE 6 and Firefox 2 (Yes, cookies are enabled on both of them !)

My over-riding impression is that Joomla looks like a very interesting and useful CMS and I think the team producing it and assisting new users are doing a great job - just as the producers of PHP and MySQL are doing. They are probably all fine example of software -

BUT ***********

Most open-source, free, GPL software is developed by people who are great programmers totally committed to perfecting the project. Few people want to be involved in the far more mundane matters of producing good, readable and comprehensive help files and documentation.

Nobody really wants to search through a multitude of forum posts trying to find basic information to solve what is obviously a common problem (if the number of people with similar problems is any indication).

Surely Joomla would be a better product, and be far more widely used, if the installation and set-up was simplified, and handled in a step-by-step fashion which even new users could understand?

Telling potential users that cookies are disabled (when they are not), and just stopping the installation is hardly helpful. If certain setting in the PHP.ini file are essential, why do you have to sign up for membership, log onto a forum, and wade through countless postings to try and find them?

Thanks for your help.

Quinie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Quinie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Anton did you try ntfs write permissions on the session paths from your ini.:
miark wrote: 2. You also have to give permission for the web page to write to these pages - I gave Internet Guest Account full rights (You should play around with this as to no compromise your system)
Last edited by Quinie on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlueSky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TheBlueSky » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:17 pm

Hello all,

I totally agree with what AntonNewbie said... this is a very common problem and yet it's not mentioned anywhere and there is no document tells how to avoid or walk around it.

I did every possible thing I read or thought about; my Windows Server 2003, IIS and PHP are working very well together (I know that because I have other application running on the same server) but still can't get the setup of Joomla done. The only screen I could pass is the language selection and tha's it!

Well, there are many talkings about MySQL and connecting to the database, I don't know why this can be any related as in my case I didn't reach the level of configuring the database, and the other thing is why there are also talkings about changing some options in php.ini file? If this is required, where is the document that says so? And why the displayed error show that it's related to cookies and client browser? Can't be the error something related? The same applies to the permession setting; shouldn't I know that before start the installation? Again, where is it written? Again and Again, why the error is saying cookies and browser?

Tell me where did I go wrong or give me the step by step setup document that finally results in installing the application without displaying the "Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client...etc." error.

Thanks

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:19 pm

AntonNewbie wrote: My over-riding impression is that Joomla looks like a very interesting and useful CMS and I think the team producing it and assisting new users are doing a great job - just as the producers of PHP and MySQL are doing. They are probably all fine example of software -

BUT ***********

Most open-source, free, GPL software is developed by people who are great programmers totally committed to perfecting the project. Few people want to be involved in the far more mundane matters of producing good, readable and comprehensive help files and documentation.

Nobody really wants to search through a multitude of forum posts trying to find basic information to solve what is obviously a common problem (if the number of people with similar problems is any indication).

Surely Joomla would be a better product, and be far more widely used, if the installation and set-up was simplified, and handled in a step-by-step fashion which even new users could understand?

Telling potential users that cookies are disabled (when they are not), and just stopping the installation is hardly helpful. If certain setting in the PHP.ini file are essential, why do you have to sign up for membership, log onto a forum, and wade through countless postings to try and find them?
Thanks for your help.
You seem to be under some misguided impressions judging by the crass, ill-informed, and insulting statements you make in this post.

The first point you seem to have absolutely no comprehension for is that Joomla! is a non-commercial project, it is run entirely by volunteers who contribute to the project when their every day real lives allow them the time.
Yes the programming is done by experienced developers and they are keen to make the code perfect that is everyone's aim all-be-it often difficult to achieve.

Yes documentation is often the poor relation in this type of project simply because those that can't program are too busy invariably whinging that something is not intuitive enough for them or the instructions are not detailed enough.

We currently have a regular team of 4 people who are prepared on a regular to roll their sleeves up and carry out both the developer and the user document for this project. Is that enough? NO ... but wasting our time answering posts from people who clearly want everything done for them and aren't prepared to help themselves and others. Are we programmers NO (other than what we learn ourselves along the way).

Joomla! is primarily developed for the Apache, MySQL, and PHP platform as is clearly stated in the limited documentation, mainly because all of those projects follow the same Open Source as Joomla! and provide their software at no cost. Yes it is intended that it will be compatible with other server types provided these support MySQL and PHP but as has been stated in many other threads on this topic, the developers are not specialists in these and in fact do not have in this case an IIS server on which this can be directiy tested during development.

You will find plenty of individuals on this forum who are prepared to give up their own time to assist those that need it (and I would add deserve it) who are prepared to work with others rather than against them. Your post and others like it make many wonder why the bother be they developers, documenters, or forum members. I would suggest you take a look at what you have said and consider why you feel you are entitled to more than this.

The upshot of this would seem to be that you get your wallet out and go buy yourself an off the shelf package with paid support that you can then dictate the terms and conditions of service you require! I frankly doubt whether you would get  the support of a community in the same way as the Joomla! community supports. You can either choose to be a contributive member of that community or be on the outside as a detractor.

bigkwaka
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bigkwaka » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:02 pm

I had the same problem,

After trying a few different things (as suggested in this thread) Setting the permissions for Internet Guest User Account for upload_tmp_dir & session.save_path (as per php.ini) did the trick.

I was a little confused at the start because I got the impression from a long, earlier thread that nothing that was suggested would work.

Thanks Everyone

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi bigwaka,
Glad you managed to get it all going sometimes it is difficult to get through all the FUD that some people are intent on spreading and thanks for posting which tweak resulted in the fix.
Regards

Andy

Quinie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Quinie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:21 pm

So it seems to be a webserver configuration error. Not specific Joomla related. Only joomla seems to present a strange error msg. it's hardly cookie related. Can this be added to the error msg? check you write permissions on session path php.ini. or can a check be made by Joomla on this ?

jslacksmith
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jslacksmith » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:47 am

I was having the same problem, Windows 2003, Apache 2.2.4 (not IIS) , php 5.2.4 mysql 5.0x.

I looked at the apache error log & found this:

[Wed Nov 07 15:29:33 2007] [error] [client 192.168.168.115] PHP Warning:  ini_set() [function.ini-set]: A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in C:\\Apache2\\htdocs\\libraries\\joomla\\session\\session.php on line 87, referer: http://www.blahblahblah.com/installation/index.php

I googled part of the message and found this:
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&o ... +is+active

which led to this:
http://forum.phpmyfaq.de/viewtopic.php? ... a3b43aed7e

I set
session.auto_start =0

Restarted apache and got past the "Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled." message.

It's now installed.
Now to figure out how to use it.

Hope this helps somebody

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:48 am

jslacksmith wrote: I was having the same problem, Windows 2003, Apache 2.2.4 (not IIS) , php 5.2.4 mysql 5.0x.

I set
session.auto_start =0

Restarted apache and got past the "Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled." message.

It's now installed.
Now to figure out how to use it.

Hope this helps somebody
Hi

Welcome to the Joomla! community.

Thanks for taking the time to confirm the solution that helped you get a successful installation. Hopefully you will have more fun with the rest of Joomla! :)

Regards

Andy

charleslynch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by charleslynch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:32 am

Look at the php.ini file and find the session.save_path=
In my case the directory didn't exist and so I created it and gave everyone full rights to the directory...I am using IIS...

Return to “Installation 1.5”