upload joomla site to FTP using Akeeba

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
colruyt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

upload joomla site to FTP using Akeeba

Post by colruyt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 am

Hi, I am a newbie to this. I made a joomla site on localhost, now I would like to upload this site to a server hosted by university.

When I made the site on localhost, I created a MySQL database myself, but if I upload this site to a remote sever, is this the same database? or it should be the MySQL database provided by the university?

Thanks

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: upload joomla site to FTP using Akeeba

Post by imanickam » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 am

It should be the MySQL database provided by the university.

As for as the database is concerned, it varies between host services. So their document is the best place to understand how the database is setup.

You could transfer your site developed in Joomla! from localhost to a remote host by the following ways.

(i) Use the extension Akeeba Backup Core (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606) to backup your site including the database. You have to transfer the archive file created by Akeeba Backup Core to your remote host and use the kickstart.php script file (created by Akeeba Backup Core developers) to restore the site.

(ii) Use the manual process. Review the document http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_copy_ ... te_host%3F for more information.

Note: In both the cases, you have to create a new database on the remote host, create a user for the database, grant all privileges to the user for connecting to it.

If the university is providing the database, make sure that the username has been GRANTed all privileges.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

colruyt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by colruyt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 am

imanickam wrote:It should be the MySQL database provided by the university.

As for as the database is concerned, it varies between host services. So their document is the best place to understand how the database is setup.

You could transfer your site developed in Joomla! from localhost to a remote host by the following ways.

(i) Use the extension Akeeba Backup Core (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606) to backup your site including the database. You have to transfer the archive file created by Akeeba Backup Core to your remote host and use the kickstart.php script file (created by Akeeba Backup Core developers) to restore the site.

(ii) Use the manual process. Review the document http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_copy_ ... te_host%3F for more information.

Note: In both the cases, you have to create a new database on the remote host, create a user for the database, grant all privileges to the user for connecting to it.

If the university is providing the database, make sure that the username has been GRANTed all privileges.

Thanks for your reply.

When I log into MySQL provided by the university, I saw there are already some files existed under the database (this site has been maintained by someone else before, so there are files from the previous website), so I guess I can clean the database?

Because I used akeeba backup files and kickstart to reinstall the site from my local host to the server, it reinstalled the old website, not the current one I need.

I got .jpa backup file from Akeeba, does this contain both the site and database when doing the back up?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 am

Yes, the file with extension .jpa should contain both the site files and the database backup unless the settings were changed during the backup.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

colruyt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by colruyt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:17 am

imanickam wrote:Yes, the file with extension .jpa should contain both the site files and the database backup unless the settings were changed during the backup.

Thanks a lot. And you mentioned creating the new database on the remote server, so in the first option using Akeeba, I just need an empty one right? and then Akeeba will reinstall the database?

while in the second manual option, I need to manually export and import the database?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:33 am

colruyt wrote:And you mentioned creating the new database on the remote server, so in the first option using Akeeba, I just need an empty one right? and then Akeeba will reinstall the database?

while in the second manual option, I need to manually export and import the database?
Yes & Yes

You mentioned that the university has provided the database. If so, you could use that. Make sure that the username connecting to the database should have been GRANTed all privileges.

colruyt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by colruyt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:26 am

imanickam wrote:
colruyt wrote:And you mentioned creating the new database on the remote server, so in the first option using Akeeba, I just need an empty one right? and then Akeeba will reinstall the database?

Yes & Yes

You mentioned that the university has provided the database. If so, you could use that. Make sure that the username connecting to the database should have been GRANTed all privileges.

Thanks again. I uploaded my site to the FTP, everything works fine now, except under the FTP folder I couldn't find all the installation files? I installed under public_html, but now they are no those config.php file or what's so ever?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colruyt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by colruyt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:29 am

ok, stupid question, simply didn't refresh...

Return to “Installation 1.5”