How to update the Joomla DB with existing sql file on system

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
akhiljain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to update the Joomla DB with existing sql file on system

Post by akhiljain » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi,

I was having some issue with my Joomla website and it got corrupted and now I can't see any of the content on my website.

I do have the old DB .sql file on my desktop but when I login to my hosting control panel and login to my Joomla DB and try Importing the existing .sql file then it gives me an error of the nature "DB already exist".

I'm not able to figure out that how should I update the existing DB on the server thru the .sql file which I have on my system.

Here are the steps which I'm following:
1) Launch the web hosting
2) Edit the Joomla DB
3) Open Manager
4) Login to phpMyAdmin
5) Select the Joomla DB and click on Import
6) Choose the SQL file from the desktop and click Go
7) Error:
MySQL said: #1007 - Can't create database 'XYZ'; database exists

Please help me resolve the issue. Thanks for your time and going thru the thread.

Much Thanks,
Akhil Jain

aapis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: How to update the Joomla DB with existing sql file on sy

Post by aapis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Could try changing the name of the database you're creating (to ABC, for example) , then changing the config file accordingly so joomla accesses the new database.

akhiljain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by akhiljain » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did as you mentioned above. I changed the name of the DB and also updated the config file and uploaded it thru FTP but still I cannot see the content displayed on my website ( it's blank with the top menu getting displayed)

When I login to administrator and click on Control Panel I see the page with broken text on it something like this:
Welcome to Joomla!

Congratulations on choosing Joomla! as your content management system. To help you get started, check out these excellent resources for securing your server and pointers to documentation and other helpful resources.

Security

aapis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aapis » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Stupid question but the .sql file had data in it right?

If so and you're still not seeing anything, my next step would be to check that my db connection is correct (like, host, user, password are all good). Check the jos_content table to see if there is any data in there and, if there is, make sure the config file is pointing to the right db (which you've already done if you're only using FTP to manage your site). If none of that works, it might be time to upgrade to a newer version and start from scratch. Your DB backup will need to be processed for the 1.7 table structure, there are resources here (not sure where though!) that explain all about upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7.

akhiljain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by akhiljain » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 am

well Yes there is data in .sql, also db connection are pointing to the right file. jos_table is correct. I checked all this before posting the previous Q's.

Will check for 1.7 upgrade. Thanks

subrat
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by subrat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:44 am

Try dropping the tables from the old database and then import the backup database.
Quality WebDevelopment at http://www.webworkwiz.com
Affordable hosting http://www.vsmhosting.com

akhiljain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by akhiljain » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:08 pm

alright. lemme try that

akhiljain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by akhiljain » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 pm

When I login to admin. Menu-> Menu Manager I can't see anything under it. Even all the link under admin goes away when I click menu manger or top menu. Seems the admin is messed up bcz of which content is not getting displayed. Any idea on it?

speedziarz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by speedziarz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:53 pm

I think you have not backup of sql database like tables and so on, but backup of whole database - it means You have to create new database by importing it from sql file on root, not in phpMyadmin.
Strona edukacyjna z fizyki, jest niezwykle przydatna dla gimnazjum, liceum oraz na studiach - http://fizyka.dk jest trudna, ale dzięki http://fizyka.dk/tablice/wzory/wzory-li ... rta-wzorow i nie tylko, łatwo można nauczyć się fizyki.

speedziarz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by speedziarz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:44 am

azsxa wrote:...
I believe he won't be interesting in that stuff.
And what it have to do with updating DB from SQL file??
Strona edukacyjna z fizyki, jest niezwykle przydatna dla gimnazjum, liceum oraz na studiach - http://fizyka.dk jest trudna, ale dzięki http://fizyka.dk/tablice/wzory/wzory-li ... rta-wzorow i nie tylko, łatwo można nauczyć się fizyki.

Return to “Installation 1.5”