Joomla 1.5 install issue

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Jasonds
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.5 install issue

Post by Jasonds » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 am

Howdy folks.

I'm currently working on a webpage for the Co-op apartment building I live in. Basically we're a non-profit co-op so I've elected to do everything as cheap as possible.

A friend recommended Joomla. So far I think its great but I have an issue with the install.

I am using the webspace donated to us by a local web hosting company. The problem is its basically space. No control panel or advanced options you'd see on commercial hosts. I have the FTP info and can upload/download from the host but there is no web based login or control panel access

This causes a problem for me as the joomla install requires a database name and I am unable to create one in my current situation. Or is there another way of creating this database?

I know I can get web hosting pretty cheap, and if all else fails, I will do that. But as stated before, we are non-profit and I wanted to do this as cost effective as possible.

Linc
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Joomla 1.5 install issue

Post by Linc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:21 am

This is something you have to check with the service provider and see if they can offer any free mysql database.
www.webhostpark.com
Get quality web hosting with latest promotion

MW11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MW11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Howdy Jason,

> I'm currently working on a webpage for the Co-op apartment building I live in.
> Basically we're a non-profit co-op so I've elected to do everything as cheap as possible.

IMO, doing it as cheaply as possible is not a good idea.

IMO, (no offense!) being non-profit is not good enough justification for being penny-wise and pound foolish.

If I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible, then I'd whip up some plain HTML pages A) because they're simple, and B) because then there is no need for PHP and/or MySQL, and C) because free WYSIWYG editors are available!

> A friend recommended Joomla. So far I think its great but I have an issue with the install.

IMO, people recommend whatever they believe in,
however, IMO, a recommendation is not good enough a reason to use Joomla in your particular situation, when you want something as cheaply as possible.

> I am using the webspace donated to us by a local web hosting company.

If you use donated space, the most likely issue is, you're going to get no customer service. And you will need customer service. Because when you attempt to start installing Joomla, one of the first things you will need is the full cooperation of your hosting company.

> The problem is its basically space. No control panel or advanced options you'd see on commercial hosts.
> I have the FTP info and can upload/download from the host but there is no web based login or control panel access

If it's a combination of free space and free FTP upload/download, and if you want it as cheaply as possible, then it's PERFECT opportunity for for creating pages from scratch, with the help of a (free) HTML editor. And then everything is going to be FREE!

If you want to do it as cheaply as possible, you've got two major options:

1) You can create plain HTML pages from scratch, and then you'll be able to shoehorn your project into that donated space. However, with a free host, usually there are additional issues.

2) Alternatively, you can create something fancier, using an open-source CMS, e.g. Joomla (but then you'll need a bit of support from your current hosting company; or alternatively you may want to rent space from a cheap but decent/reliable commercial hosting company, because the latter means the all-important customer service and/or support).

> This causes a problem for me as the joomla install requires a database name and I am unable to create one in my current situation.

Exactly.

> Or is there another way of creating this database?

Generally you need the support/customer service of your hosting company.

However, sometimes, on rare occasions, you can find a combination of no charge AND customer service AND reliable hosting AND unwanted advertising placed on your site, however the latter combination is rare.

> I know I can get web hosting pretty cheap, and if all else fails, I will do that.

In my experience, it's penny wise and pound foolish to mess around with free or cheap hosting companies. Sure, you can pay as little as $1/mo to $4/mo but please remember, you get what you pay for! Real good hosting companies charge up to $350/mo, which means if you get a good hosting company with great customer service that charges only $5/mo, then they're already a tremendous bargain!

> But as stated before, we are non-profit and I wanted to do this as cost effective as possible.

As I stated it before, doing it as cheaply as possible is not a good idea.

And, as I stated it before, just being non-profit is not good enough justification for being penny-wise and pound foolish.

Sorry, I mean no offense when I'm talking about being penny wise and pound foolish. I'm simply giving you the benefit of my 12-year experience with various hosting companies all over the world.

I suggest, instead of asking for a recommendation for a CMS, you ask for a recommendation for a great (but reasonably priced) hosting company!

Jasonds
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jasonds » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:33 am

Actually I have found another solution to my problem that doesn't involve Joomla but gives me exactly what I need. Things are working fine now.

sanjananb99
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sanjananb99 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:33 am

i have the same issue....

Return to “Installation 1.5”