Clearer minimum requirements on the Joomla download page

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Rowby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Clearer minimum requirements on the Joomla download page

Post by Rowby » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm

With security and quality hosting so important to Joomla's stability and reputation, I am surprised how difficult it is for a first time (and even an experienced) joomla user to find the recommended settings for a Joomla site.

When someone downloads joomla from the Joomla home page they should FIRST be taken to a technical requirements page. That's right -- before they arrive at the download page at http://joomlacode.org/.

The page should incorporate a version this attached acrobat page, from the actual 1.5 joomla installation setup.

It dismays me when I find someone has already signed up with a lousy hosting company (often very well known hosting companies -- but bad for Joomla) because they don't even know what questions to ask of their hosting company BEFORE they sign up or BEFORE they start the installation on a sub optimal hosting company.

A person should not be in the Joomla installation process to find that they have chosen an inferior hosting company for their Joomla site.

How can we make my suggestion happen (specifically a detailed Technical page right from the Joomla.org home page DOWNLOAD button -- to go to the technical page. (Yes I know there is a text link on the bottom left of the Joomla.org home page but that is really not sufficient.)
Joomla! Web Installer-recommended settings.pdf
Regards,

...Rowby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rowby on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Clearer minimum requirements on the Joomla download page

Post by dpacadmin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:58 pm

A good start might be to add the information to the Joomla Wiki, then maybe someone will link to the Wiki page.
http://docs.joomla.org/

Rowby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Clearer minimum requirements on the Joomla download page

Post by Rowby » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks!

I added it to the wiki

Rowby

Return to “Installation 1.5”