Install errors

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
OldManRiver
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Install errors

Post by OldManRiver » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:59 pm

All,

Getting this error after install:

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

but all MySQL PRIVILEGES are right and can see the Joomla tables and structure in phpMyAdmin.

I checked the configuration.php file and do not see where The Joomla Administrator and it's password are set, like in the older versions and think this is the problem, since they are different from the MYSQL settings.

Can I get some help debugging this?

Thanks!

OMR

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Install errors

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Admin name and password are not stored in the config file for security reasons, even though the database ones are. They should be different from the database username and password.

There seems to be some problem with the way the DB host and / or dbUsername and/or dbPassword have been stored in the configuration.php file.

Alternatively if you are working on a localhost server make sure the database is actually running. If it is not set to run as a service on Windows for example, every time you reboot you need to restart the database and web server.

If on a remote host check with the host to make sure there have been no changes to their set up that may be causing an issue.

OldManRiver
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by OldManRiver » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 pm

humvee wrote:Admin name and password are not stored in the config file for security reasons, even though the database ones are. They should be different from the database username and password.

There seems to be some problem with the way the DB host and / or dbUsername and/or dbPassword have been stored in the configuration.php file.

Alternatively if you are working on a localhost server make sure the database is actually running. If it is not set to run as a service on Windows for example, every time you reboot you need to restart the database and web server.

If on a remote host check with the host to make sure there have been no changes to their set up that may be causing an issue.
humvee,

First off this is Ubuntu Linux box! I don't do WinDUHs!, Yes MySQL runs fine, but install would not write the DB, so went to phpmyadmin and put it in, which got me to the end of the install process. Declared the new DB for joomla as "Joomla1.5" because will also be adding 2.5 soon, for migration purposes. That being said the following parms are true:

Code: Select all

host:  localhost /127.0.0.1
db:    Joomla1.5
Since the configuration.php file did not exist had to create it, then had to run:

Code: Select all

chown myuser:users /var/www -R && chmod 775 /var/www -R
to ensure writability to all the /var/www/joomla files and dirs.
but still having an issue with the writability of the DB or connection to it.

I always use the following rules with MySQL (not my first rodeo):
  1. Never ever ever use root in any code calling the DB,
  2. Change the root PWD to something criptic,
  3. Declare a user for phpmyadmin with admin rights,
  4. Declare a general user with admin rights,
  5. Declare a user for coding with only select, insert, update, delete and execute rights,
Then I always use the general admin user for apps like Joomla and only let the code, including Joomla User side, only use the coding user id, but not this far as the install will not let me connect with the "Admin User" parms.

So still trying to wrap up to get this install right. Need to add a "coupon" component and scrape the DB, for another install I'm working on.

Thanks!

OMR

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:43 pm

db: Joomla1.5

try replacing the '.' with an underscore.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm

The error you are getting is because the install is not finding the database. If it found the database but the user/pass was wrong it would be a different error.

File Ownership issues are often difficult(for some) to overcome on Ubuntu Linux. Please see http://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Jooml ... _choose.3F
I use the method stated there for xampp, it works well and saves me a lot of headaches.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Installation 1.5”