Installing Joomla on Plesk

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wsabba01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing Joomla on Plesk

Post by wsabba01 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:13 pm

I am new user on Joomla and I would like to know if there is a tutorial on how to install Joomla on Plesk server.

Thanks

diskj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Installing Joomla on Plesk

Post by diskj » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:28 am

You will be getting quite a Headache. I have spent all night trying to track down an answer to a few problems I now find I have in relation to Plesk and a dedicated server I pay for. After Installing Joomla 1.5 and having to change the Config file as directed in one post I read, I now have these error reports: "JFolder::create: Could not create directory" or "There was an error uploading this file to the server." or "JFolder::create: Could not create directory
Warning! Failed to move file.
JFile::read: Unable to open file: 'tmp\rt_firenzie_j15.tgz'
Unable to read archive"

There are also posts about changing security on CHMOD as well as the Apache security files, which sounds dangerouse to me, the uneducated.

Some problems posted seem to date back to Jan 2007 and before, I have not seen many "Joomla Officers" reply either, so I think you and I are in for a long troublesome painful experience. It's a shame really, I am so impressed with Joomla.

wsabba01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wsabba01 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:16 am

well I got it working without installing Joomla on Plesk. I just unzipped the Joomla download files and ftp them to the server directly and it worked. I opened the admin page and went through the installation and at the end the configuration.php file was configured by the tool. I used their existing site and replace it with mine. But now I am having a problem reconnecting to the admin page I must clicked something on the admin page that I am not supposed to. try to upload your file directly using ftp and see if this will work.

Nisaros
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Nisaros » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:32 pm

To be honest with you im quite disappointed in plesk for the following reasons. First of all in order to unzip any file within plesk via ftp you must be able to have access to the ssh terminal. Furtheremore the hosting company will refuse to give you that access but will unzip the your joomla zipped website for you. As soon as that completes you are then faced with the second issue: the jfolder probem. Despite the fact that i have already changed all the directory permissions to writtable nothing (components, plugins, languages all the lot) will ever be installed... In addition i tried to install the same site via cpanel as a subdirectory of an already existing website. And it worked. Im not writing this reply to compare between the two but to actually find a solution for plesk. There must be a way. im using plesk 8.6. any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

wdriver
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wdriver » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:28 am

In Plesk 9.* under the domains 'Web Hosting Settings' icon you now have the ability to activate 'Fast CGI Application' for 'PHP Support' (instead of the normal 'Apache module' option). Do this and also tick the FastCGI support tickbox if required (i suggest to just do it anyway).

This will now stop the server writing files as apache:apache and instead write the files as ftpowner:psacln instead. So now you have full control over your files and can develop using Joomla in a PLESK system.

As usual you may have to '777' some directories which can be easily done through ftp.

dw1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dw1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Great info: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2438971

Description:
Control Panel: Plesk 10
Server: Dedicated
PHP: FastCGI - NOT APACHE

Situation:
Installing multiple Joomla websites. Ownership is defaulting to "apache". Prevents moving files and directories. Prevents installation and proper tmp directories from functioning.

Initiated ssh connection.
Update permissions for the /tmp folder:
# chmod -R 777 /tmp
I had tried the 755 and did not work. Errors in Plesk panel.

Edited the global php.ini.
Set the session.save_path to "/tmp".
# cd /etc/
# nano php.ini
make a backup of the php.ini file.
find the session.save_path info in the php.ini file. I used nano to edit. nano comes with my server setup. nano is a text editor. place the "/tmp" into path. save file.

FTP your akeeba backup.
Install into temp folder.
Allow full permissions on install files prior to installing.
Once installed check ownership. It should be your ftp owner not apache.

Once installed move your joomla files and directories to main root folder of your domain.

Sprengel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Sprengel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:48 am

dw1 wrote:Initiated ssh connection.
Update permissions for the /tmp folder:
# chmod -R 777 /tmp
I had tried the 755 and did not work. Errors in Plesk panel.
Am I right that permissions set to 777 could be a security problem?

NeuroPsyche
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NeuroPsyche » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 am

I'm trying to install Joomla 2.5.3 on a Plesk 10.4.4 server and it's just not working...
It installs in /httpdocs/joomla...
the configuration.php file shows the real location of the joomla... for example: d:\inetpub\vhosts\domain\joomla...
I published the Main Menu to test it out but when I go to the domain nothing shows...

If anyone has any ideas please write...
Thanks!

Return to “Installation 1.5”