Change from Joomla 1.6 to Joomla 1.5

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AbbyTan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Change from Joomla 1.6 to Joomla 1.5

Post by AbbyTan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:02 am

I had installed Joomla 1.6 but just realised that it doesn't support the tw_jungle template, whch I really like. (Guess I am a newbie and did not plan ahead for this :-[ )

My question is:

Now if I delete Joomla 1.6 from the ftp and install Joomla 1.5, will it upset all the earlier setting I had made for the SQL database? Or will I have to set My SQL database all over again?

Thank you in advance

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Change from Joomla 1.6 to Joomla 1.5

Post by imanickam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:18 am

AbbyTan wrote:if I delete Joomla 1.6 from the ftp and install Joomla 1.5, will it upset all the earlier setting I had made for the SQL database?
It is not clear about what settings you are talking about.

If you could create a new database then it is well and good. If it is a problem to create a new database, what you could do is to use the existing database itself. Since the Table Prefix would be different, new tables would be created in the same database.

Once you have tested the site, you could drop the tables created by Joomla! 1.6 from that database.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

AbbyTan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AbbyTan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Dear imanickam, thank you so much for all your very helpful advice.

I had installed the Joomla version from 1.6 earleir, but now thinking of changing it to 1.5.

When I installed the 1.6 version, I had also set up My SQL database but yet to run the installation script.

So, do I have to set up My SQL database again (ie. creating another username and database, as shown in the attached screen page) after deleting the 1.6 and uploading the 1.5 via ftp?

You said" If you could create a new database then it is well and good." -is it as straightforward as just keying in another name for user and database (the same attachment)? If not, may you teach me how to do it?

You also said that "If it is a problem to create a new database, what you could do is to use the existing database itself. Since the Table Prefix would be different, new tables would be created in the same database."- what kind of problem is one likely to face in creating a new database?

Lastly, you said that "Once you have tested the site, you could drop the tables created by Joomla! 1.6 from that database."- how do I drop the tables from the database?

Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm

From the image in the document attached, I believe that you are comfortable setting up a new database. That being said, use a new database for your Joomla! 1.5.x site. Remember that Joomla! 1.5.25 is the latest version in 1.5 series.

Yes, you could delete the files & sub-directories where Joomla! 1.6 resides. After that you could upload Joomla! 1.5 files (along with sub-directories) and state the install.

As for as dropping a database or a table in the database, you could do it in the utility/tool phpMyAdmin.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

AbbyTan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AbbyTan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:53 am

Dear imanickam, thanks again first.

Well, if it is the few steps to set up My SQL database as shown to you in the previous attachment, then I'm ok. But you suggest that I use a new database for my 1.5x site. So is it as straightforward as going through the same steps of creating the username and database again?

You said, "As for as dropping a database or a table in the database, you could do it in the utility/tool phpMyAdmin."
- may you list down the steps please? I suppose this means going to the cpanel, right?

Thank you once more!

Return to “Installation 1.5”