I need "Directions for a noob" - a fix for "xml returns from server invalid"

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
iWire
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I need "Directions for a noob" - a fix for "xml returns from server invalid"

Post by iWire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 am

Hi.

i have tried to install the 1.5 joomla, 5 times now (Yes the latest nightly build) .

I get the same "xml returns from sever invalid" error every time for FTP Configuration.

I know this must have been asked a hundred times, but unless your a programmer or had a fair bit of time in this industry, finding the latest version of joomla 1.5 is basically harder than finding Saddam Husain's  :P

You programmers have to remember, not every 1 understands the way you all think, some straight forward answers and directions would save your selves and every other noob a lot of time ...

I have spent over 1 week trying to install the latest version of 1.5 but i keep getting the same error.

I have noticed at least a hundred other people are having the same issues, ..

How about pinning a direct method and a direct link to the latest version and a step by step install ..  :pop

PLEASE!!!

Thanks
iWire
Last edited by iWire on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

user deleted

Re: I need "Directions for a noob" - a fix for "xml returns from server invalid

Post by user deleted » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi,

Look at http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/17/60/ for the nightly builds. See if you can install one of those.

thecatwhisperer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thecatwhisperer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:40 pm

No such luck for me, I have the same issue...  I've gotten the nightly & all the tests at the beginning of the install passed.

iWire
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iWire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:27 am

I changed servers and it worked fine for me now.

So there is obvious issue with what ever server I had hosting with..

@ thecatwhisperer : I had the same issue and there was nothing i could do.... sadly it cost me another $80 for hosting but now its all good..

Try the hosting i have just Hooked up with, I know it works with these dudes:  Midphase Hosting

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 am

iWire,

Any chance you could post the system info from the server where you got the error? (Admin > Help > System info.

thecatwhisperer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thecatwhisperer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 am

iWire wrote: I changed servers and it worked fine for me now.

So there is obvious issue with what ever server I had hosting with..

@ thecatwhisperer : I had the same issue and there was nothing i could do.... sadly it cost me another $80 for hosting but now its all good..

Try the hosting i have just Hooked up with, I know it works with these dudes:  Midphase Hosting
Yeah, I really don't think it is the hosting service, it *might* be a config issue, but I'm more apt to believe it is an issue with Joomla, not the host.  Like i said it took me maybe 2 minutes to get wordpress up & running and my old data ingest took another 2-3 minutes.

I'm looking for logs now from the install, but I'm not really sure where to look, as the install never completes (I always cancel it when it is unable to access both FTP & sample data ingest... I'll try it again tho.. maybe 6th time will be the charm ;) )

PS (offtopic): $80 for hosting?  really?  I pay $10/month for 1.5gb, 15gb traffic & my own virtual server. (ie: i can install pretty much anything i want inside the memory/space/process limits...

As well, eApps (my host) has pretty extensive support, one i KNOW for sure that it is a config issue and not a bug in the Joomla beta, I'm pretty sure they'll fix it.  The company I work for uses their hosting/virtual server services, and I've worked with their support on many occasions, they don't care how big or small you are, you just get the support yon need.

Anyway, If i can find some error messages, I'll post them.  I'll also dig up the system specs/versions.

PS: I realize this is a beta, and thank the team for working to try and get this all fixed for us!

thecatwhisperer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thecatwhisperer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Ok... here's what i've got:

Apache 2.0.52
- mod_php 5.2.0
mySQL 5.0.27

Still no luck on finding logs... will contact my host's support.

amitos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amitos » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:03 pm

This is a known bug and has nothing to do with the server.  When installing 1.5, the default database table_prefix is 'jos_'.  If you choose to use a different prefix, you might get an error installing the sample data.

Workaround:
Before installing, modify the sample data file: "installation/sql/mysql/sample_data.sql", replace all instances of "jos_" with the table_prefix you chose.  save the file, and initiate the installation.  I hope this will work for you.

thecatwhisperer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thecatwhisperer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Um, I used the default prefix for every try.  Sorry, this is not the issue I`m experiencing.

thecatwhisperer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thecatwhisperer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:18 am

Found what i was doing wrong....  With wordpres and otehr apps, you often copy the default config & use it as your own...

so i used teh following comamnd when it complained it couldn't write the config.php: "

Code: Select all

cp configuration.php-dist configuration.php
" then went along with my install... as it was trying to use the values int eh config file to connect to the joomla-db/ftp server, it failed... every time.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who fell for this ;)

/tcw

sam88
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sam88 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:20 am

I am still facing the same issue. I have a old joomla site running version 1.1. And I want to upgrade to 1.5. Does v1.5 still have this bug?

PS: i tried contacting my host (GigaPros Hosting). but they keep saying that it's a script problem not a server problem. i am stuck. :(

Return to “Installation 1.5”