Cannot log in after 1.5.26 install!

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Sampao
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Cannot log in after 1.5.26 install!

Post by Sampao » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:52 am

Now, I have done this 5 times: I made a clean Joomla 1.5.26 install. I noted my user name and password every time, but can NEVER log in: User name and password don't match. Now this is something nobody would understand! I am totally 100% sure I always noted the correct user names and password. Aother thing:
Before installing, I'm given a user name and a password. I am able to change the password, but not the user name: it's greyeed out. When I installed Joomla!15. the last time about a year ago, both user name and password were: admin and BOTH could be changed before install. This is no longer the case. Can someone enlighten me??
A mod might say: chosse another version, like 2.5 or 3.0. No, I don't want to. I first tried 2.5 and I encountered right in the beginning only problems. I still have three sites running in 1.5 version and I'm happy with those, except of some security concerns.
I'd be happy someone could help me. Thank you!
Last edited by Sampao on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Cannot log in after 1.5.27 install!

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:10 am

Howdy,

At STEP 4 of the installation, Database - Configuration, you have NO choice here to enter a user name, password and database name of your choosing! You MUST use the User Name, Password and Database Name for the DATABASE that your Host provides or that you have already set up in your hosting control panel's database set up. At this STEP, you are entering values that have been set elsewhere.

At STEP 6 of the installation, this is where YOU enter a password for the DEFAULT user admin ... again, in this version of J!, there is NO CHOICE to set the User Name here ... it is admin, lower case :)

Cheers!
Lyle
@snifflevalve

Sampao
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Cannot log in after 1.5.27 install!

Post by Sampao » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 am

Howdy Lyle,

I encounter no steps, although I tick for the demo during installation, Lyle! Since there are NO STEPS at all, I don't encounter any steps 4 or 6. I know this might sound weird to you, but this is what happens. We're both talking about Joomla! 1.5.26, don't we?
I just tried another install. I got the user name given by the system, but changed the password before install, but same: I cannot log in. Not in Firefox, not in Chrome and not in IE. The first time, I asked my browser to remember login details and now in Firefox and Chrome it won't let me log in with a new user name and password.

There is no admin lower case possible anywhere before or after install!

For me this is all like a bad dream! Never had any problem like this last year.
ALso: I am unable to change passwords on my existing sites anymore!

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Cannot log in after 1.5.26 install!

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 am

Yes, I just did a fresh, clean install of 1.5.26 on a local test server and all worked well.

The "steps" should be indicated on the left side of the installation page, numbered 1 through 7; at least they have been there for every 1.5.x install I can recall :)

I take it that you are trying this on a remote, hosted account. Can you log into your hosting control panel's database admin tool (usually phpMyAdmin) and have a look at the jos_users table in the database to see what the username is?

Also, have a look at the following for how to manually reset the admin password:

http://docs.joomla.org/How_you_reset_an ... assword%3F

Hope this helps :)
@snifflevalve

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:40 am

Sounds like you are using a custom installation script provided y your web host and NOT the joomla installation script.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:43 am

Brian - of course :) ... never thought of that as I have never used one ... for this very reason :)
@snifflevalve

Return to “Installation 1.5”