Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
onki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Post by onki » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi

I upgraded from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4 this morning.
Before there was no problem with my content titles.
Now the title is shown double. This only applies to content after clicking on read-more.
The blog view is OK.
In addition also static content shows the title double.
In the general setting the title display is enabled. The content settings are 'use generic setting'.

I am quite sure that this is a Joomla issue since the display was OK before the upgrade.

Best regards

Onki

schutter53
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Post by schutter53 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi,

I noticed the same:
The changes where done in file "default.php" in the directory
"comonents/com_content/views/article/tmpl

the changes are:
<?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_title', 1)) : ?>
<div class="componentheading<?php echo $this->params->get('pageclass_sfx')?>"><?php echo $this->escape($this->params->get('page_title')); ?></div>
<?php endif; ?>

if you delete this you have the old situation,
or in system-paramaters of menu-items switch "show pagetitle" to NO

Hope this helps you

regards,

John

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,

Be sure to read http://www.joomla.org/content/view/5180/1/ before removing any code. There has been a change in the Title feature.

schutter53
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by schutter53 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi,

I agree that it's better not to change the code, but now even in the demo-site there are double-titels on the pages.
I do not know if this is intentional, but it's not so nice to see on the screen.
For the mean time it's perhaps better to use my seconde solution to switch "show pagetitle" to NO in the systemparameters of the menu-items.
Hope somebody can explain me why this is changed.

regards,

John

onki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by onki » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi

The problem with swtiching off the page title in the general configuration is that there are no titles in the blog view.

A solution to get rid of the double page titles is appreciated.

Best regards

Onki

schutter53
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by schutter53 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi,

The switch has to be done in the system-parameters of the menu-item !

eric
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eric » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:41 pm

I don't think that any combination of menu item settings and article settings should result in double titles showing. This must be a bug.

Also, I don't see any way after the update to totally remove an article title. I can choose not to show the article title in both the menu item settings and the article settings, and the title still shows.
Think for yourself, question authority.

schutter53
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by schutter53 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi,

I am also not happy with this new situation. I read the new features they intend to make, and as I read it this is the new way of thinking.
For me it is also a bad change, I have to completely change my settings, to get it as it was before.
As I already wrote also if you choose the demo database, it has double titles.

I hope this can be solved, my remarks are solely a temporary solution !

regards,

John

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm

If you have double titles, go to the menu item for that page and change the "Show Page Title" parameter from Yes to No.

The Joomla! 1.5.4 Release Announcement details the rules used to enforce these two parameters consistently from menu type to menu type. The inconsistencies have been an ongoing problem for many people since 1.5 went final.

Unfortunately, we knew this bug fix would impact some of you who had overcome these bugs. Our concern for those facing this change is the reason we documented it so completely. We do feel bad that it is causing rework. In the future, having these problems resolved and behind us is important.

I know that doesn't help much but I do ask your understanding and support.
Amy

onki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by onki » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi again

I read the intrduction into the page tiutle issue and I (hopefully) understand the problem.

My only problem at the moment is that If I disable the page title view in the general content parameters and enable the page title in the blog view I can see the title of the blog view page (e.G. overview) but I can't see the title of the blog entries. When the general title view in the generic content settings is enabled I can see the titles of the content items in the blog view but if I click on read more of an content item I see the title twice (in two lines). I can't manage to see a single line and see the title in the blog view.
In all of my content items the title view is set to (use generic settings).

How can I manage to see a single title line in the content detail view and in the blog view?

Best regards

Onki

Gedu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gedu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi,

First of all, I have around 120 websites with Joomla 1.5.3 with many many articles.

I've noticed the same problem. If I have a menu element to the article, it works fine except I use a Category list or Section Type at the menu element. When I click on menu element I see a list of the articles. It looks fine but when I click on an article on this list then two title displayed. One in componentheading and one in contentheading and I have no option to turn off the componentheading section. The only one option if I turn off the article title on each article when I don't need it, but I use same articles on different places.

I hope the joomla team will solve this problem soon.

All the best. ;)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:17 pm

I'll try to find time this morning to set up this example and see if I have a suggestion.

Glad to hear you are getting such value out of Joomla!, Gedu. 120 sites is remarkable! If you find a solution that works, please share it, too. The "Joomla! team" is just members of your community trying to find a way to give a little something back.

Amy

eric
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eric » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:34 pm

I read the documentation. I removed my double titles by going into the Article Manager, and changing the Global parameters to Show Article Titles = No.

But what if I want to remove the title from an article? How can that be accomplished? I turned of titles for the article's menu item parameters. I turned off titles in the article's advanced parameters. I turned off titles in the article manager's global parameters. The title for this article still displays on the front end.

It's just a single plain article, and a simple article layout menu item. Any suggestions?

Gedu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gedu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Actually I just handle these sites (extensions, templates, etc...) (I'm a hard worker :D ) these aren't mine.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:20 pm

onki wrote:Hi again

I read the intrduction into the page tiutle issue and I (hopefully) understand the problem.

My only problem at the moment is that If I disable the page title view in the general content parameters and enable the page title in the blog view I can see the title of the blog view page (e.G. overview) but I can't see the title of the blog entries. When the general title view in the generic content settings is enabled I can see the titles of the content items in the blog view but if I click on read more of an content item I see the title twice (in two lines). I can't manage to see a single line and see the title in the blog view.
In all of my content items the title view is set to (use generic settings).

How can I manage to see a single title line in the content detail view and in the blog view?

Best regards

Onki
Onki -

To get rid of the double title - go into your Category Blog Layout menu item and set "Show Page Title" to No.

Then, go back and set "Show Article Title" to Yes in your Article Manager Parameters.

That should take care of your problem. If it doesn't, please share a screen print of your menu item and article configurations, and the blog page and article page. That will be most helpful for debugging.

It it works, please let me know that, as well, since that is also helpful.

Thanks for your patience.
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

eric wrote:I read the documentation. I removed my double titles by going into the Article Manager, and changing the Global parameters to Show Article Titles = No.

But what if I want to remove the title from an article? How can that be accomplished? I turned of titles for the article's menu item parameters. I turned off titles in the article's advanced parameters. I turned off titles in the article manager's global parameters. The title for this article still displays on the front end.

It's just a single plain article, and a simple article layout menu item. Any suggestions?
Eric -

I want to be clear - the documentation did not mention the Article Manager Parameters (Global Parameters), at all.

Also - remember - the page title - and the article title - are two different things. The bug fix did not make any changes to the Article title parameters.

However, to prevent the display of both the page and article title on an Article Layout menu type, follow these steps:

1. Update the menu item for the Article Layout and set "Show Page Title" to No.

2. Edit the article and set the "Show Title" parameter to No. This is how it has always been done.

Hope that helps!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Gedu -

My response to Onki would be the same to you. Please use that response as a guide. If it does not work, please provide the same screen prints I requested of Onki.

Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:37 pm

schutter53 wrote:Hi,

I agree that it's better not to change the code, but now even in the demo-site there are double-titels on the pages.
I do not know if this is intentional, but it's not so nice to see on the screen.
Good catch, John, thanks. We will add this to the tracker and get the menu items fixed in the sample content, too.

eric
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eric » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:09 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Also - remember - the page title - and the article title - are two different things. The bug fix did not make any changes to the Article title parameters.
Ahh, yes, Thank You. This was the source of my confusion. I misunderstood the role of the Page Title because I have never used them.. I just assumed that the Article Title was ALWAYS used as the page title -- and in my case they are, since I have never entered text into the Page Title input box.

Thanks again for clearing this up!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Glad it's working - thanks for reporting back, Eric.

eric
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by eric » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:22 pm

I will say, though, that if I am understanding everything correctly that when using default settings (Article Titles = Yes in global parameters) that creating new menu items will result in having double titles. Parameters in either the Article or the Menu item must be changed in order to avoid double titles.

Does that sound accurate?

DrDigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DrDigital » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Well with all my pages that had double title... I had no menu items that link to the page, I use Popular and Newest to show those articles, and people use the search feature as well as a Sections View and a Category List view. So how do I shut it off for those?
[URL removed]
Last edited by pe7er on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: self promotion is not allowed

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:20 pm

I think it would just be easier if you have sections with out menu links, to make a hidden menu of section links so they DO have menu link.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Elin already addressed this, but I'm going to go ahead and post this.
DrDigital wrote:Well with all my pages that had double title... I had no menu items that link to the page, I use Popular and Newest to show those articles, and people use the search feature as well as a Sections View and a Category List view. So how do I shut it off for those? I cant Shows how they got ride of the double titles.
I invited the individual from that site to this thread when he filed a Tracker item. Hopefully, he will join us, soon.

If you use Global Article Preferences to turn off all of your article titles then you will never have article titles - unless you are willing to go into each article and add a parameter to show article titles for each article that you wish to view them on (in which case - you are back to where you started, right? )

Take time to read the release notes which describe how to change your menu items.

It is never a good idea to use a component without a menu item. If you are doing that, then, you get whatever defaults Joomla! has to offer. You will also have problems with breadcrumbs - ability to decide what modules are shown, etc. Menu items are key to Joomla! and trying to get around them has brought hair loss and ulcers to countless members of this community for years. It gets into the ItemID issues that sometimes have plagued us.

Create a menu item and set up the parameters the way you want it. Then, it will behave as you wish it too. You do not have to add the menu to your template. It doesn't ever have to be visible. But, having a menu item allows you to choose parameters.

Hope that helps!

Please don't self-promote and pretend it's not your site.

DrDigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DrDigital » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 pm

I am that person, and I do have Titles showing, Go look at the site. I turn it back on and the titles double up again

DrDigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DrDigital » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Also, I did read the release notes, I read them twice before I even downloaded the 1.5.4 patch, going into each article and telling it No for Page titles works.... But wait, I have 400 articles I need to go do this to them all when I had page titles set in my global config.... That be a PITA. I went into the Article Parameters and selected no and the problem went away. I had 5 other people ask in the irc channel #joomla on irc.freenode.net my solution fixed their site, my solution fixed my sites and I am being told I am wrong?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:55 pm

eric wrote:I will say, though, that if I am understanding everything correctly that when using default settings (Article Titles = Yes in global parameters) that creating new menu items will result in having double titles. Parameters in either the Article or the Menu item must be changed in order to avoid double titles.

Does that sound accurate?
Eric -

That's a good point - we should probably review the default values for each of the menu items - along with looking at the example content.

Maybe you'd like to join the Bug Squad? Give it some thought.

Thanks.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:02 pm

DrDigital wrote:Also, I did read the release notes, I read them twice before I even downloaded the 1.5.4 patch, going into each article and telling it No for Page titles works.... But wait, I have 400 articles I need to go do this to them all when I had page titles set in my global config.... That be a PITA. I went into the Article Parameters and selected no and the problem went away. I had 5 other people ask in the irc channel #joomla on irc.freenode.net my solution fixed their site, my solution fixed my sites and I am being told I am wrong?
I would repeat the solution that Elin and I both provided - but what are the chances you might read it, this time?

Go ahead and read our responses to your approach. Try the advice given you. Then, respond if that doesn't work.

In the future, please, share your ideas - I'm certain you have some great advice. But, don't self promote and act like it's someone else's site. That's just kind of crummy.

Thank you,
Amy

DrDigital
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DrDigital » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:19 pm

1. The site isnt just mine, It belongs to several people that help put the content together.

2. I read what others said, yeah some of it works, but you have to go into every article and change from global to no, I have 400 articles it take hours.

I am getting told my solution is wrong when it worked for me and 5 other people that I am aware of yet I am wrong? Almost every problem has more then 1 solution.

But I guess it make everyone happy if I changed my solution to your solution and went and had everyone that has access to just go in and manually change every single article in the system to get ride of the double content titles and in an hour or two we would have the entire site redone. Vs a 20 second fix

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 pm

DrDigital wrote:1. The site isnt just mine, It belongs to several people that help put the content together.

2. I read what others said, yeah some of it works, but you have to go into every article and change from global to no, I have 400 articles it take hours.

I am getting told my solution is wrong when it worked for me and 5 other people that I am aware of yet I am wrong? Almost every problem has more then 1 solution.

But I guess it make everyone happy if I changed my solution to your solution and went and had everyone that has access to just go in and manually change every single article in the system to get ride of the double content titles and in an hour or two we would have the entire site redone. Vs a 20 second fix
Linking to an article you wrote is self promotion.
Giving a link and saying (this link) "Shows how they got ride of the double titles." is pretending it's not your article.
Going on and on and on about it, instead of simply recognizing the rules and perhaps apologizing, is getting annoying.

No where does Elin's suggestion, my suggestion, or the release notes suggest you change the parameters for an article. I do not know where you are getting that idea.

The thing is this - when you turn "Show Article Title" off in your Article Manager Parameters - then, Joomla! doesn't print an article title on the article page. If it works for you, that's fine. But, most people want article titles.

Again, read the information and give it a try. It might work. ;)
Amy

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”