Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
masteryoda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Post by masteryoda » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:07 pm

i create a directory named com_content under my templates html folder, then creat article folder under com_content and put default.php under article, i have set chmod 755 for folders and 644 for files..
content titles still there :(
Lord of Opportunity

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Try using the default.php file from Joomla! 1.5.3

Put it here:

Code: Select all

templates
 |-- yourtemplatefolder
       |-- html
            |-- com_content
                  |-- article
                         |-- default.php
You'll have to rename the attached file from default.txt to default.php.

That will restore the old method.

Thanks...Amy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

masteryoda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by masteryoda » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:32 pm

:) :) its ok now , thanks amy
1.5.3 working fine ,

will i have to remove this file after upgrading to 1.5.5 when available ??
Lord of Opportunity

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi all,

After noticing the double titles after upgrading, a quick search produced this topic and as usual I am amazed at the incredible community here at Joomla!

I have changed all my menu items in parameters(system) to "show page title" NO and the double titles have gone... This has fixed the issue in section blog layout and category list layout as these are the ones I use...

Took 10 minutes.... The release notes explain it very well... (Now that I have read them :) )

It does appear that it would be better if this parameter was defaulted to "NO" though...

Clive

zero118
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zero118 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:15 pm

I think at the very least they could make a note that you will have to make this one change if you upgrade. That way people don't have to come here looking for the problem.

wildside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wildside » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 pm

An in depth note is there with the release notes on page three
http://www.joomla.org/content/view/5180/1/1/2/

Anyone who has searched for a solution to the "welcome to the frontpage" thing should be familiar with this parameter...

Me? I had forgotten and I didn't read the release notes before I upgraded... lesson learned I think :)

Clive

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Clive - Thanks for the encouraging words and helping others find the information.

masteryoda - first of all, when we have a good handle on "what's next", we will notify this thread -- but also we will explain what to do in the release notes. We will continue trying to use that to help improve communication. Glad you are back to okay.

Thanks for the patience, all.
Amy :)

cigdangle
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cigdangle » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:48 am

AmyStephen wrote: masteryoda - first of all, when we have a good handle on "what's next", we will notify this thread -- but also we will explain what to do in the release notes. We will continue trying to use that to help improve communication. Glad you are back to okay.
Amy:

Thank you. This method also worked for me Thanks! I will be sure to watch the thread!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:45 am

I suggest a change in 1.5.5 to default menu item page titles to "No".
/administrator/components/com_menus/models/metadata/component.xml

<param name="show_page_title" type="radio" default="0" label="Show Page Title" description="SHOW/HIDE THE PAGES TITLE">
<option value="0">No</option>
<option value="1">Yes</option>
</param>
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

the_jackal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by the_jackal » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:26 am

I agree with JM. Good hint! ;)
Tibor Tóth - Slovak & Hungarian Forum Moderator
Joomla! User Association Hungary - http://www.joomla.org.hu
Joomla! Slovakia - Community & Support - http://www.joomla.sk

Quick_silver
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Quick_silver » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:33 pm

I Changed line 6 in default.php to:

<?php if (!$this->params->get('show_page_title', 1)) : ?>
Works fine!

jnodwell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jnodwell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:32 pm

I've read the release notes, and this thread, twice over. I'm still a bit befuddled about article titles. It seems my options are to display it twice or not at all.

On the main menu, I have an item that is a category blog layout, when I click that link, I see the breadcrumb, the category title, and the page/article title. All is well. If I click the read more to go to just the article's page, then I see breadcrumbs, page title 1, page title 2.

Case Show Page Title in menu item=NO and article=YES
If I go into my menu settings, find this category blog layout menu item, set Parameters (Component) Show Article Title to no, then when I click the main menu link to the category blog layout, I still see the article title (all good), but I still see 2 titles when I click read more to view the entire article.

Case Show Page Title in menu item=NO and article=NO
Now, the page title does not appear on the category blog layout, which is bad, but it appears once on the article page (in page title 1 spot e.g. what was the category name position on the previous page).

Case Show Page Title in menu item=YES and article=NO
Now, the page title does not appear on the category blog layout (still bad and a bit misleading given the YES), and it still appears once on the article page (page title 1 spot).

Case Show Page Title in menu item=YES and article=YES
Shows page title on category blog layout but back to two article titles on the article page

I must have missed something somewhere along the way, but I can't live with no titles on the blog layout pages because then the articles are just text blocks with no interesting larger/colored title bits to break up the eye strain, and I can't live with two titles on the article pages, especially when I turn on breadcrumbs and see the same thing spit out 3 times in succession there at the top of the page.

If someone would please advise what I should be doing properly, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

jnodwell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jnodwell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 pm

AmyStephen wrote:Try using the default.php file from Joomla! 1.5.3

Put it here:

templates
 |-- yourtemplatefolder
       |-- html
            |-- com_content
                  |-- article
                         |-- default.php

Interesting ... my template did not have a com_content/article/default.php so I copied over the one from ja_purity.
After editing out one line of code in there at the top, it works now as expected. Not sure this was the right fix, but better mod'ing template code than core code any day, and now I see article titles where and when I expect to.

Lines 12-22: added // in line 19 to NOT echo $this->article->title (it's already spit out once anyhow up in line 4)

<?php if ($this->params->get('show_title',1)) : ?>
<h2 class="contentheading<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
	<?php if ($this->params->get('link_titles') && $this->article->readmore_link != '') : ?>
	<a href="<?php echo $this->article->readmore_link; ?>" class="contentpagetitle<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
		<?php echo $this->escape($this->article->title); ?>
	</a>
	<?php else : ?>
		<?php //echo $this->article->title; ?>
	<?php endif; ?>
</h2>
<?php endif; ?>
http://nodwell.net
http://cjeweb.com
Custom Web Development & Joomla! Templates

Shakty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shakty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:02 am

jnodwell - your method did not work - the only difference I noticed was in the page itself - the article title did not appear even when switched on in the article parameters.

I think I have found a private case of this situation - maybe it will help with the solution - I too get double titles but not category or section & article - but site title from the global configuration.
I have mo sections or categories - all my articles are uncategorized.
I tried all solution proposed here - none worked - the site name always appeared in the page title.

10x for the joint effort on this.

jsanglier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jsanglier » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Okay, using the old 1.5.3 default from Amy worked fine

Using Tibor's default didn't.

This may be because I am using a custom template with very little css and very little anything else! hehe

However, there seem to be two ongoing issues:

1. The default for setting the Show Title Parameter in menu item needs to be changed to NO.

2. This does not solve the issue for existing articles which will have this set to yes. If you have a very complex and deep menu system (lots of linked articles) then this could be a problem

The only way round for this I can think of is putting in a check for displaying articles that says "if the title field (the show title field in the system parameters) is empty, then the show title value must be no. If the title field has a value, then the show title value should be as set."

However, this adds more code, which I never like.

Other than that, all I can think of is creating a one off tool that lists all menu items in alphabetical order and their "Show title" parameter status using check boxes and that title field. You can then run down the lot, changing as needed and then save the whole lot in one go.

Either way, I now have a headache!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 pm

jsanglier - and others -

Prior to this change, page titles did not print on the article page. Article titles printed, of course, if you didn't turn article titles off.

Is there ever a case where one might want to have a page title available for an Article Layout? (Note: I am not asking about article titles.)

Would appreciate some input from people on this.

Thanks!

Shakty - try this idea - it restores 1.5.3 functionality to your article layout. It should work.

jnodwell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jnodwell » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Shakty wrote:jnodwell - your method did not work - the only difference I noticed was in the page itself - the article title did not appear even when switched on in the article parameters.

I think I have found a private case of this situation - maybe it will help with the solution - I too get double titles but not category or section & article - but site title from the global configuration.
I have mo sections or categories - all my articles are uncategorized.
I tried all solution proposed here - none worked - the site name always appeared in the page title.

10x for the joint effort on this.
It worked for me ;)

Does your template have a /yourtemplate/html/com_content/article/default.php file? My solution only works if there is such a file in the template being used for the site. Now, my menu items are set to show article title, my articles are set to show article title, and I have only one article title per article page. I'm ecstatic at this point, really. (haha)

All I had to do was copy the default.php from ja_purity to my template's dirtree, and then comment out line 19. <pre><?php //echo $this->article->title; ?></pre>

This has worked for me on three sites.

If I'm understanding correctly, when default.php processes, it first shows the "page_title" and then shows the "article title". Since it is an article page, the page title is the article title. When the same logic is used on a category/section page, the "page_title" is different from the "article title" because one shows the category/section name, and the other shows the article's title. My fix is a hack, to be sure, as I didn't take the time to account for linked titles, since I always have that on No.

Your seeing double SITE titles is another matter entirely. On what pages does that occur? Front Page, Category Page, Section, Article? What template are you using? The site title isn't printed anywhere near the snippet of code I'm referencing.

jnodwell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jnodwell » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:19 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Is there ever a case where one might want to have a page title available for an Article Layout? (Note: I am not asking about article titles.)

Would appreciate some input from people on this.

Thanks!
Are "page titles" the bit that displays in the browser window frame? If so, then in the case of an article page, the "page title" is pretty much going to be the same as the article title always, isn't it? Then, I can't think of a case where one might want a page title and an article title in the same page.

..... sorry if I'm a bit confused - I'm a true Joomla! newbie - using it for 5 days so far now (though I've been a large-scale systems developer nearly 20 years)

jsanglier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jsanglier » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:08 pm

AmyStephen wrote:jsanglier - and others -

Is there ever a case where one might want to have a page title available for an Article Layout? (Note: I am not asking about article titles.)
Actually, I have always been a bit puzzled by this functionality.

The only reason I can see is if you wished a different title for your article than the one it comes with - the one you originally gave it.

How it is titled for menu purposes is already catered for and is mandatory.

Display wise, it is natural to assume that unless otherwise dictated it is displayed with its given title.

The extra functionality under server parameters seems a but out of place - maybe that is part of the problem, it is not displayed in the right area and therefore it is confusing to use.

Joomla is at its best when it is intuitive and not reliant on understanding some complex background process. Maybe what needs to be done (and this may be a bit radical) is to promote this particular functionality to the top left of the menu item creation form. So you would have

Menu Item Title - input field
Alias - input field
Page title - Field (leave blank if you wish to use the default page title or the pages' set parameters)
Page Title functionality - drop down: Use for browser title, Use for browser + article title (replaces article title), Dont use

Something like that. Getting that layout right would probably explain the functionality, if you see what I mean.

Amy, what was the original thought process behind this additional page title functionality? Was it for when linking to things that might not have an automatic page title? Like a component. Maybe is should not be used for articles at all, or at least be disabled by default.

Shakty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Shakty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 pm

jnodwell wrote: All I had to do was copy the default.php from ja_purity to my template's dirtree, and then comment out line 19. <pre><?php //echo $this->article->title; ?></pre>
jnodwell I also use a template override in both article view and frontpage view - this is how the tite section of the article view looks like :

<table class="contentpaneopen<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
<tr>
	<?php if ($this->params->get('show_title')) : ?>
	<td width="100%"><h1 class="contentheading<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
		<?php if ($this->params->get('link_titles') && $this->article->readmore_link != '') : ?>
		<a href="<?php echo $this->article->readmore_link; ?>" class="contentpagetitle<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
			<?php echo $this->escape($this->article->title); ?></a>
		<?php endif; ?>
	</h1></td>
	<?php endif; ?>
	</tr>
</table>
so my code looks different, can you show me where to change in my code ?

10x, Amir

jnodwell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jnodwell » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Shakty wrote: jnodwell I also use a template override in both article view and frontpage view - this is how the tite section of the article view looks like :

<table class="contentpaneopen<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
<tr>
	<td width="100%"><h1 class="contentheading<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>">
		<?php endif; ?>
	</h1></td>
	<?php endif; ?>
	</tr>
</table>
so my code looks different, can you show me where to change in my code ?

10x, Amir
Assuming that you took this code from your /templates/<your_template>/html/article/default.php and just a bit above that code you have a line that looks like:

<?php echo $this->escape($this->params->get('page_title')); ?>
then you want to just comment out the one line in your code from above (line 9 above ) as below (by inserting // between the "php" and the "echo".

<tr>
			<?php // echo $this->escape($this->article->title); ?>
		<?php endif; ?>
	</h1></td>
	<?php endif; ?>
	</tr>
</table>
The article page will show the "page_title" and also the article->title, but those things are identical in the case of an article page, so you want to eliminate one of them.

kevincam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kevincam » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

I tried this but mine still shows the title and it's set to "No" is that the correct default.php file to use? Ok, I used the original from 1.5.3 Thanks All working. Great method.

propedeutique
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by propedeutique » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:06 am

Hi,
When looking at the spreadsheet displaying the behaviour of title in all kind of components, I have seen that it is not possible to publish an article without a title.
Wanting to get rid of any "automatic" title, the only solution I found was to put in template.css, under the componenheading class

componentheading {
display:none;
}

if it can help.
Bye
Propedeutique

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:11 pm

Of course it is possible to publish an article without a title.

1. If you have an individual article link, turn off show page title.
2. If you are worried about drill down do the template over ride described in this thread.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

propedeutique
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by propedeutique » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi,
A comment to your explanations, I have set the parameters like below :
- the default parameter for article setup is : show title : no
- in the article, show title= no
- in the menu name for the article : show title : no. With a blank field for the title...
On Joomla 1.5.4 (not anymore in 1.5.3 which was fine...)
And all titles show up!!!

Bye
mcsmom wrote:Of course it is possible to publish an article without a title.

2. If you are worried about drill down do the template over ride described in this thread.
Propedeutique

aa8206
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aa8206 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:58 pm

AmyStephen wrote:It sounds like the same problem. The article layout we know is not working correctly.

Try Tibor's solution- a couple of posts up. It will completely resolve this problem while you wait for the permanent fix.

Thanks for reporting this and to all of you for your support and patience.
not working with me :'(

jsanglier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jsanglier » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Use Tibors solution, but use the default file posted by Amy a couple of posts later. That seems to have a much better success rate!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:31 am

propedeutique wrote:Hi,
A comment to your explanations, I have set the parameters like below :
- the default parameter for article setup is : show title : no
- in the article, show title= no
- in the menu name for the article : show title : no. With a blank field for the title...
On Joomla 1.5.4 (not anymore in 1.5.3 which was fine...)
And all titles show up!!!

Bye
mcsmom wrote:Of course it is possible to publish an article without a title.

The issue here is with show page title, not show article title. There are two separate titles. For show page title, you must go to the menu link under the parameters (system) tab.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

bergmannn
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by bergmannn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm

AmyStephen wrote:Try using the default.php file from Joomla! 1.5.3

This is working also for me! Many thank's for this help :D

Regards
Martin Bergmann

sp00n
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sp00n » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:41 pm

mcsmom wrote:The issue here is with show page title, not show article title. There are two separate titles. For show page title, you must go to the menu link under the parameters (system) tab.
Please give this (wo)man a medal, these are seperate entities indeed! It's actually working as supposed in 1.5.4 ;)

Thanks for pointing it out.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”