Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
aa8206
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Double Content titles after upgrade from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

Post by aa8206 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 am

schutter53 wrote:Hi,

I noticed the same:
The changes where done in file "default.php" in the directory
"comonents/com_content/views/article/tmpl

the changes are:
<?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_title', 1)) : ?>
<div class="componentheading<?php echo $this->params->get('pageclass_sfx')?>"><?php echo $this->escape($this->params->get('page_title')); ?></div>
<?php endif; ?>

if you delete this you have the old situation,
or in system-paramaters of menu-items switch "show pagetitle" to NO

Hope this helps you

regards,

John
I tried all solutions mentioned here
only yours worked out 100 %

thanks a lot 8)
Last edited by aa8206 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 am

You can do that, but it's better to do it with an over ride than to hack the core.

Also you can test the patch that is posted in the tracker.

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=11717
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

kooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kooza » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:07 am

What if I have a link pointing to a section which links to a category which then links to an article and I want the page title to appear on the section page, the category page but not on the article page?

home page -> section -> category -> article

Because the only link I have in my menu is the one to the section and that's the only place I can go in to switch off the page title for the article but that also results in the page title for the section and the category being switched off too which I don't want.

This seems way to obvious so I am probably missing something here but don't we just need the option in the Article Manager settings to switch off page title as well as article title?

Sorry if I am repeating what has already been asked/answered

Mike.

camelgrass
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by camelgrass » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 am

mcsmom wrote:You can do that, but it's better to do it with an over ride than to hack the core.

Also you can test the patch that is posted in the tracker.

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=11717
How do you apply the patch?

Thank you!

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:06 am

Hi camelgrass, see http://developer.joomla.org/bug-squad-b ... tches.html for some basic info on patch files.

camelgrass
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by camelgrass » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks Rob!

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Ouch... my head hurts from reading this thread several times and I'm STILL not sure I understand it properly. And I've read all the release notes, I promise!

I've got a 1.5.4 site on a holding page at http://www.davidboggitt.com/

The Global Configuration for 'Show Article TItle' is set to on.

If you click on the 'Sponsorship' menu link (which is a Category List Layout) then you get a title of Sponsorship Options - turned on in Parameters (System) - and it also appears on the two article pages that are linked to from this Category List.

However, if you go directly to the sponsorship page from one of the drop-down menu items then obviously (I guess!!) the 'Sponsorship Options' title isn't there. Is there any way to avoid this inconsistency?

I could, I suppose, ignore the drop-down menus completely, but I would rather know how to nail this problem and get some consistency on the pages for future sites.

Please... some help someone and stop my head from hurting!!

Thanks,

Dave.
My website: http://www.davidboggitt.com/
Love and hate both devastate you, but at least love takes you to dinner first.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm

DavidBoggitt wrote:Ouch... my head hurts from reading this thread several times and I'm STILL not sure I understand it properly. And I've read all the release notes, I promise!

I've got a 1.5.4 site on a holding page at http://www.davidboggitt.com/

The Global Configuration for 'Show Article TItle' is set to on.

If you click on the 'Sponsorship' menu link (which is a Category List Layout) then you get a title of Sponsorship Options - turned on in Parameters (System) - and it also appears on the two article pages that are linked to from this Category List.

However, if you go directly to the sponsorship page from one of the drop-down menu items then obviously (I guess!!) the 'Sponsorship Options' title isn't there. Is there any way to avoid this inconsistency?

I could, I suppose, ignore the drop-down menus completely, but I would rather know how to nail this problem and get some consistency on the pages for future sites.

Please... some help someone and stop my head from hurting!!

Thanks,

Dave.
We have a solution, and are planning on releasing 1.5.5 shortly. I'm gonig to blog about it tonight, and will link to it here.
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks! Anyone got a headache tablet? :D

alexwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexwai » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:22 am

AmyStephen wrote:Try using the default.php file from Joomla! 1.5.3

Put it here:

Code: Select all

templates
 |-- yourtemplatefolder
       |-- html
            |-- com_content
                  |-- article
                         |-- default.php
You'll have to rename the attached file from default.txt to default.php.

That will restore the old method.

Thanks...Amy :)
:) :) Thanks Amy, 1.5.3 work well with all my content layout
Alex Wai

smartweb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by smartweb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Oliver23's solutions of changing your templates CSS file is the simplest solutions and it works.
Change your .componentheading to :

.componentheading {
display: none;
}

Kenya

jsanglier
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jsanglier » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:25 pm

I have to point out that changing your style sheet is ill advised. Some templates will use the componentheading style in other places too, so you will be mucking those up. And where you DO want your component to have a heading you are stuffed.

Amy's solution a couple of posts up takes 2 minutes to do via FTP, and will be instantly reversible when 1.5.5 comes out shortly.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:43 pm

First, I want to say thank you to DrDigital who recognized the Double Titles problem and reported it on the Tracker. Unfortunately, it took me a day to listen (yes, listening is an area where I have an opportunity for improvement :P ) and understand what he was seeing and that is unfortunate. DrDigital - thank you for recognizing and reporting this problem and hanging in there until it was understood.

Now, I want to share a sketch of "the fix" with this thread to double check that we are back on track.

The Menu Item Parameter "Show Page Title" will continue to default to Yes.

Many of us have suggested changing the default Show Page Title value to No might help resolve this problem. And, while that will help prevent problems for Article Layouts, it also means the default is No for Category Blog Layouts, Section List Layouts, Web Links, and Contact Lists, etc. Since most people want a Page Title on Blog layouts, changing the default is probably not a good idea.

Page Titles will not display on the Article Layout if the page isn't an Article Layout Menu Type.

So, no more Category Blog Page Titles when you click the Read more... link on a Category Blog Layout, for example. The same is true if you click an Article link in a Section List. In those cases, the Page Title will not be displayed.

Page Titles will print on the Article Layout page IF these three things are true:

The Article Layout is displayed by an Article Layout Menu Type.

And, there you entered a value in the "Page Title" parameter text box for the menu item.

And, the "Show Page Title" parameter value is Yes.

Yes, we've tested the heck out of this! If you want to test, that would rock!

Combined, this prevents unintended double titles on the Article Layout. In essence, these three criteria also create that default of No we all want on Article Layout pages and still leaves the default of Yes for our blogs and lists.

If you want to test the patch Elin shared, use those instructions linked to by Robin. As Anthony indicated, we are hoping to release in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned to the front page. We'll probably bump this thread, too, provided one of us remembers it in the flurry of the release.

You guys have been remarkable. In my experience, this has been the most patient and positive response to a problem in Joomla! and that means a lot to us. Now, during this issue, if any of you found yourselves thinking, man, it would be fun to smash bugs with the Bug Squad, then, let us know! We are always interested in people who enjoy that kind of involvement.

Thanks again,
Amy :)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:15 pm

There are still some issues here.
Not concerning the display itself of the Page Title, but concerning the content of what is displayed when set to "Show".

1.For a Frontpage component menu item where Page title field is left blank and Page title set to "Show":
instead of displaying the Menu Title (as stated by the overlib), it displays the site title over the FrontPage blog

2. In the case of an ordinary Blog Category menu item, where Page title field is left blank and set to "Show"
it displays the category name instead of the menu title.

3. Same issue with Blog Section Menu Item where the section name is displayed instead of the Menu Item Title

I guess this is not intended behaviour and could be solved at the same time as the double title issue.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:54 pm

JM -

Each of those are examples of how Joomla! is intended to work. Those are exactly the types of consistencies now present in the application. I'll address each one by sharing the Release notes section that covered it.
infograf768 wrote:There are still some issues here.
Not concerning the display itself of the Page Title, but concerning the content of what is displayed when set to "Show".

1.For a Frontpage component menu item where Page title field is left blank and Page title set to "Show":
instead of displaying the Menu Title (as stated by the overlib), it displays the site title over the FrontPage blog
Yes. This is intended behavior. Following is from the 1.5.4 release notes:
When the menu item does not require specific content and there is no Page Title parameter value, the value used as page title depends on the menu type, as listed below:

* Archived Article List - the word "Archives"
* Article Submission - the phrase "Submit an Article"
* Front Page Blog Layout - the site name, as specified in the Global Configuration
* Newsfeeds Category List Layout - the word "Newsfeeds", as pictured above
* Web Links Category List Layout - the phrase "Web Links"
* Web Links Submission - the phrase "Submit a Web Link"
* Search - the word "Search"
* User menu types - text reflective of the purpose of the form, including "Login", "Registration", "Forget your username?", "Forget your password", and "Edit your details"
* Wrapper - the Menu Item Title value
infograf768 wrote: 2. In the case of an ordinary Blog Category menu item, where Page title field is left blank and set to "Show"
it displays the category name instead of the menu title.
Yes, this is also intended behavior, as documented in the 1.5.4 release notes
Rule 2 - If no value has been provided for the Page Title parameter and the menu type requires selected content, then the name of that content is used as the page title.

If you do not provide a value for the Page Title parameter, then the value used for page title depends on whether or not the menu item displays selected content. For those menu items where content must be selected, Joomla! uses the name of the content selected as the page title.

For example, if the menu type is an Article Layout, and no value has been provided for the Page Title parameter, then the name of the selected article is used for the page title. The example pictured above highlights this rule for the "Joomla! Overview" article. The same type of logic is used if the menu type is a Category Blog Layout and no value has been provided for Page Title parameter. In that case, the name of the selected Category is used for the page title.

This rule is now consistently applied to all menu types that require specific content, including Articles, Newsfeeds, Polls, Web Links, and so on.
infograf768 wrote: 3. Same issue with Blog Section Menu Item where the section name is displayed instead of the Menu Item Title

I guess this is not intended behaviour and could be solved at the same time as the double title issue.
Yes, JM, this is intended behavior. This example is addressed by the previous rule. You are finding that consistency now implemented in Joomla!.

Please, everyone, take time to read those release notes closely. We are trying to enhance the quality of information in the Release Notes and it's well worth the time to study. I do realize this topic is a dry, but, it's helpful to read. We'll keep trying to use that resource as an opportunity to communicate change.

It would also be great if people would also take time to test the patch, please. Take time to learn how to test patches and try to swing by the tracker a few hours each month and start testing! JM is a great tester. Everyone's involvement is needed and helps improve Joomla!.

Thanks!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:03 pm

I did not mean to say that it was not intended code behaviour.
I thought I made clear that the overlib was wrong when it states that it will use the menu item title when the field is blank.

The problem is that the overlib is only present in component.xml and can't adapt as is to the different cases of figure.
--------
Edit: language to make it clearer
Last edited by infograf768 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:09 pm

To be clearer this is the ini content:
PARAMPAGETITLE=Text to display as the Page title. If left blank, the Menu title will be used instead.

EDIT: this string is also used in
/components/com_user/views/login/tmpl/default.xml
where it also gives a wrong tip as in this case the page title is "Login" when field is blank, instead of the menu title.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:50 pm

JM -

I am swamped right now. We are trying to finalize testing on several issues and I also have some writing to do for the Communications Team. Would you please add a comment to this Double Titles issue that the overlib literal is wrong? I would very much appreciate it. Also, if there is better wording for the User Login, I recommend a new issue report on the tracker.

Thank you for always watching over Joomla! - I appreciate your dedication.

I noticed a few of you are figuring out how to apply the patch and have been testing :D ! Thanks so much! I encourage others who want to give it a try to do so. It's kind of fun! Use the links to instructions to get started and the location of the patch from my post above.

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:25 am

Hope this isn't a silly question: if the patch is applied now, will it have to be removed when 1.5.5 comes out, or will 1.5.5 write over the changed files?

Thanks,

Dave.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:39 am

Comment and Artifact added.
DavidBoggitt wrote:Hope this isn't a silly question: if the patch is applied now, will it have to be removed when 1.5.5 comes out, or will 1.5.5 write over the changed files?

Thanks,

Dave.
No need to remove.

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:32 am

Thank-you. I'll give it a try!

DavidBoggitt
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by DavidBoggitt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 am

Apologies... one more question: will this patch be incorporated into 1.5.5 and therefore only needs applying to those sites installed using 1.5.4?

Thanks again for your patience.

Dave.

P.S. It worked brilliantly - thanks!
P.P.S. Does the current version of 1.5.4 have the patch included in it?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes, it will be in 1.5.5. No it is not in 1.5.4, the content of a release doesn't change.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

BytheBy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BytheBy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:09 am

AmyStephen wrote: <Snip!>
If you want to test the patch Elin shared, use those instructions linked to by Robin. As Anthony indicated, we are hoping to release in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned to the front page. We'll probably bump this thread, too, provided one of us remembers it in the flurry of the release.

<snip!>
Thanks Amy, the patch works here too. I'm using the template jsn_epic_free

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:35 am

It is frustrating to see that the problem of the wrong overlib/tip has been solved this way, and this without debate/explanation on the tracker :(

We now have for all menus this tip:
PARAMPAGETITLE=Text to display as the Page title. If left blank, a default title will be used instead.

And the online help is no use as it states:
Show Page Title. Whether or not to display the Page Title. If this is set to Yes, then a Page Title will display on the page above the first Article. The title that displays will either be the Page Title set in Parameters - System above, if entered, or the Menu Item Title (if the Page Title is blank). Note that this does not work on the Article, Section Table, and Category Table layouts.
or
Login Page Title. Title to display as the Page Title. If blank, the Title of the Menu Item will be used.
Tips and help are supposed to help the user understand what a specific parameter means precisely without searching the web for it or testing what is precisely a "default" title in this case.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:18 am

I'm sure the doc team will take corrections to the help screens from you.

Also, you are welcome to provide a patch that adds each of the 25 individual strings.

andria
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andria » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 am

thx tibor!

i was in the middle of creating a new custom template and since i am yet to get familiar with 1.5 (using joomla 1.0.x since 6 months) at first it was of no importance that i was getting double titles. eventually, i was at the point where i wanted tu edit content, so i went for the settings. after 2 hours of messing around with parameters i figured out it´s not up to me... and google brought me quite fast to this thread.

in the course of my humble joomla 1.5 experince, i have already had first steps in using the html possibility, so it was nothing new for me and quite easy to install. i think tibor´s solution is brilliant!

what worries me, is that people are suggesting and also using the other method - turning the display of componentheading to "none". it is rather a barbarian method. and somewhat irresponsible to post that solution. it will work for people who dont use componentheading anyway, but think about other people who are using this? that would lead them into dark.

i dont want to waste forum´s space and readers´ time, but i am really concerned about all other people installing this update and than having to fight with this issue at their sites. and all that for several weeks until 1.5.5 is ready! how many installations/updates is that going to be? 15-20 thousand?

if i am not wrong, you could implement tibor´s solution into the current 1.5.4 release? it would than be 1.5.4 with a partial downgrade to 1.5.3 in it. from developers´point of view, this might be a rather dirty solution, but imagine how much confusion it is going to cause, how many hours are going to be wasted until 1.5.5 is out?

why not 1.5.4b instead?

my 5 cents,
best regards!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:27 am

I agree - Tibor rocks! We were feeling pretty discouraged on the squad and having Tibor step up like that was very heartwarming.

FYI. :D

andria
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andria » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:44 am

cool, the code got frozen!
have a look at this, people are turning the titles off :( such a sad solution. since the title of an article in most cases becomes the page title it is quite essential to keep that one up. not to mention the SEO damage done by turning the title off :(

http://www.joomlamafia.com/guides-for-j ... itles.html

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:56 am

Hang in there, Andria! I think we're going to make it through this one. 8)

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”