[solved]a 404 in Firefox but perfect in IE 6

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
daflye
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [solved]a 404 in Firefox but perfect in IE 6

Post by daflye » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:10 am

Problem solved!!!! :D

I e-mailed Tech Support and they told me that the problem must be with a Joomla configuration because my IP address is not their server address. Like that really helped :eek:

But anyway, after installing Joomla from scratch a couple of times and I kept getting the same problem (works in IE but not in Firefox, Chrome, or Safari). Then it just occurred to me why it would randomly point to my IP address. I have a local copy of Joomla installed on my laptop and I forwarded my external IP to that computer. So I work on my desktop and connect to Joomla on my laptop by using my external IP.

Here's the problem: I would have my local Joomla opened in one browser, and another Joomla installation on my hosting server opened in another browser window. Then what I wanted to do was copy an article from my local copy to the hosting server. But what I did was that I opened the local article in the backend of Joomla and chose "Select All" then copy. Then I went and pasted into a new article in the backend of the remote installation. The article has a picture in it.

Then for some reason that is beyond me to comprehend, my whole website on the hosting server would randomly point to my IP. It was trying to point to the article on my local machine. But everything works perfectly in Internet Explorer. I mean is this a Joomla bug or is this how it's supposed to work?

As I'm trying to finish my website, everything is working so far. When I need to copy contents, I'm actually copying it to Notepad first then copying it from Notepad to the file on the server. I no longer drag or copy pictures or links over anymore. I made sure that every link and media is new. And so far, so good.

patm1254
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by patm1254 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:15 am

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem...

This is what I have had problems with... It is something within the cookies. I load feng Office (opengoo) and Joomla 1.5... I can have opengoo open on one page and Joomla open on another and everything is fine until I do somthing in opengoo then when I go back and use a link in joomla I get the 404 error message. I can clear it by clearing cookies and everything out of IE. After I clear out my browser and have it restored I get the popup window from opengoo that my session has expired and need to login back in. When I log back in it breaks Joomla.

Any ideas.....

Techbot
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Techbot » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:28 am

move open goo to a sub domain. It is basically your only option.

I'm guessing it is unlikely that either the joomla devs or goo devs would consider this a bug.

nonetheless I'll contact the devs just to let them know.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”