Migrate to Joomla 1.5 bringing Virtuemart too / TUTORIAL

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
FnF
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Migrate to Joomla 1.5 bringing Virtuemart too / TUTORIAL

Post by FnF » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for the "heads up" sparkydog. ;)

sparkydog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sparkydog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 am

RESULTS OF USING THE ETL PLUGIN:

I just finished trying to use the ETL plugin for Virtuemart. My results are mixed, but in the end, it did not work.

I created two .sql files for migration using the migrator tool in order to compare them. One was without the ETL, plugin, so of course, it didn't bring over any vm tables. Not much surprise there.

Then I uploaded all the .php files in the plugin package to the correct administrator/components/com_migrator/plugins folder, and then ran the migrator again and downloaded the .sql file it created. Looking at the file, I saw that it brought over all the tables and the data as well.

Now, in my case, I already had a J 1.5 site to migrate to, so I had to use the Migration Assistant. I installed it into the J 1.5 site, and then tried to import the .sql file with all the vm tables and data. It only installed all the tables up to the jos_vm_manufacturers table. Inspection of the CREATE and INSERT statements for the following table, jos_vm_ manufacturers_category, revealed a regular single quote before jos where a backquote should have been. Subsequent tires to install the sql file threw an error stating that something was wrong with the INSERT statement at roughly the same location.

I looked all over and found nothing wrong with the sql statements. I copied and pasted the same statement into the sql query window in phpMyadmin, and it worked fine. I then copied and pasted all the remaining sql into phpMyadmin, and they worked.

Moral of the story?

In my case, I was using the Migration Assistant, not importing the migration sql file into a fresh Joomla install, so I can't speak for doing it that way. However, there clearly was an error in the one vm table mentioned created by the ETL plugins. It might not have worked after I fixed it due to some file corruption I could not detect since the error returned did not even match the actual sql, and the same statement then worked through phpMyadmin. I know from experience that the backquote error would have caused problems. This error would cause problems no matter how you use the file.

For all the time it took to go through this, I could have simply exported an sql file and then imported it into the other database. I could have done that twenty times for all the time it took to test this out.

My advice is simply to skip the ETL migrator step. You 're going to have a lot more control, and you'll be a lot more sure of the results, if you just export/ import the tables. Or, as the post that started this thread states, if you're on the same server, just copy the tables over. (I was moving from one server to another).

I hope this helps someone avoid unecessary steps...

:8

Jaikaiman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jaikaiman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Great tutorial, thanks. I have a very quick question.

I have a J.1.013 Live Site. I have followed the instructions so far and created a folder with a new J.1.15 install in it, and ive created a new sql dbase.
Does the Com_Migrator step 'Create Migration SQL File' have any effect on the Live site please.

Assuming it doesnt...which would be great...I then use the file during the install process of the new J1.15.

Many thanks in appreciation of a speedy response...

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:01 pm

No the migrator has no effect on the old site but you should have a current back up of the Live site before making any changes such as installing a new extension. JoomlaPack is a good extension for backups.

Jaikaiman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jaikaiman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Thank you

FnF
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FnF » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks dpacadmin, sometimes it takes me a few hours to get back here when one comes through. ;)

premiermc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by premiermc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Great tutorial, thanks.

I have a problem however. All my products have not come across nor has my orders from the old site.

The categories did and the users seem fine just no products and no orders.

Any ideas.

FnF
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FnF » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Sounds like you missed those tables. Can you create a new sql file?

scotsit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scotsit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 am

This is superb!

I have just completed a migration to Joomla 1.5.15 and VM 1.1.4 thanks to your excellent instructions.

The only bit I found quicker than your methods was to use Navicat for my SQL work. Having backed up my previous tables I just restored all my jos_vm tables over the new ones, done.

Thanks again. Great tutorial.

carsten888
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by carsten888 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:39 am

Then click the browse button to upload the sql dump file you created earlier and downloaded from the Migrator component in your old joomla install.
Finally put a check in the box stating this is a 1.0 migration script, and click "Upload and Execute"
The script then takes me to step 1. No errors, nothing is inserted in the database.

When I first make a migration file WITHOUT any VM tables, the import works fine.

sparkydog:
In my case, I was using the Migration Assistant, not importing the migration sql file into a fresh Joomla install, so I can't speak for doing it that way.
I was using a fresh install and it did not work there either. Could there be something wrong with the VM-ETL-migration-plugin?

My update procedure that worked:
- backup everything (always)
- on the J1.0 site, update VM to the latest version (read the update instructions carefully!)
- on the J1.5 site, make sure the same version of VM is installed
- copy-paste all VM tables from the old db to the new db
- check paypal test-settings
http://www.pages-and-items.com my extensions:
User-Private-Page, Redirect-on-Login, Admin-Help-Pages, Dynamic-Menu-Links, Admin-Menu-Manager, plugin load module in article, plugin pure css tooltip and more...

dustdog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dustdog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 am

FnF,
thanks a lot for your perfect instruction. Saved me a big headage!

FnF
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FnF » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 am

Your welcome.
I'm glad it helped people out.

dadset
I've been banned!

Post by dadset » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks dpacadmin , its very usefull