Whats best Migrating to 1.5 or installing 1.5

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
woodwardnrg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Whats best Migrating to 1.5 or installing 1.5

Post by woodwardnrg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 am

Hello,

Help please!

Im wondering whats my best option.

Migrating from version 1.0 to 1.5 or just dump 1.0 and install 1.5 from scratch? I do intend to redo all my templates etc shortly so would 1.5 be the way to go?

I'm new to website managment and construction. Can I upload v1.5 to my server via FTP and then change the root menu to point to that directory?

How do I change the root menu from my existing directory to a new one?

The main reason for doing this is that i'm trying to find version 1.0 native extensions for SEO and SEF. But I'm find it hard to find these could anyone help here to?

Thanks,

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Whats best Migrating to 1.5 or installing 1.5

Post by normdouglas » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:08 am

If you are starting a new site, then naturally you would start with 1.5
Step1. Read the instructions. Step2. Refer to step 1. Step 3. Backup

woodwardnrg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by woodwardnrg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks for the quick reply

I have a site already setup and running and I want to change to 1.5. I know how to install Joomla. But dont know how to change/process from my existing site to the new one ive uploaded 1.5 my server. Once I upload a newer version does it take the old ones place or do I have to do something which makes it the current one. All I want to do is make sure that when my url is typed in it points to the new site/directory.

Sorry if this is not clear. hope you get what trying to achieve, still new at all this.

Thanks,

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 am

I think you are getting confused... if you have an old site, and you have "uploaded" the new one... do you mean you have rebuilt the new one... or is it just a standard Joomla install?

There are migration tools that you can install on your old site, and then use them to migrate to a 1.5. Mind you these generally only work well for simple sites with no 3rd part components

woodwardnrg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by woodwardnrg » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi normdouglas,

I'm most likely getting mixed up. I have site running already and want to do a standard install of v1.5 and start from there. How do I do this when my old site is still running? will it go offline? Can you work on one then transfer across somehow? to the new version of my site?

I could migrate but like you say it may not work well and I have letterman and contact forms running on my current site.

Thanks,

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:03 pm

A joomla install is just like any other site... what you would do is either use a testing environment somewhere (maybe your own PC), or create the new site in a subdirectory on your server. Make sure you don't use the same database as your existing site.

woodwardnrg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by woodwardnrg » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm

How do I setup a testing enironment? i know that I have to create a subdirectory while my current site is running. But what I dont know is what to do next? will it not intertfeare with the current one? how do I set up the site and access it? with the same url? and once complete how do a transfer my url across?

thanks,

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 pm

You can create a subfolder, say testsite, then install Joomla to it. You will need to first create a database for Jomla to use, then during the install it will ask for the database connection info. You would access the Joomla site by its url
www.yourdomainname.com/testsite/

You can also set up a test environment on your computer using sever software. I use WampServer. After you have installed it you create a database with phpMyAdmin(left click the WampaServer icon in your Desktop Tray to access phpMyAdmin), then install Joomla in the www folder. You would access the site;
http://localhost/

woodwardnrg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by woodwardnrg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:44 am

Cheers dpacadmin. I get it (kind of) once I have completed the site. how do I move it across to the main url of my existing site.

Whats best to start with, running locally first or on a commercial server?

Thanks,

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:16 am

Developing locally is easier but testing on the Host will tell you if there is a problem with their server settings. I develop in WampServer then upload to the Host server and hope there are no problems.

The simplest way to move a site is to install JoomlaPack and then create a backup file. Then create a new database on the server you are moving to. Download KickStart from the creators of JoomlaPack and then upload it along with the backup file to the Host site. Go to the kickstart.php file with your browser and the install will start.

woodwardnrg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by woodwardnrg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:41 am

I want to upload to my server so, is this what I do?
I create a new directory on my hosting server and then ftp joomla to that directory and install from there. how would I access the new site when my url/administrator is pointing to my existing site I have running
I have a site running and I'm worried that I will overwrite it. what stops this from happening.
Once im finished on my new site how do I change my URL to direct to that site/directory/database.

I'm lacking a bit on the knowledge but really appraciate your help.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm

woodwardnrg wrote: I create a new directory on my hosting server and then ftp joomla to that directory and install from there.
You first need to create a new database on your Host site to install Joomla into. Create a directory, say "newsite", then install Joomla in that directory and use the connection info for the new database you created when the install asks for it.

You connect to your Joomla site with the url of your current site plus the directory name
http://www.your_current_site.com/newsite

When you are ready to make the Joomla site your real site, backup all your old site files in the root folder then delete then from the root folder. Copy all the Jomla files and folders in the "newsite" folder to the root folder. Edit the configuration.php file by removing the newsite directory name from the path for the tmp and logs folder.

Your Joomla site will now be at
http://www.your_current_site.com

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:30 am

woodwardnrg wrote:How do I setup a testing enironment? i know that I have to create a subdirectory while my current site is running. But what I dont know is what to do next? will it not intertfeare with the current one? how do I set up the site and access it? with the same url? and once complete how do a transfer my url across?

thanks,
This is what something like WAMP is for... local testing/developing prior to ever going near a live environment.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”